Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I'm probably biased as I love Emi, but he is integral to this team. 

Watch him closely. His first touch is sublime, one instance yesterday near our own box, where the ball was cleared high and he just killed it, laid it back and we cleared properly. 

The beauty of having him is not always the killer pass or through ball, it's the 5 yard passes that look easy, but others players don't see. Instead of going back, he will squeeze it through a gap allowing us to push forward, they are intricate & 9 times out of 10 mean the receiving player doesn't have to break his stride. 

He is a joy to watch and I'm just glad he's back in the starting 11, being coached by a top, top manager. 

I agree entirely. I don’t even think Coutinho should be competition for him as I think Coutinho would be better as the second striker in this part of his career.

For me it’s between Buendia, McGinn, Ramsey, Bailey and Ashley Young’s son for the wide positions and between Watkins, Coutinho, Ings and Bailey (I know I mentioned him before) for the CF positions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

I agree entirely. I don’t even think Coutinho should be competition for him as I think Coutinho would be better as the second striker in this part of his career.

For me it’s between Buendia, McGinn, Ramsey, Bailey and Ashley Young’s son for the wide positions and between Watkins, Coutinho, Ings and Bailey (I know I mentioned him before) for the CF positions. 

Coutinho doesn’t have the legs to play where Buendia did yesterday. I agree Coutinho should be played as the second striker, in games we are expected to dominate possession, as his vision and passing can unlock a low block.

Buendia was great defensively yesterday, but felt he kept making the wrong decisions going forward, in the first half anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think people need to start watching the off the ball stuff. Too many are saying Buendia was poor first half but his defending was very good as was McGinn on the other side.

They allowed Watkins , Bailey , Kamara and Luiz protect the central areas comfortably. This allowed Mings to stick to the cheating elbowing scumbag Kane like a fly on shit - he didn’t even touch the ball for 20 minutes. They cut off so many passing lanes and sent them down blind alleys it was wonderful to watch and hear the depressing tones in Don Goodmans voice!

This is fair but Emi will always get judged as a record signing rather than a good squad player so fans will always want more. 

As for Don Goodman the commentary was a disgrace.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Coutinho doesn’t have the legs to play where Buendia did yesterday. I agree Coutinho should be played as the second striker, in games we are expected to dominate possession, as his vision and passing can unlock a low block.

Buendia was great defensively yesterday, but felt he kept making the wrong decisions going forward, in the first half anyway.

This is true. Ramsey could play their though. As I said before it’s good we have options and it’s clear Unai likes to make use of all 5 subs too when needed. 

7 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think people need to start watching the off the ball stuff. Too many are saying Buendia was poor first half but his defending was very good as was McGinn on the other side.

They allowed Watkins , Bailey , Kamara and Luiz protect the central areas comfortably. This allowed Mings to stick to the cheating elbowing scumbag Kane like a fly on shit - he didn’t even touch the ball for 20 minutes. They cut off so many passing lanes and sent them down blind alleys it was wonderful to watch and hear the depressing tones in Don Goodmans voice!

I was thinking about this earlier. I said in the match thread at half time that i thought we missed Ramseys ability to break the lines and advance quickly 20/30yrs up the pitch. And I still think Ramsey is the future of the team, brilliant player. 

But like you alluded to. Emi offers so much in defence which is vital to the set up. With a top manager like Emery I’m sure JR will improve that aspect of his game, but I do wonder if Emi gets the nod atm purely for his off the ball ability? 

Or maybe Jacob comes in for McGinn? 

Still think the best is yet to come for Buendia.

And maybe  he can flatter to deceive - he leads or tops categories for VIlla in the following (per 90):

• xAG (expected assisted goals) - 2nd to Bailey
  • KP (key passes) - leads the team
  • 1/3 (completed passes to enter the final third) - 2nd to McGinn
  • PPA (completed passes into the 18) - leads the team by a wide margin
  • Prog (progressive passes) - leads the team by a wide margin

He needs to add some goals but his link up play and ability to progress and release is important. Just need some finishing from others to improve and to take on more shot shimself.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 2

Another inconsistent performance as expected. He cnbt seem to have good back ro back games can he? Was shite today.

We need a upgrade  on him come the summer thats for damn sure. Ive seen enough

Edited by Demitri_C

It’s got to the point now where we can’t really use the ‘he needs a run of games’ excuse for his performances. 

He’s way off it for me. Too slow, too weak, too predictable. 

Not a bad player, just not worth half what we paid for him and we won’t finish in the top half until players of his level are replaced in our starting XI. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

It’s got to the point now where we can’t really use the ‘he needs a run of games’ excuse for his performances. 

He’s way off it for me. Too slow, too weak, too predictable. 

Not a bad player, just not worth half what we paid for him and we won’t finish in the top half until players of his level are replaced in our starting XI. 

yeah, feels like he is slowly playing himself in to being a sub and being replaced in the starting 11.

i have defended buendia a lot over the last 12 months, but he certainly isnt helping himself with some of his performances.

• Like 2

Â