Tammy Abraham

nick76

3 hours ago, ramshackler said:

The thought of us offering £40 million for TA makes me cry to be honest. Great lad and attitude but he’s a decent player at this level nothing more and needs too many chances to score. He doesn’t have the sheer work rate of Ollie.

if there was an opportunity at around £20-25m I wouldn’t be averse to it as I said he is decent and a good egg but he just isn’t an elite striker worth the money being talked about

but every signing sets a benchmark for the next one, its all relative.

11 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford, Martial...

Salah, Mane, Firmino, Origi, Jota...

Vardy, Iheanacho, Daka, Perez...

Chelsea and Man City will bring in high profile strikers for sure.

We simply cannot go into the season reliant on Ollie. Irrespective of potential injuries or suspensions, we need someone to challenge Watkins, allow us to make changes tactically or for loss of form, and have options to alter our system. We've been too used to a "starting XI", but the teams that want to be at the top need to have a usable and capable squad. No one should be undroppable and, if players are good enough, they'll play.

Not saying it will be Tammy, but I'll be surprised if we don't bring in another striker. 

But the ones you've listed all have a position in the XI. The only club that has genuine competition for striker, where the players competing aren't already in the XI and playing together is Chelsea. And they're trying to sell them.

3 of Mane, Salah, Jota and Firmino play every game.

3 of Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford and Martial play every game.

For those two clubs, the one that doesn't play can pretty much cover any of them.

Leicester, yes. But they waited 4 years for Iheanacho to come good whilst Vardy was their main guy. at £40m we don't have that with Tammy. They're now at a position where they have to buy Vardys replacement. Let's also not forget the strikers they've wasted money on during that time too.

I'm fine with a forward coming in, but they need to be more like the first two clubs, a player who can play anywhere. 

There's just no chance we spend 30-40m on another forward. We play 1 up front and that will be Watkins, we won't be having Wes (23m) and Tammy (30-40m) sitting on our bench. If Wes leaves, which I think is highly unlikely, then maybe we can look but it still won't be Tammy. For that kind of money we need to improve the starting 11 not the squad, if we get Europe next season then we can start to look at these kind of squad improvement.

Watkins has played up front the last 2 seasons, it's his best position and how he's got so many goals. It's also how he got into the England team, he will not be shifted out wide. If we were going to do that to fit in Tammy then just buy a 30m+ winger instead.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Young and hungry you say?😉

image.jpeg.a46036f06910ff1b3ec247efd9f73401.jpeg

However, they've also proved with the Young signing and the pursuit of Mandzukic that older players with something to offer are not off the table. There won't be signings like Lescott or Joe Hart or similar but signing or trying to sign players who've been at the top of the game for a sustained period such as the two mentioned will happen from time to time. It's just not the main strategy.

I have faith in the manager, coaches etc to sign the right players. It’s just when they make these comments and 12, 18 months later actually do what they said they wouldn’t do.

11 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

But the ones you've listed all have a position in the XI. The only club that has genuine competition for striker, where the players competing aren't already in the XI and playing together is Chelsea. And they're trying to sell them.

3 of Mane, Salah, Jota and Firmino play every game.

3 of Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford and Martial play every game.

For those two clubs, the one that doesn't play can pretty much cover any of them.

Leicester, yes. But they waited 4 years for Iheanacho to come good whilst Vardy was their main guy. at £40m we don't have that with Tammy. They're now at a position where they have to buy Vardys replacement. Let's also not forget the strikers they've wasted money on during that time too.

I'm fine with a forward coming in, but they need to be more like the first two clubs, a player who can play anywhere. 

That's a good point, but the one that misses out in those examples is still a quality striker. 

Leicester have waited for Iheanacho to come good, but now that he has, that's not stopped them getting Daka. They're not all going to start, but they'll push each other harder to ensure they're the first pick.

I don't know if Tammy is our choice or not, but there's no doubt that we need to add a quality forward. Last season, as great as he was, there was a poor run of form where nothing was going in for Ollie. That alone showed the need for another capable forward to rotate into the starting line-up if the manager deemed it necessary.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I have faith in the manager, coaches etc to sign the right players. It’s just when they make these comments and 12, 18 months later actually do what they said they wouldn’t do.

Situations change, unforeseen problems can arise as can unforeseen opportunities. We can have a policy but it would be folly to always stick rigidly to it. We also shouldn’t expect the hierarchy to tell the entire world the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. It’s not a perfect world. 

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not aiming this at anyone specifically but we need to see past this, if we get into Europe we can buy better players attitude. We won’t be leaving it to a stroke of luck, the time to invest is now, so that we are good enough to get into Europe. 

That also gives a squad that we can build on once we’ve qualified instead of completely rebuilding. The progress has to be constant and at a fairly rapid rate because no body is waiting for us. The clamour for Jack is already huge, it will only intensify after next year’s World Cup.

We can’t still be a project making baby steps. The die is cast, the owners understand this and I believe their aim is to continue to make huge strides forward. We’re not knocking on the door and waiting patiently to be invited in. We’ve brought a battering ram with the intention of storming the castle!!

1_vuc28jOdoioeOOutIG6LGA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

There's just no chance we spend 30-40m on another forward. We play 1 up front and that will be Watkins, we won't be having Wes (23m) and Tammy (30-40m) sitting on our bench. If Wes leaves, which I think is highly unlikely, then maybe we can look but it still won't be Tammy. For that kind of money we need to improve the starting 11 not the squad, if we get Europe next season then we can start to look at these kind of squad improvement.

Watkins has played up front the last 2 seasons, it's his best position and how he's got so many goals. It's also how he got into the England team, he will not be shifted out wide. If we were going to do that to fit in Tammy then just buy a 30m+ winger instead.

The starting 11 shouldn't pick itself. We need a squad where people are pushing for a start based on merit. Ollie has no competition at all for his spot.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Situations change, unforeseen problems can arise as can unforeseen opportunities. We can have a policy but it would be folly to always stick rigidly to it. We also shouldn’t expect the hierarchy to tell the entire world the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. It’s not a perfect world. 

I agree mate, I just believe you don’t make the comments in the first place. As the club should make the best decision with the information it has in front of them at the time.

4 hours ago, ramshackler said:

The thought of us offering £40 million for TA makes me cry to be honest. Great lad and attitude but he’s a decent player at this level nothing more and needs too many chances to score. He doesn’t have the sheer work rate of Ollie.

if there was an opportunity at around £20-25m I wouldn’t be averse to it as I said he is decent and a good egg but he just isn’t an elite striker worth the money being talked about

I find this to many chances arguement pointlessz the reason being if your one of those saying it then why are you also no doubt one of those throwing your weight behind Anwar El Ghazi?

Let's face it just because you get on the end more than what others do doesn't mean your useless. It all could mean you have great position and get yourself in a world of good chances over others.

Tammy himself yes does have alot of chances but I'd rather have a player who puts them away and gets those chances than no chances at all and doesn't put many away.

For all we know if we have Tammy at Villa he could get better in these departments you lot are trying to pull him down over. I see no reason why he can t be given or afforded the chance just like many others have been who were not even known players to us.

Buying Tammy at 40 million could also raise the player that we lure here, it maybe we have to pass through Tammy to get to the next better signing it in doing so we have to purchase a 40 mill player to cick on. We need a striker, one that competes with Watkins, one that has the potential to get better and one that has already an ace record with the club at helping them achieve the next level.

I just don't understand some people and how you can look down at Tammy coming at Villa, some of these points people are making are daft, he deserves the shot at villa if Villa can make it happen. Then there's the fact are you who are frowning up on Tammy now going to be pissed if he does join, because you have to see it as if he joins us he's obviously seen as someone who can benefit us for the upcoming season and on.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

I find this to many chances arguement pointlessz the reason being if your one of those saying it then why are you also no doubt one of those throwing your weight behind Anwar El Ghazi?

Let's face it just because you get on the end more than what others do doesn't mean your useless. It all could mean you have great position and get yourself in a world of good chances over others.

Tammy himself yes does have alot of chances but I'd rather have a player who puts them away and gets those chances than no chances at all and doesn't put many away.

For all we know if we have Tammy at Villa he could get better in these departments you lot are trying to pull him down over. I see no reason why he can t be given or afforded the chance just like many others have been who were not even known players to us.

Buying Tammy at 40 million could also raise the player that we lure here, it maybe we have to pass through Tammy to get to the next better signing it in doing so we have to purchase a 40 mill player to cick on. We need a striker, one that competes with Watkins, one that has the potential to get better and one that has already an ace record with the club at helping them achieve the next level.

I just don't understand some people and how you can look down at Tammy coming at Villa, some of these points people are making are daft, he deserves the shot at villa if Villa can make it happen. Then there's the fact are you who are frowning up on Tammy now going to be pissed if he does join, because you have to see it as if he joins us he's obviously seen as someone who can benefit us for the upcoming season and on.

Don't think fans are looking down on Tammy, he just is an inferior player to Watkins. That's all there is to it.

He had his shot. He turned us down to play for Chelsea, and now we have a better striker. Too late for him.

We're not wasting 40-50M for a bench player. Forget about it.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Don't think fans are looking down on Tammy, he just is an inferior player to Watkins. That's all there is to it.

He had his shot. He turned us down to play for Chelsea, and now we have a better striker. Too late for him.

We're not wasting 40-50M for a bench player. Forget about it.

He's not necessarily an inferior player to Watkins, this is just people judging the idea of him coming here and putting him down before he's even kicked a ball for us. It's like playing a video game for 5 mins and calling it crap or watching a film and not watching it all but giving your view on the entire film. If played right could be the type of player Villa needs to go alongside Watkins up front.

As someone said the other day pages back we can't have just Watkins for an entire season. While ever we have Davis who can't fire home a good amount, Wesley still has question marks above his name and may not be able to get any part of himself back, we can't rest on hopes and wishes. It would be mental going into next season with what we have for upfront, again as others have put it to the rest what if Watkins gets a bad injury, our season has gone and any hopes of us entering Europe. We have to bring someone in who can pick up the slack and Tammy could do it.

Some of you are concerned that he could take over from Watkins which if he does then surely he deserves it. Some are concerned that Tammy isn't good enough yet if Lange and Smith get him here he surely deserves the opportunity. Some think he shouldn't be brought here, whatever the reason you have is not enough because Watkins needs competition and Davis and Wesley won't be able to do that. I wonder what Watkins would say about it all, I bet he'd be up for Tammy coming to Villa and even being a direct threat to his position because that's the type of character he is, he wants to keep getting better. Isn't the best thing for Villa that we take it up a notch? Having Tam Tam would soon take us up a notch in a few different ways.

There is also no reason why we can't have both at the club, no reason what so ever and no reason why both Watkins and Tammy can't be promised decent game time.

I take it what you guys say about Tammy but in reality Watkins himself has had goal droubts last season and for some games also. Watkins isn't perfect and some of you make out that Tammy brought in to Villa couldnt be direct competition to Watkins, that is absolutely rubbish. Im pretty sure one of the reason why Smith likes and praises Tammy so much is because of how much Tammy reminds him of Watkins. When Tammy was with us he displayed with so much ease the abilities and traits that made Watkins score so many in the championship. In fact Tammy and Watkins when they work off the ball are alot alike and I think it should be obvious to many of you as to why Smith eventually bought and brought Watkins here to Villa. When Villas coach(Smith) is always praising Tammy you have to believe he admires things about the lad that he believes could get a job done at Villa, he thought it in the championship and it seems his thoughts have not changed.

We paid 33 million for Watkins (7mill shorter than a Tammy ask price) and before he came here the same type of response was handed out by some of you. I do understand the caution but the difference here is that we've seen Tammy play and he's not an unknown, he gave his all for Villa and fans loved him. Now since Villa and going back to Chelsea hes since then sharped his skills more. Tammy would come in and give it his all and do the best job he could for Villa. I believe he and Watkins if they were paired together that maybe in a season or few could be England's next pair of forwards, they both have the ability to.

This whole idea he's Inferior is annoying, considering he was on the list of forwards to go to the Euro's wasn't here? There must of been reasons why he was in the list and just missed out like Watkins. Now some may say well Watkins is better, the answer really is Watkins has played a damn sight more than Tammy and was give a decent chance to impress. If Tammy had been with us last season we would of seen much of both Tammy and Watkins because Smith would of been able to change it up which would of made more clubs without a doubt struggle against us because we wouldn't of been as easy to figure out.

It's like the debate about Grealish and how we were easy to figure it which we were. This coming season we won't be so easy to figure out because we have Buendia. We need the same to happen with Watkins, we need another player who's on Watkins level and who we can make different plans with and change the game up and Tammy would allow us to do that.

Now it doesn't have to be Tammy and if Smith do not bring him in, then so long as they bring someone in who can provide a challenge to Watkins, then that would be ace but we have to trust the choices made by our chiefs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

We aren't interested in Tammy at the moment according to The Athletic

🤐

Have they ever been right about us about anything? Not exactly a reliable source

9 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

He's not necessarily an inferior player to Watkins, this is just people judging the idea of him coming here and putting him down before he's even kicked a ball for us. It's like playing a video game for 5 mins and calling it crap or watching a film and not watching it all but giving your view on the entire film. If played right could be the type of player Villa needs to go alongside Watkins up front.

As someone said the other day pages back we can't have just Watkins for an entire season. While ever we have Davis who can't fire home a good amount, Wesley still has question marks above his name and may not be able to get any part of himself back, we can't rest on hopes and wishes. It would be mental going into next season with what we have for upfront, again as others have put it to the rest what if Watkins gets a bad injury, our season has gone and any hopes of us entering Europe. We have to bring someone in who can pick up the slack and Tammy could do it.

Some of you are concerned that he could take over from Watkins which if he does then surely he deserves it. Some are concerned that Tammy isn't good enough yet if Lange and Smith get him here he surely deserves the opportunity. Some think he shouldn't be brought here, whatever the reason you have is not enough because Watkins needs competition and Davis and Wesley won't be able to do that. I wonder what Watkins would say about it all, I bet he'd be up for Tammy coming to Villa and even being a direct threat to his position because that's the type of character he is, he wants to keep getting better. Isn't the best thing for Villa that we take it up a notch? Having Tam Tam would soon take us up a notch in a few different ways.

There is also no reason why we can't have both at the club, no reason what so ever and no reason why both Watkins and Tammy can't be promised decent game time.

I take it what you guys say about Tammy but in reality Watkins himself has had goal droubts last season and for some games also. Watkins isn't perfect and some of you make out that Tammy brought in to Villa couldnt be direct competition to Watkins, that is absolutely rubbish. Im pretty sure one of the reason why Smith likes and praises Tammy so much is because of how much Tammy reminds him of Watkins. When Tammy was with us he displayed with so much ease the abilities and traits that made Watkins score so many in the championship. In fact Tammy and Watkins when they work off the ball are alot alike and I think it should be obvious to many of you as to why Smith eventually bought and brought Watkins here to Villa. When Villas coach(Smith) is always praising Tammy you have to believe he admires things about the lad that he believes could get a job done at Villa, he thought it in the championship and it seems his thoughts have not changed.

We paid 33 million for Watkins (7mill shorter than a Tammy ask price) and before he came here the same type of response was handed out by some of you. I do understand the caution but the difference here is that we've seen Tammy play and he's not an unknown, he gave his all for Villa and fans loved him. Now since Villa and going back to Chelsea hes since then sharped his skills more. Tammy would come in and give it his all and do the best job he could for Villa. I believe he and Watkins if they were paired together that maybe in a season or few could be England's next pair of forwards, they both have the ability to.

This whole idea he's Inferior is annoying, considering he was on the list of forwards to go to the Euro's wasn't here? There must of been reasons why he was in the list and just missed out like Watkins. Now some may say well Watkins is better, the answer really is Watkins has played a damn sight more than Tammy and was give a decent chance to impress. If Tammy had been with us last season we would of seen much of both Tammy and Watkins because Smith would of been able to change it up which would of made more clubs without a doubt struggle against us because we wouldn't of been as easy to figure out.

It's like the debate about Grealish and how we were easy to figure it which we were. This coming season we won't be so easy to figure out because we have Buendia. We need the same to happen with Watkins, we need another player who's on Watkins level and who we can make different plans with and change the game up and Tammy would allow us to do that.

Now it doesn't have to be Tammy and if Smith do not bring him in, then so long as they bring someone in who can provide a challenge to Watkins, then that would be ace but we have to trust the choices made by our chiefs. 

Before he's even kicked a ball?

I've watched Tammy countless times in a Villa shirt. Watkins has a lot more to his game. For all Tammy's good attributes he lacks in the pressing department and he is clumsy on the ball. Looks like he is playing on ice at times, and it comes to no surprise to me that a top manager doesn't fancy him.

We are playing a one striker system and actively looking for a number 10 with Jack and Buendia as wingers. Your idea of Watkins and Tammy in the same starting eleven isn't plausible in the way we play.

I respect that you like him as a player but there is just no way that the club is in for him. Not a chance. The signing doesn't make sense.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

but there is just no way that the club is in for him. Not a chance. The signing doesn't make sense.

In your opinion, others feel different

Â