Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

12 minutes ago, macandally said:

De Bruyne said the other day that for his position pass completion is irrelevant, as if he is hitting high numbers he is not doing his job.

Buendia is the same for us, he should be trying those passes inside the full back and in between the centre half’s.  Ergo, he will give it away more.

I am not going to argue his stats can improve, that goes across the team but it’s always the same handful of people targeting him.  As before, boring now  

This argument only stacks up if it’s only the  difficult passes that are dragging your percentage down. The annoying thing about Buendia is the amount of times he misplaces a simple pass or gets easily dispossessed, often through lack of awareness. You rarely see KDB falling foul of those things.

He really divides opinion Buendia which normally means his real value falls somewhere in the middle of the extremity views. I think that he will be a squad player next season. He is a useful option to have around but he has rarely been consistent enough to continue as a guaranteed starter.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He really divides opinion Buendia which normally means his real value falls somewhere in the middle of the extremity views. I think that he will be a squad player next season. He is a useful option to have around but he has rarely been consistent enough to continue as a guaranteed starter.

Yeah that’s fine. I’ve been broadly speaking pro Buendia and I would say that if we want to be a regular top six side he wouldn’t be a regular starter. His role could/would be more of an impact sub. That’s always been my view on him.

There’s this sense from some that “We’d never progress with the likes of Buendia”. If we were currently 11th to 14th in the table, they might have a point.  

But we HAVE progressed with a player like Buendia featuring for us (cue all credit going to Emery now). We’re on course for our best season in 12 years. He, and others, can’t have been that bad.

Unless on his arrival people felt like he was the key from us jumping up from 11th to solid top six finishes. In which case I think they were setting themselves up for a fall.

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

No reactions left, but finally, someone who sees this!

I don't even say it to pick at Watkins, because I know when he's on it he gives us so much in many areas.

However, Buendia relies on those 'deadly' runs. Hence why he often looked like a different player when Ings was on the pitch.

I think if you had Buendia behind someone like Archer (providing he can make the step up), you'd see a different player. It's what Buendia's game is all about.

What you are saying is Buendia would be better if he had an inferior striker in front of him. Pukki not good enough, neither was Ings. They are both a bit slow, so had to make runs where by they peel off into space. Watkins is on the shoulder of the last defender trying to get in behind. This is how Emery wants his strikers to play. Emery like quick striker that can stretch the opposition. A striker like Pukki or Ings will not be signed. 

Buendia just isn't good enough technique wise. He struggles to get his head up when under pressure carrying the football, so he either overplays or he hopeful passes into space. The Norwich team he excelled in was a championship quality team. They were last in the Premier league, he was the third highest chance creator in the league. But he took all the set pieces. 

He is a good player, but not a top player. He isn't good enough to be a first choice for a premier league team that has European football.

Doesn't matter how much we like him, just isn't that good!

Unfortunately the same can be said for Bailey. Bailey's problem is he isn't an intelligent footballer. He has pace, skill, a lovely striker of a football, but lacks the footballing IQ.

Buendia on the other hand, has a reasonable football IQ, good touch and eye for a pass, but completely lacks any athletic ability, and he doesn’t have the required top level technique to make up for that. He also lacks composure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

I prefer chances created as a stat but I can never find that stat.

FYI I believe that stat is called “key passes”, a pass which leads to a shot 

Buendia has 1.1 key passes per game this season versus 2.3 for Norwich in the premier league and 3.1 in the Championship, so the stats are showing he’s not as effective 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, david-avfc said:

FYI I believe that stat is called “key passes”, a pass which leads to a shot 

Buendia has 1.1 key passes per game this season versus 2.3 for Norwich in the premier league and 3.1 in the Championship, so the stats are showing he’s not as effective 

At  Norwich he took the set pieces. That's the difference.

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

What you are saying is Buendia would be better if he had an inferior striker in front of him. Pukki not good enough, neither was Ings. They are both a bit slow, so had to make runs where by they peel off into space. Watkins is on the shoulder of the last defender trying to get in behind. This is how Emery wants his strikers to play. Emery like quick striker that can stretch the opposition. A striker like Pukki or Ings will not be signed. 

Buendia just isn't good enough technique wise. He struggles to get his head up when under pressure carrying the football, so he either overplays or he hopeful passes into space. The Norwich team he excelled in was a championship quality team. They were last in the Premier league, he was the third highest chance creator in the league. But he took all the set pieces. 

He is a good player, but not a top player. He isn't good enough to be a first choice for a premier league team that has European football.

Doesn't matter how much we like him, just isn't that good!

Unfortunately the same can be said for Bailey. Bailey's problem is he isn't an intelligent footballer. He has pace, skill, a lovely striker of a football, but lacks the footballing IQ.

Buendia on the other hand, has a reasonable football IQ, good touch and eye for a pass, but completely lacks any athletic ability, and he doesn’t have the required top level technique to make up for that. He also lacks composure.

No, I didn't say inferior, just that type of run, Watkins does not make those types of runs. If he did, Buendia would be finding him a lot more. You say Watkins makes runs on the shoulder of the last defender, but Ings actually did this a lot more? Hence why Buendia used to create so many chances for him. Did you not notice that?

Doubt you're gonna get it if you haven't by now tbh.

Edited by Tom13

Buendia was a key part of our recent run of form which was top 4ish in the league. We have a couple of bad results and now he needs replacing.

I see his flaws, and I think we need to sign another one or two options in the attacking mid positions, but come on… selling him this summer? Why? He’ll be a regular starter next season. Emery clearly trusts him.

• Like 3

Just now, KentVillan said:

Buendia was a key part of our recent run of form which was top 4ish in the league. We have a couple of bad results and now he needs replacing.

I see his flaws, and I think we need to sign another one or two options in the attacking mid positions, but come on… selling him this summer? Why? He’ll be a regular starter next season. Emery clearly trusts him.

No chance he starts for us next season if we get our recruitment right. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

He spends most of his time towards the centre/right area of the pitch, which is where we are weak. Once we have sorted that right side out over the summer it should help him a lot.

There are games where he doesn't get much of the ball and when he does he tries to force it or do too much. He's certainly not the problem but I could see him being converted to play the RM slot.

7 hours ago, M_Afro said:

This argument only stacks up if it’s only the  difficult passes that are dragging your percentage down. The annoying thing about Buendia is the amount of times he misplaces a simple pass or gets easily dispossessed, often through lack of awareness. You rarely see KDB falling foul of those things.

I believe the more the threat around him, the more space he will have to play.  Our main threat is Watkins, centre halves nullify that and the midfield can swamp Buendia.

Need that second striker, wide threat.  It’s not any individual, it’s the collective that needs fixing and the individuals will thrive 

1 hour ago, macandally said:

I believe the more the threat around him, the more space he will have to play.  Our main threat is Watkins, centre halves nullify that and the midfield can swamp Buendia.

Need that second striker, wide threat.  It’s not any individual, it’s the collective that needs fixing and the individuals will thrive 

Maybe. A bit certainly but he really needs to cut down on the sloppiness and the petulance. Until he does he will never become a regular in an Unai team.

20 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Maybe. A bit certainly but he really needs to cut down on the sloppiness and the petulance. Until he does he will never become a regular in an Unai team.

He is a regular in an Unai team?

Â