Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

did you hear carragher the other week maybe vs man city

he's so good as a sub and has such an impact late in games that you would then be reluctant to start him

Normally you would say that would justify him starting but when he does he is just not the same player. If he can play with the same intensity and guile he does starting as he does when he comes off the bench I’m sure he would start more.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Normally you would say that would justify him starting but when he does he is just not the same player. If he can play with the same intensity and guile he does starting as he does when he comes off the bench I’m sure he would start more.

Not got a cohesive midfield behind him, that's why.

Carragher trying to force an opinion to support his mate harder than he tries to force his 'banter'.

10 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

And he starts with two dysfunctional number eights behind him, with McGinn not showing for the ball most of the time. This leads to Buendia trying to do it all on his own.

On top of this, Buendia knows he's not favoured (for some bizarre reason) by the manager. So every minute he gets, he's under pressure, and he knows he's even more under the spotlight when he starts, as he knows the slightest mistake and he's dropped. So he probably tries to force things a little bit.

A good manager (Gerrard falls way short of this) would tell Buendia he's our key player, would start him every game, and would let him take risks because he's going to do way more positive than negative. This would allow him to play his natural game. If his performances then went flat, fair enough, drop him, but someone who's that naturally tenacious and creative, there's little chance of that happening.

This is essentially what we had with Grealish.  He had a free role to play his natural game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i remember a quote from Deano in our first year back, after a few losses, he said something like:

"i need to go back and look at things, it seems a lot of my squad are training players"

ie: they look amazing in training, but struggle to transfer that training form to a match, i remember that moment well, stuck in my head when he said that.

He was right.....but then that drifts in to mentality and desire territory.....we all know they are talented.......but that has to translate in to results and performances on match day.

I am tired of listening to this player or that player has talent.......its not good, if you don't apply it, on match day.

How many players over the years, had modest talent.....but the effect on a game was gargantuan.

Andy Gray, once said to me....."I'm not that good you know, but every time I go out to play, I know, I'm going to score"........Thats because the "drive and desire"  he had made him that way.

I think Ollie is probably, more talented than Andy was......But the net effect, is not the same.

I suspect our manager, was the same.

2 hours ago, brummybloke said:

That's because the intensity isn't there.

On match days is where it counts, mccginn obviously plays yhe same energy in training so gets picked as others naturally in a non competitive environment are holding back to not get injured and save fatigue. 

That's why skillfully players will look great as it's their skill not intensity in training and yhe one or two who go full on look good.

Sort midfield out with complimentary players and we improve.

Slippy doesn't understand this

2 managers have now been fond of McGinn, and many outside our club, are we missing something.....just asking, not a trick question.

I agree, but who bought them?.....our (possibly) best midfielder, he got for No transfer fee.

He wouldn't need coaching.

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

That's just Gerrard's mate trying to justify his decision for benching our best player.

There's something to be said for the supersub, especially now that you get 5. Think Solskjaer. That said, I think Buendia would be fine as a starter in the right tactical system. We never got to see much of him under Deano because of injuries and then the 5-3-2, and SG's tactics have never suited him.

Edited by TomC

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The problem with Buendia is he always looks shit when he starts and is normally knackered by about 60 minutes. Seems a much better player when coming on against tired opposition and having more space.

He starts once every 4/5 games, usually against the more difficult opposition where we play like shit. 

On 07/10/2022 at 13:46, TRO said:

2 managers have now been fond of McGinn, and many outside our club, are we missing something.....just asking, not a trick question.

I agree, but who bought them?.....our (possibly) best midfielder, he got for No transfer fee.

He wouldn't need coaching.

The skillfull players need hard players to protect them so they can produce the goods. Mcginn is neither here no there and would work in a different formation. 

As it stands mcginn and Ramsey don't click,  too simular.

On 07/10/2022 at 11:37, TRO said:

He was right.....but then that drifts in to mentality and desire territory.....we all know they are talented.......but that has to translate in to results and performances on match day.

I am tired of listening to this player or that player has talent.......its not good, if you don't apply it, on match day.

How many players over the years, had modest talent.....but the effect on a game was gargantuan.

Andy Gray, once said to me....."I'm not that good you know, but every time I go out to play, I know, I'm going to score"........Thats because the "drive and desire"  he had made him that way.

I think Ollie is probably, more talented than Andy was......But the net effect, is not the same.

I suspect our manager, was the same.

TRO - please don’t take this personally, but are you serious in saying Watkins is more talented than Andy Gray was? 
how have you arrived at this conclusion - Watkins couldn’t trap a medicine ball and when it comes to bravery - well please.

You simply cannot compare Watkins in any aspect of the game ☹️

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

TRO - please don’t take this personally, but are you serious in saying Watkins is more talented than Andy Gray was? 
how have you arrived at this conclusion - Watkins couldn’t trap a medicine ball and when it comes to bravery - well please.

You simply cannot compare Watkins in any aspect of the game ☹️

Andy gray could hit a ball hard and head a ball hard. His bravery got him many goals.

Could Andy gray sprint passed players, dribbling the ball and cut inside before beating the keeper ? Nope is the honest answer. He was like shearer or shearer was like Andy gray. Known for finishing. Not for being a talented footballer ( clearly they both were but their talent was scoring and hold up play, talent now is mainly judged on other aspects of the game).

Good lord are we really comparing Andy Gray to Ollie Watkins? 🤦‍♂️

Is there another Andy Gray I don't know about?

Or do you mean the 1st Division Golden Boot winner, who helped win us the League Cup and finish 4th, PFA Young Player of the year and Players Player of the Year?*

That Andy Gray? 

*Something only Christiano Ronaldo & Gareth Bale have equalled.

Back on topic, Steven Gerrard would probably put Andy Gray on the bench for not looking him in the eye or some other 🐴💩

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Good lord are we really comparing Andy Gray to Ollie Watkins? 🤦‍♂️

Is there another Andy Gray I don't know about?

Or do you mean the 1st Division Golden Boot winner, who helped win us the League Cup and finish 4th, PFA Young Player of the year and Players Player of the Year?*

That Andy Gray? 

31.jpg

• Haha 3

On 07/10/2022 at 03:37, TRO said:

Then in the next manager thread you said:

"We have a frontline who can't score, to save their lives, is enough to get any sought after manager to baulk at the prospect of joining us."

So Ollie's better than Andy Gray but can't score to save his life? I'm starting to wonder how many people use this account.

And to keep it on topic, the problem with Emi clearly isn't effort, drive or desire - that's the last thing you'd fault him for.

• Like 1

Â