Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

15 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Sadly pal, I have a feeling we won't see him at all.

I know they say that the end justifies the means and if we win tonight Southgate deserves a huge amount of credit for achieving something that better managers couldn’t achieve in over 50yrs, but I just don’t understand why, when he is blessed with such brilliant offensive players that he goes so defensive. 

That formation is basically 7-0-3. 

Edited by av1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm currently watching Wimbledon on the BBC with 5 Live commentary on iPlayer, and I like it. Apparently it will be possible to do the same for the footie.

Did it for the last couple of games mate. Much much better than the TV “experts”

Edit: Just press the red button 

Edited by av1

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I know they say that the end justifies the means and if we win tonight Southgate deserves a huge amount of credit for achieving something that better managers couldn’t achieve in over 50yrs, but I just understand why, when he is blessed with such brilliant offensive players that he goes so defensive. 

Southgate knows what he is doing................apparently?

But I tell you one thing, we will struggle our asses off with the pace they have. If he thinks we can defend against this Italian team for 70 minutes he's having a laugh.

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I know they say that the end justifies the means and if we win tonight Southgate deserves a huge amount of credit for achieving something that better managers couldn’t achieve in over 50yrs, but I just understand why, when he is blessed with such brilliant offensive players that he goes so defensive. 

Southgate is not a very technically gifted coach and the time to put into place what is right, what is possible, has sadly long passed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Southgate is not a very technically gifted coach and the time to put into place what is right, what is possible, has sadly long passed.

Yep, we knew this would happen

Can't be pissed about rice and phillips starting because that was obvious a year ago let alone 3 weeks ago

Mount is the only thing I'm disappointed with, not a grealish thing either, would rather have sancho or saka in there too 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

That formation is basically 7-1-1 

Kane will be in midfield trying to get the ball, Stirling will be bustling a gut but there will be no one there, Mount will be MIA.... 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, we knew this would happen

Can't be pissed about rice and phillips starting because that was obvious a year ago let alone 3 weeks ago

Mount is the only thing I'm disappointed with, not a grealish thing either, would rather have sancho or saka in there too 

I like Mount but he's been off a touch which could be down to tactics (sore rectum probs), 

Jack Mount Foden/Saka behind Kane should be the basis of the team and build around that, I'm not Sterling fan, he has done well but we have better, make HIM the impact sub for me. Rice/Phillips behind with an good all rounder. Defence can be any, not a lot of difference between any of them.

Too late for today though but going forward we need an approach that befits the talent we have.

UTD have just paid £80m for Sancho, City are reportedly ready to pay £100m for Grealish, and would probably value Foden at a similar price. Saka is the next big thing in world football imho and Southgate goes 7-1-3. 

I hope more than anything we win tonight but the idea of Southgate being knighted for this shit doesn’t sit well with me. 

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

I like Mount but he's been off a touch which could be down to tactics (sore rectum probs), 

Jack Mount Foden/Saka behind Kane should be the basis of the team and build around that, I'm not Sterling fan, he has done well but we have better, make HIM the impact sub for me. Rice/Phillips behind with an good all rounder. Defence can be any, not a lot of difference between any of them.

Too late for today though but going forward we need an approach that befits the talent we have.

Sterling has been our best player this tournament, says a lot about our quality going forward but he has been and imo its blinkered or disingenuous to say otherwise 

The time to make him an impact sub has gone too

We are lining up with about 5 things that pre tournament no one wanted but it's got us this far... Too late to change 

Sterling has been our best player this tournament, says a lot about our quality going forward but he has been and imo its blinkered or disingenuous to say otherwise 

The time to make him an impact sub has gone too

We are lining up with about 5 things that pre tournament no one wanted but it's got us this far... Too late to change 

Yes too late now, I'll save the Sterling argument for another day when you've hopefully been given more ammunition to prove me wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Vile not allowed to drink in Wimbledon mate, they have to drink at Queens, Won’t let them anywhere near centre court mate. Proper blues was Ginny Wade, 200,000 in when she won in 77, Cliff Richard said he has never seen anything like it mate, Especially not from the Vile mate. English number one crashed and burned do you know why? Yes he is a Viler mate KRO

mate

Brilliant, the Footmeister has been on the lash ready ... SOTC

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Yes too late now, I'll save the Sterling argument for another day when you've hopefully been given more ammunition to prove me wrong.

Don't get me wrong he's our best player because Southgate plays through him and base's our attack on him

There are at least 3 players in the squad that if he was to do the same they would be the best player

Unfortunately the long ball over the top of the full back for the winger to run on to is the easiest attacking tactic in all of football and sterling is the most suited to it so that's what we go with 

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong he's our best player because Southgate plays through him and base's our attack on him

There are at least 3 players in the squad that if he was to do the same they would be the best player

Unfortunately the long ball over the top of the full back for the winger to run on to is the easiest attacking tactic in all of football and sterling is the most suited to it so that's what we go with 

That's true, like I said earlier, Southgate is not a technically sound coach, we've done well to get here, we've had a favourable draw, we have a false world ranking so I think Italy are the favourites, so being the toughest opposition so far, the defensive approach ain't that bad all told.

• Like 1

As depressing as that line up is, it can’t come as a surprise to anyone, surely? 

Anyway let’s not get too down, we’ve got a wonderful 70 mins of defensive back passing to look forward to. Can’t wait for the last 20 when he hopefully puts the team right and brings on Grealish for Mount, and Henderson* for Rice/Phillips. Then we finally see the midfield space occupied with forward thinking footballers, rather than Phillips, Rice, Kane and a load of Italians. 

Edit: *I’d use Bellingham but we know Southgate prefers ‘Hendo’.

Edited by It's Your Round

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Sterling might be taking all the praise at the moment, but a few taps ins for me, is not a sign of player of the tournament, it's just Southgate has tried nothing else since he scored his first goal, so who knows how good we could be with someone else, who don't run down blind alleys, run the ball out of play when there are players in goal scoring positions (Denmark), one of the greediest footballers we have ever played. Guardiola dropped him and gave him that rollocking for this reason, but Southgate knows best aye!

When Kane played as the main man against Ukraine and left Sterling to drop deep, we looked so much better.

Sterling has 1 assist in 6 games. I’d expect Jack, Rashford, Foden etc to better that stat.

If Italy move the ball through the midfield as quickly as they did against Spain then Rice and Phillips will be chasing shadows.

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Sterling might be taking all the praise at the moment, but a few taps ins for me, is not a sign of player of the tournament, it's just Southgate has tried nothing else since he scored his first goal, so who knows how good we could be with someone else, who don't run down blind alleys, run the ball out of play when there are players in goal scoring positions (Denmark), one of the greediest footballers we have ever played. Guardiola dropped him and gave him that rollocking for this reason, but Southgate knows best aye!

When Kane played as the main man against Ukraine and left Sterling to drop deep, we looked so much better.

Sterling and Pickford look world class based on the stats of this tournament.

Â