Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

One other thought about Buendia is on top of his defensive workrate and his ability to progress the ball (I agree his final third needs work but same could be said of a lot of the squad).

He's also going to be trusted by Emery because of his versatility and consistency across the different positions he's been asked to play. He's been played as the left mid, second striker, CAM in a 4231, and as an additional LWB against Tottenham. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How the hell is errors zero? Surely losing the ball in the middle of the pitch and leaving us open for a break is an error ? 

That’s my biggest issue with him. If he doesn’t  try and take players on in the middle of the pitch he’s fine. 

Errors are one stat which are a bit of a write-off for me. Basically they're only counted when they more or less directly lead to a shot or goal conceded (e.g. Mings vs Chelsea) and can be a subjective thing anyway. Hence why a large number of players will have 0.00 errors per game listed even though that isn't consistent with how more or less everyone that watches football would view it.

• Like 2

I thought that Emi would thrive under Emery. But he is seemingly doing lots of solid work and popping up with a goal . His game is evolving away from what he does best which is chance creation and assists. 

Is this because of the slower build up play  ?  He has always done better if the football is frantic. Collect the ball on the half turn and find a striker quickly. 

Think he might be on his way in the summer if this continues. As much as Emery is a nice guy i think he can also be brutal when he wants to be. 

3 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I thought that Emi would thrive under Emery. But he is seemingly doing lots of solid work and popping up with a goal . His game is evolving away from what he does best which is chance creation and assists. 

Is this because of the slower build up play  ?  He has always done better if the football is frantic. Collect the ball on the half turn and find a striker quickly. 

Think he might be on his way in the summer if this continues. As much as Emery is a nice guy i think he can also be brutal when he wants to be. 

I think by stats and eye test, he’s done better under Emery and has been picked to start every game I believe. 

He could and should be doing better but I think he’s going to be one to stay. 

4 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He's been the biggest disappointment under Emery for me.

Possibly the only player to have started performing worse.

He keeps starting though, so Emery can't be too unhappy. If Deulofeu was to join, I think he could learn a bit from him. Whatever it is that Emery sees as must-have.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He's been the biggest disappointment under Emery for me.

Possibly the only player to have started performing worse.

He keeps starting though, so Emery can't be too unhappy. If Deulofeu was to join, I think he could learn a bit from him. Whatever it is that Emery sees as must-have.

I'd label the biggest disappointment under Emery as Bailey.

But, like Buendia, I can only see him getting better as the team learns and executes Emery-ball

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

But, like Buendia, I can only see him getting better as the team learns and executes Emery-ball

I think Buendia and Bailey have both disappointed on the whole since joining. If they don’t improve, or at least find some consistency to their game, both won’t be starting for us next year. 

I think Bailey *might* come good, but I strongly believe that Buendia just lacks the tools to be a top half PL player and quite frankly, he often looks like a championship player to me.

We’ll see. Both have started a lot of games under Emery. This might be due to a lack of options or it could be that he likes them. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when McGinn is fit again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

These games under emery are also the only consistent starts buendias had since we signed him too which is a mad thought, big few months for him 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think Buendia and Bailey have both disappointed on the whole since joining. If they don’t improve, or at least find some consistency to their game, both won’t be starting for us next year. 

A week ago you said Buendia wouldn’t be starting for us in February, so that’s progress on his part ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Emery likes him, likes his work rate and his over contribution. He's started popping up for goals and also creates chances. His biggest problem is misplaced passes, not the attempted defence splitters, but the simple ten yard ones. It must be a concentration thing.

Currently Buendia (and McGinn) are our best options in the advanced midfielder roles. Until we sign better, or JJ and Coutinho step up, then they will be starting.

Unbelievable how much negative hyperbole there is from a certain few about this guy, despite others posting factual evidence showing he is in fact one of the best performers in the team 😂

I'm sure I even saw someone say a few pages ago that he's too slow to start for any top half team in the league. Arsenal currently destroying the league with Odegaard at 10, he might be the slowest player in the league! City have Bernardo Silva, Grealish and Foden, none of whom would be much quicker than Buendia, if at all.

Buendia's success or otherwise in this league will not come down to his pace, fmd. Put him in Arsenal's team instead of Odegaard and I don't know how much worse he would perform than their captain - I'm sure not quite as well given the latter is a Real Madrid starlet, but nevertheless I'm also confident he would be doing just fine.

Lastly, Villa fans seriously have to calm down with this obsession about being a European team. You are still a long way off that level, and Buendia certainly won't be the first player to be replaced on your way to getting there. Your entire backline, your whole central midfield excluding Kamara, and your striker are all positions that would need upgrading before Buendia.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DRAGONZ_RULE said:

Unbelievable how much negative hyperbole there is from a certain few about this guy, despite others posting factual evidence showing he is in fact one of the best performers in the team 😂

I'm sure I even saw someone say a few pages ago that he's too slow to start for any top half team in the league. Arsenal currently destroying the league with Odegaard at 10, he might be the slowest player in the league! City have Bernardo Silva, Grealish and Foden, none of whom would be much quicker than Buendia, if at all.

Buendia's success or otherwise in this league will not come down to his pace, fmd. Put him in Arsenal's team instead of Odegaard and I don't know how much worse he would perform than their captain - I'm sure not quite as well given the latter is a Real Madrid starlet, but nevertheless I'm also confident he would be doing just fine.

Lastly, Villa fans seriously have to calm down with this obsession about being a European team. You are still a long way off that level, and Buendia certainly won't be the first player to be replaced on your way to getting there. Your entire backline, your whole central midfield excluding Kamara, and your striker are all positions that would need upgrading before Buendia.

I really like Buendia but I'd say he's a fair bit slower than all those players. A lot slower even. Why do people still say Jack was slow? He was quick! 

I like him though. But I do think he's lost the ball in some dangerous positions recently, and it would be great if that happened much less. 

EDIT: Ah you're a Leeds fan. I can be a bit more honest then. Your argument seems to be that you don't know how much worse Buendia would be if he was playing instead of Odegaard for Arsenal. That's not an argument. You're just writing words down. I'm guessing you might be about 14. It makes sense now. Only a non-Villa fan would say Jack was slow. It's one of those myths people used to say about him when they'd never watched a Villa game.

Edited by Rolta

3 hours ago, DRAGONZ_RULE said:

Firstly, I cannot take anything you say seriously because of that utterly hideous profile pic you have. It's just a tiny step down from having the balls to put a Birmingham City badge on and walk in here. 

Entire back line? Entire midfield? Newcastle are currently heading for Europe with only a scattering of players that Villa, Brighton, Wolves or Leeds fans would call upgrades on their starting 11. It's the management that have gotten them where they are and I'm not sure you've noticed but Villa now have one of the best managers in world football.

Once Emery has had time to mold the squad and get the best out of what he has, we will be right in and among it. It's this obsession with a total rebuild that ruins progress. 

Needs more movement from players around him, I see a player who gives 100% every time he goes out there, he also has a will to win and fire in his belly.

He does give the ball away...... but in areas where he's trying to create a chance , high up in the oppositions half.

We have other players who give the ball away in our own half, which is unforgivable in Emery's system. 

I'm pretty sure Beundia will be a major part of our team moving forward. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Firstly, I cannot take anything you say seriously because of that utterly hideous profile pic you have. It's just a tiny step down from having the balls to put a Birmingham City badge on and walk in here. 

Entire back line? Entire midfield? Newcastle are currently heading for Europe with only a scattering of players that Villa, Brighton, Wolves or Leeds fans would call upgrades on their starting 11. It's the management that have gotten them where they are and I'm not sure you've noticed but Villa now have one of the best managers in world football.

Once Emery has had time to mold the squad and get the best out of what he has, we will be right in and among it. It's this obsession with a total rebuild that ruins progress. 

Newcastle's transfers since January last year are hugely underappreciated. They've made a lot of good signings. Howe is clearly doing a great job and he's got the likes of Almiron and Joelinton playing well, but they have bought well too. They've massively upped the quality. And with Almiron and Joelinton, they had clear strengths that dinosaurs like Bruce wouldn't have a clue how to use.

Edited by Rolta

3 hours ago, Anything11 said:

Buendia just needs to slow down imo

Absolutely, and I’d add that he should maybe add a bit of simplicity to his game, he looks as though every single time he gets the ball he’s looking for a killer pass when sometimes it isn’t on and just keeping things simple would have been the better option. 

He’s trying too hard to impress imo. 

Edited by av1

Â