Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Last season it was Watkins this season buendia. There always has to be one player that's picked on. I'm sure he's aware he can do better. 

Whilst I agree with you there is always one player picked out more than most maybe that's based on something. Watkins is still picked out for being awful this season too. With Buendia I don't think it's wrong to voice concern over 2 goals and 0 assists for the record signing.

Yes our strikers have missed some chances he created but overall he gives the ball away far far too often.

7 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Whilst I agree with you there is always one player picked out more than most maybe that's based on something. Watkins is still picked out for being awful this season too. With Buendia I don't think it's wrong to voice concern over 2 goals and 0 assists for the record signing.

Yes our strikers have missed some chances he created but overall he gives the ball away far far too often.

Yes of course his performances aren't good enough.  I thought he showed signs second half at spurs but overall its not happening for him. Guess it's time for Coutinho to start again 

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Just a very sloppy footballer. Works hard, can be neat on the ball when he dribbles or turns out of trouble but you can't give the ball away as much as he does and as cheaply as he does.

At PL level it is a criminal offence to turn over possession in the way he does.

I'm not sure he likes being central , he gets crowded and makes bad decisions.

He mostly played on the right hand side for Norwich which I think suits him better, agree with your assessment in midfield he gets crowded and makes bad decisions, also just has a general sloppiness with simple passes which is more noticeable when surrounded by players in the middle.

Despite his poor output this season he’s still top of the stats for key passes per 90 minutes played which shows he does offer creativity in the right areas, we need to focus on getting the ball to him around the edge of the box rather than in deeper areas where he’s ineffective 

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 1

Buendia's base position here was the right side of the front 4 but in reality he had the freedom to go and play whatever he wanted. It's why if you check out a highlights vid he's just as likely to be pinging in an assist from left back as he is from the right wing. A lot of the success he had was down to his instinctive ability to find and exploit space.

Surprised to see complaints about giving the ball away cheaply, something he was always on at his teammates for. I guess the difference is we never saw a low on confidence Emi buendia. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately he has not been the player that we thought that we were getting..

He pops up with the occasional goal, but his general play is pretty bad.

No assist and 25 passes per game this season. He has not created anything this season..

Comparing him to Solly March who has 33 passes per game and 3 assist.

Buendia has made 15 crosses this season.. March has made 68 crosses..

He has been trash this season.

Once Ramsey is fit, it would not surprise me if he replaces him.

He and Mcginn have been brilliant defensively under Emery, but Buendia struggles a bit offensively. Have a feeling it will work out soon, so hope he keeps starting. I do however believe he would be better on the right side, and not the left as he is deployed now.

Edited by MentalM
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Unfortunately he has not been the player that we thought that we were getting..

He pops up with the occasional goal, but his general play is pretty bad.

No assist and 25 passes per game this season. He has not created anything this season..

Comparing him to Solly March who has 33 passes per game and 3 assist.

Buendia has made 15 crosses this season.. March has made 68 crosses..

He has been trash this season.

Once Ramsey is fit, it would not surprise me if he replaces him.

I don't think this is true - he just hasn't registered an assist.  I can't remember specific examples other than the most recent games (because my memory is woeful :D) but he played a great ball into Watkins against Spurs, but Watkins delayed getting a shot away and had his effort blocked.  No assist for Buendia, but a great ball which created a big chance.

My gut feeling (again, memory etc) is that he does this at points, although probably not regularly enough.

Not suggesting all the players should get a free pass for their performances under Gerrard, but surely we need to give him more than 4/5 games under Emery? I think he'd be better off in Bailey's position playing off either Ings or Watkins, if the new LW comes in and takes his current position.

47 minutes ago, MentalM said:

He and Mcginn have been brilliant defensively under Emery, but Buendia struggles a bit offensively. Have a feeling it will work out soon, so hope he keeps starting. I do however believe he would be better on the right side, and not the left as he is deployed now.

The left role for Buendia makes sense based on Emery's Villarreal team.  He likes the left mid to cut in, giving space to the attacking left back.  This is more or less what he's doing here, added to the fact we are linked with an attacking left back Alex Moreno.

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The left role for Buendia makes sense based on Emery's Villarreal team.  He likes the left mid to cut in, giving space to the attacking left back.  This is more or less what he's doing here, added to the fact we are linked with an attacking left back Alex Moreno.

It makes sense in theory, I agree. However Buendia seems more comfortable on the right, and in Norwich he also cut in from that position. So I feel he would be better there!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MentalM said:

It makes sense in theory, I agree. However Buendia seems more comfortable on the right, and in Norwich he also cut in from that position. So I feel he would be better there!

I agree, he's better on the right.  Ramsey would be a decent option for the left, which his runs with the ball through the middle.  For context, Emery played Lo Celso there, he even played Coquelin there 🤣

• Like 1

His main problem right now is that he is trying too hard and is being too clever. If he kept it simple and accepted the sideways/backwards pass instead of forcing things when nothing is there, he'd be fine.

I agree that he looks less comfortable on the left.

While he gave the ball away too much against Wolves, I was impressed by his defensive work. Not world class or anything, but solid work for a forward/attacking midfielder.

38 minutes ago, TomC said:

His main problem right now is that he is trying too hard and is being too clever. If he kept it simple and accepted the sideways/backwards pass instead of forcing things when nothing is there, he'd be fine.

I said this at the Wolves games, it’s a big issue. Every time he gets the ball he’s trying to impress, through balls that aren’t on, silly little flicks. 

like you say, he would benefit from just calming down a little. 

49 minutes ago, TomC said:

I agree that he looks less comfortable on the left.

While he gave the ball away too much against Wolves, I was impressed by his defensive work. Not world class or anything, but solid work for a forward/attacking midfielder.

I have never been a big Emi fan but I will never knock his effort. I agree he needs to keep it simple more but he often can’t make a simple pass in behind defenders, it infuriates me how many times he passes it to a defender.

Unfortunately it doesn’t matter where he plays imo, he will always lack any sort of strength or pace. Even if he had a turn of pace over 5 yards it would help but he doesn’t. Grealish wasn’t quick but he had a burst that could get him away from a defender. Emi has had a good run in the team now so he can’t have any excuses. I’m happy for him to stay in the team however as we don’t have anyone any better at this moment in time.

1 hour ago, WHY said:

I have never been a big Emi fan but I will never knock his effort. I agree he needs to keep it simple more but he often can’t make a simple pass in behind defenders, it infuriates me how many times he passes it to a defender.

Unfortunately it doesn’t matter where he plays imo, he will always lack any sort of strength or pace. Even if he had a turn of pace over 5 yards it would help but he doesn’t. Grealish wasn’t quick but he had a burst that could get him away from a defender. Emi has had a good run in the team now so he can’t have any excuses. I’m happy for him to stay in the team however as we don’t have anyone any better at this moment in time.

We lack this across the board from the whole squad aside from Bailey on occasion. I thought Buendia coming in would be a better dribbler but I don't remember the last time he's even taken someone on directly and beat them for at least a cross/pass.

Ironically enough, I think his true role is in the #10 that he played against Brentford. Being able to spray it wide and forward in a few touches and suck defenders in is his strength. Being able to take on a man/beat them is not.

Even his crossing delivery has been so-so. 

I like the bloke and think he will continue to start lots of games for us this season, but struggle to find where he will fit long term. Still think he's better off in a slower league.

Edited by DJBOB

Â