Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

14 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Can't agree with that, although he was very good. 

He made team of the year twice and I think the only player in Premier League history to win player of the month 3 times in a calendar year

Can some one find a heat map of the Leicester game vs an earlier game? i don't know where to find them

It appeared that Emi's positioning has improved - less running around aimlessly as well as often being in that inside channel half space 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Without going completely off topic, Ashley Young first spell gets overlooked and was better than Grealish 

Yeah I don't think that's true. As a winger he was good but not Jack good—still good though, and gave us some amazing moments. My memory is also tainted by his final season when he was rubbish as a number 10.

Edited by Rolta

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t know who our best is but I think Luiz, Ramsey and Kamara are better players. 

Luiz and Kamara I agree with as being our best players, but I would add Martinez and Buendia as being equally good.

Ramsey is still a work in progress.

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Luiz and Kamara I agree with as being our best players, but I would add Martinez and Buendia as being equally good.

Ramsey is still a work in progress.

Sorry but Buendia has done nothing to deserve being in our top 5 players list, let alone being spoken of in the same breath as Martinez. You can probably count his good performances on one hand. He might have one man if the match award in one and a half seasons.

He played well at the weekend, but it wasn't like he was unplayable, and we lost! Buendia isn't anywhere near being a nailed on starter, like Martinez, Kamara, Luiz, Mings, and even Watkins (who has done far more at Villa then Buendia). Bailey has more goals, assists, and man of the match awards, but gets constantly hammered on here.

Seriously I like Buendia, he is talented, and he tries his best. But his lack of pace, strength, and not being a capable ball carrier hamper his effectiveness.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rolta said:

Yeah I don't think that's true. As a winger he was good but not Jack good—still good though, and gave us some amazing moments. My memory is also tainted by his final season when he was rubbish as a number 10.

So hard to compare, Grealish more individually talented but Young proved more effective as part of a team. I think his output was stronger in terms of goals and assists,

Grealish probably better at carrying the ball, Young significantly better at set pieces and delivery into the box. 

Young got to play with better players, Grealish is currently struggling to do that as effectively. 

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Sorry but Buendia has done nothing to deserve being in our top 5 players list, let alone being spoken of in the same breath as Martinez. You can probably count his good performances on one hand. He might have one man if the match award in one and a half seasons.

He played well at the weekend, but it wasn't like he was unplayable, and we lost! Buendia isn't anywhere near being a nailed on starter, like Martinez, Kamara, Luiz, Mings, and even Watkins (who has done far more at Villa then Buendia). Bailey has more goals, assists, and man of the match awards, but gets constantly hammered on here.

Seriously I like Buendia, he is talented, and he tries his best. But his lack of pace, strength, and not being a capable ball carrier hamper his effectiveness.

Ok but why do you have to shout

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Without going completely off topic, Ashley Young first spell gets overlooked and was better than Grealish 

not a bad shout, but as much as I love Young I think Grealish still edges it for me.

It's hard to take this point too seriously when you look at how many assists Buendia should have but for poor/unlucky finishing. He should have had two more on Saturday alone, plus numerous more last season. Plus, there's the eye test, Buendia is frustrating, but he is a clever player, and you can almost always see what he's trying to do. Bailey makes poor decision after poor decision, and often releases the ball far too late.

Buendia isn't our best player yet, but is in the top three/four. Ramsey, who was mentioned, is nowhere near being in that discussion yet.

I also think Emi Martinez has been nowhere near consistent enough since his first season to be considered our best player.

• Like 1

Its all about opinions I suppose

Tony Morley, Gary Shaw and Brian Little we’re all, in my opinion, better players than either Ashley Young or Jack Grealish. Albeit it’s alway difficult to compare players in different eras. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

He made team of the year twice and I think the only player in Premier League history to win player of the month 3 times in a calendar year

I agree, Young was consistently more reliable than Grealish throughout his first run. We didn’t see the best of Jack until Deano’s arrival. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It's hard to take this point too seriously when you look at how many assists Buendia should have but for poor/unlucky finishing. He should have had two more on Saturday alone, plus numerous more last season. Plus, there's the eye test, Buendia is frustrating, but he is a clever player, and you can almost always see what he's trying to do. Bailey makes poor decision after poor decision, and often releases the ball far too late.

Buendia isn't our best player yet, but is in the top three/four. Ramsey, who was mentioned, is nowhere near being in that discussion yet.

I also think Emi Martinez has been nowhere near consistent enough since his first season to be considered our best player.

Unpopular opinion but I’d rather see Ramsey on the team sheet before Buendia. I think he offers more.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

10 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Sorry, but to put Buendia in the top 5 is in my opinion putting the cart before the horse. Watkins, Mings, and Martinez are far more important to the first team than him. We can't compare ability of defenders with attackers, as they're totally different skillsets, so instead I look at importance to the team, of which he is probably behind Young, Moreno, and Ramsey as well.

Is Ramsey a better player, in aspects yes in others no. But I'd argue his physicality and ball carrying are more important. But I don’t think there is much difference between the two.

Bailey has put in many crosses and cutbacks that should have had a finish on. Claiming poor finishing or movement is simply pie in the sky. All teams miss more chances than they score. To blame his inferior numbers on poor finishing is laughable. Sorry, I usually agree with you on many points, but we have to differ here.

• Like 1

If Jack were in this team instead of Buendia that inside left of midfield box, we would be murdering teams.

Jack is better than Ash as a winger. Both at their peak, Jack's goals and assists ratio in his last two seasons with us is every bit as good a Youngs if not better. Plus Jack controlled games on his own. Remember Ash had the advantage of a better manager and more competitive team. Jack kept a team up that would otherwise finish last, then got a team to 11th that should have been embroiled in a relegation fight.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Sorry, but to put Buendia in the top 5 is in my opinion putting the cart before the horse. Watkins, Mings, and Martinez are far more important to the first team than him. We can't compare ability of defenders with attackers, as they're totally different skillsets, so instead I look at importance to the team, of which he is probably behind Young, Moreno, and Ramsey as well.

Is Ramsey a better player, in aspects yes in others no. But I'd argue his physicality and ball carrying are more important. But I don’t think there is much difference between the two.

Bailey has put in many crosses and cutbacks that should have had a finish on. Claiming poor finishing or movement is simply pie in the sky. All teams miss more chances than they score. To blame his inferior numbers on poor finishing is laughable. Sorry, I usually agree with you on many points, but we have to differ here.

Ramsey sometimes struggles with intricate play, Buendia doesn't. But I do agree his ball carrying ability is important.

Also, it's funny you say Watkins, because his limitations limit what Buendia's game is all about massively. Look how different he is with the movement of an Ings or Pukki in front of him.

Edited by Tom13

Â