First XI selling price?

Monkeypuzzle

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

The purpose of this thread was clearly to celebrate how well the club has bought and developed talent compared to many of our rivals. It's celebrating our success. You can't achieve anything in football without good recruitment.

I feel like if you're interpreting that as a negative then your outlook is the one that's negative.  I think you should relax and join everyone else in being happy that we've assembled a good squad relatively cheaply, which puts us in a good position to keep improving. 

Nah I just gave my opinion and then a few people gave a response to me and then replied like I'm doing to yourself. 

I agree when I saw the thread it looks like a negative outlook....probably not the right phrase, more like a small club like what teams like Brighton and co would do and their fans would do.  It's not success though is it? i think you have to be so careful with that word because if you believe it is success then you are already slowing down the train as if you have reached something. 

We have assembled a great recruitment team, they should be assembling a great squad (that doesnt mean it happens) but we are progressing very well in the right direction and we must keep continuing but celebrating now feels like we are happy where we are, which we are not.   

I'm delighted we have assembled a good squad, which puts us in a good position to keep improving.

I guess some of us have a different view of this thread to others but that's what is great about a forum.

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

This thread was clearly a hypothetical light hearted look at how much the players are worth now after the excellent work done on the training pitch and in the games over the last two seasons. 

Saying Jack is worth more than the world record fee is hardly small club mentality. We can demand what we want for Mings and Konsa after the Slabhead maths again is not small club mentality.

Just light hearted fun.

Thank you, I didn't intend to upset anyone with my "small club mentality". I just thought "£54 million was a lot for Ben White, I wonder how much a club would have to offer us before we considered selling our players?" Apparently fun speculation linked to our recent success is insulting to some people here who just decide to post negative statements designed to make others feel stupid and dress it up with "that's just my opinion".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I agree just have issues with discussing all players prices etc, just feels very negative look at the club.  Hard to explain, whereas I'm looking who can buy, where we can grow, what options we have...some are thinking how much all are players are worth if we sell.  Individually I dont mind but looking at all just feels defeatist somehow as if we are creating a 'For Sale' board of our available players like a shop.  Probably just my mentality...

It is totally mentality, for me it's all about the upgrade. What can I get for X so I can buy Y who is better rather than having sales 'forced on us'

• Like 1

On 09/07/2021 at 13:32, Kiwivillan said:

Dr Evil GIF by Product Hunt

Who cares tbh. This is small team thinking. Liverpool fans don't calculate team value. This implies players for sale. 

I think that team value is incredibly important but that it could also be small team thinking.

Our owners are business people and they’re investing in the team ultimately to see a financial gain. Purslow talked about the increase in the value of our players at the fans consultation group the other week. The owners are investing for the long term that is why they are good owners but they still want to see that the hundreds of millions they are pouring into transfer fees isn’t being wasted.

I am not sure how the increased value of the players gets added to the balance sheet in a technical accounting sense but they need to see some measure of increasing the value of their assets if we as fans want to continue to see the owners investing in large transfer fees.

In fact that’s more important to the owners than winning things. Winning trophies is a means to increasing the value of the owners assets rather than an end in itself. From their point of view.

On the other hand it could be small team thinking if we are just seeing our club as a stepping stone for players on their way to the top.

The juggling act is to get the club to the top table for a sustained period of time so that you can vastly improve the club’s revenue to the levels of the sad six while vaguely balancing the books. Which is what Leicester are doing to some extent.

I think our business model will require us to sell players at a profit at some point. We need to replace the players we make a profit on with better ones like Liverpool did with Coutinho. I think in our model if we have a top youth player coming through we need to sell the established star blocking their route into the team for a handsome profit. It needs to be in such a way that the other established stars left at the club still believe that the club are going forwards.

Â