Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

56 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Not sure Emi B will see it that way on the cusp of the Argentina squad in a world cup year.

Maybe Coutinho could be convinced that's the case and we can get Buendia on the pitch to win us some games.

Maybe we could but then as soon as Buendia starts getting more minutes and we lose  some games it’s almost guaranteed it will be ‘Gerrard ain’t a clue, why the hell he not starting Coutinho’?!

Seen it so many times.

13 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Hmmm possibly talking moments in general, but Buendia's vision and through balls are better than Coutinho's. Not that Coutinho is bad in this area, but Buendia is exceptional at spotting and executing passes into forwards/dangerous areas.

Yeah, Coutinho puts up similar numbers on that front as well, though I agree it's more Buendia's game. I meant more so scoring himself as obviously playing a great pass still requires the person on the other end to finish the job. Granted he's had a couple of dud moments in a Villa shirt but I would generally say he has the better end product and ability to score out of nothing.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe we could but then as soon as Buendia starts getting more minutes and we lose  some games it’s almost guaranteed it will be ‘Gerrard ain’t a clue, why the hell he not starting Coutinho’?!

Seen it so many times.

Well.

If Buendia is playing poorly and Coutinho keeps coming off the bench to be our best player, and keeps getting left out...yes, that would be annoying.

Let's give it a go and see if it becomes a reality.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Some people are really forcing it. You can debate if he's out best player or not, but I don't think there's any doubt that we have to fit him in the starting XI. This isn't because bench player syndrome or whatever other strawman, it's due to his performances when he does come off the bench or start a game. He's consistently among the best players on the pitch. He makes things happen for us.

His starting place also doesn't have to be at the expense of Coutinho. Ideally we should fit both of them in the same lineup. But if we can only play one of them, I'm going with Buendia purely on merit.

No reactions left but 100% agree.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Some people are really forcing it. You can debate if he's out best player or not, but I don't think there's any doubt that we have to fit him in the starting XI. This isn't because bench player syndrome or whatever other strawman, it's due to his performances when he does come off the bench or start a game. He's consistently among the best players on the pitch. He makes things happen for us.

His starting place also doesn't have to be at the expense of Coutinho. Ideally we should fit both of them in the same lineup. But if we can only play one of them, I'm going with Buendia purely on merit.

100%

FFS all we ever heard/read around SG’s appointment was that he always set up with two 10s. 

Comes here, has two amazing options for those positions and flipping persists with frigging Ings & Watkins up front!!

Really, really, really hope that first half vs Man Poo is the death knell for that shite… both strikers been oh so poor since Ings was signed… never want to see that lineup again.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

FFS all we ever heard/read around SG’s appointment was that he always set up with two 10s. 

Comes here, has two amazing options for those positions and flipping persists with frigging Ings & Watkins up front!!

Really, really, really hope that first half vs Man Poo is the death knell for that shite… both strikers been oh so poor since Ings was signed… never want to see that lineup again.

You know we are gonn see that lineup again, with mcginn as sidekick.

• Sad 1

I’ve said throughout this thread that I think Buendia is the best player at the club. 

If we’re playing a silly game of top trumps Coutinho would probably be technically better, but very very rarely do you find players that are technically brilliant that also work harder than anyone else on the pitch. 

I love the guy, first name on the team sheet imo. 

On 24/07/2022 at 00:39, WHY said:

Emi is definitely talented but let’s look at the facts, he’s our record signing, some fans seem to forget this. At the moment I don’t believe he has justified his fee. When he plays fans say he isn’t playing in his best position, what is his best position, I genuinely have no idea. Does alright wherever he plays but hasn’t mastered one of them. He got 4 goals and 6 assists last season, again not great. Coutinho got 5 goals and 3 assists in a lot less game. Fans demanding he starts and saying he’s our best player need a reality check. I think he will prove his worth to the team but atm he’s in a fight with another 6/7 for a starting spot and rightly so. 

Coutinho got 3 goals and 3 assists in 3 games against Leeds (x2) and Southampton ... the teams that ran 19th and 17th for goals conceded last season.

The other 16 games he played, he got 2 goals and 0 assists, 1 of which was in his very first game back when he came off the bench (which was actually created by Buendia with the excellent defence-splitting through ball for Ramsey to simply play across the box to PC).

In terms of underlying playmaking stats last season (stats per Opta, the company which Premier League officially use for stats):

• Buendia 2.31 key passes per 90
  • Coutinho 1.70 key passes per 90
  • Buendia 0.38 big chances created per 90
  • Coutinho 0.34 big chances created per 90

And in terms of defensive stats last season:

• Buendia 3.32 tackles + interceptions per 90
  • Coutinho 1.89 tackles + interceptions per 90
  • Buendia 0.14 blocked shots per 90
  • Coutinho 0.07 blocked shots per 90

So Buendia outperformed Coutinho on per 90 stats in playmaking and defending. The only area he was behind Coutinho was goal-scoring specifically, and if you go back and look at Coutinho's goals last season 2 of his 5 goals came from massive deflections off defenders anyway (Leeds + Southampton).

If it's purely a question of playing one of the two, Buendia's underlying stats were clearly superior to Coutinho's last season ... and he has easily outperformed him in pre-season so far as well.

Ultimately, Gerrard should be finding a way to play both of them, as they are Villa's two best players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 23/07/2022 at 16:26, WHY said:

When he played RW he did nothing, like I said I think he will prove his worth but fans like yourself don’t help over hyping him, he’s done nothing to justify it. Look at the impact Jota and Diaz have had on Liverpool for less money than Buendia cost. If he had their type of impact I would get the hype but he hasn’t. I’m not disappointed in Emi btw, I think we just overpaid for him and he will be a good overall squad player. I’m not saying he shouldn’t start either but fans suggesting he should start every game and he’s our best player are a little wide of the mark atm. 

Luis Diaz cost 58 million and Jota cost 45 million so both cost more than Buendia and Jota first season at Liverpool wasnt spectacular

18 hours ago, av1 said:

I’ve said throughout this thread that I think Buendia is the best player at the club. 

If we’re playing a silly game of top trumps Coutinho would probably be technically better, but very very rarely do you find players that are technically brilliant that also work harder than anyone else on the pitch. 

I love the guy, first name on the team sheet imo. 

If we were any good at holding the ball then Coutinho is probably better but as we are very defensive team and are poor in possession then Buendia has to start for his workrate

They can play together,  good players can do that but the manager doesnt seem interested in trying it

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

If we were any good at holding the ball then Coutinho is probably better but as we are very defensive team and are poor in possession then Buendia has to start for his workrate

They can play together,  good players can do that but the manager doesnt seem interested in trying it

Literally the last competitive game we played:

image.png.9aee51f1e49d64bb6c8e13ef14f7ae2a.png

Â