VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

15 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Not too sure why you've had to drop the phrase 'traditional men' in your reply because bands like Garbage, Kitten, Hole, Elastica also fall into the same bracket. The bands I named originally were jusy the first few that came into my head. 

I don't want to watch Central Cee or Lizzo. I actually like a bit of each of their music, but it's just not the same as seeing a proper band, all playing instruments, with the crowd singing every lyric back to them. 

Ooohhh. Garbage. Iove Garbage. Brilliant live too.  Should have been bigger. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Nothing for The Pretenders? Best by a mile for me and I absolutely adore Blondie. 

Couldn’t fit it in it. Had been in the tent for three hours sweating my bollocks off. Woodsies to Park is a good 40 minute walk too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I still think wet leg will go the way of the vaccines

Foals should have done it, their reading headliner was brilliant but they fell off, feels like they're back to the other stage now

Catfish had the momentum then imploded, royal blood had a bad 3rd album, idles didn't keep going, fontaines I don't think will get big enough but could headline the other stage

1975 could (and probably will) do Wembley like Ed does 

Sam Fender probably if reading hits

There's a few hip hop artists that if they played with a live band rather than a DJ they could put on a proper live show and become huge but I'm not sure they want it, if kanos next album is a good one I can see him headlining the other stage (again?) but he's not doing stadiums or the main stage

Can see becky hill getting an other stage headline slot too

Edit - long story short I think the other stage has loads of potential candidates coming through but the main stage doesn't

I'm surprised Wolf Alice haven't got bigger than they have.  Mercury winners, their last album was number 1, wide variety of songs, really tight live, Ellie is a great singer and very good looking.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm surprised Wolf Alice haven't got bigger than they have.  Mercury winners, their last album was number 1, wide variety of songs, really tight live, Ellie is a great singer and very good looking.  

They really should be bigger. I think it's because they've not had a big standout, breakout single. They've got a really, really good catalogue of singles, and especially early on they made a few songs that seemed aimed at getting on in the charts, but it's never really took off.

Great band though, really great band.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Not too sure why you've had to drop the phrase 'traditional men' in your reply because bands like Garbage, Kitten, Hole, Elastica also fall into the same bracket. The bands I named originally were jusy the first few that came into my head. 

I don't want to watch Central Cee or Lizzo. I actually like a bit of each of their music, but it's just not the same as seeing a proper band, all playing instruments, with the crowd singing every lyric back to them. 

It's an expression, I even trimmed it down as I didn't want to get into something, traditional 4 white boys with guitars, it alludes to the standard rock line up. Get past the men bit, the question was answered in your final paragraph. You or generally people like you want a dull line up made up of acts that would get play on Radio X. Lizzo is eying up that headline slot as is Self Esteem, they are the future. Dave is the future. Why isn't there a rock act coming up that could fill that headlining slot? Because it's dull. Because they are dull. No one is talking about Royal Bloods performance, people are talking about Sparks, Billy Nomates and Vintage Trouble. They aren't going to headline Glastonbury any time soon and there will always be a place for a legacy act like Coldplay, Blur and Oasis but as for those coming up, it isn't going to be anyone playing rock based music. 

In unsurprising news Foo fighters are in the UK touring (Villa Park 27th of June etc) over the Glastonbury period. I would assume a shoe in for a headliner slot. In addition Taylor Swift plays Ireland the Friday and Saturday of 2024 Glastonbury weekend, with the Sunday free, so I expect her to be a headliner after the cancellation a few years back. As for a third headliner, not sure, depends if they book some one in the ascendency or on their way down.

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've never really got the fuss about the foo fighters. They just seem like the blandest and most generic airtime filling, safe radio rock band

I tend to agree, I think a lot of it is personality based, Dave Grohl comes across as a nice bloke, he used to be in that Nirvana band and he certainly gives every live perfomance 100%

if the band wasn't Grohl's I don't think they'd be anywhere near as popular as they are.

• Like 3

Anyone get Foo Fighters tickets for Villa Park? I couldn't resist.

Villa website showed the seating plan as having a golden circle area but these didn't show on the ticketing website. Does anyone know if these are reserved for certain ticket holders a la BST Festivals?

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've never really got the fuss about the foo fighters. They just seem like the blandest and most generic airtime filling, safe radio rock band

I think that they are one of the "gateway" bands so to speak for teenagers to listen to and done so for the last 20 years. Certainly later albums don't grasp me as much but definitely think that the Grohl effect gives them massive credence. When you take into account his hardcore early days, the years with Nirvana (themselves a big gateway) and the likes of Probot and his friendship with Lemmy; he definitely makes them a "likeable" mainstream band from the heavier end of the music spectrum. 

12 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Anyone get Foo Fighters tickets for Villa Park? I couldn't resist.

Villa website showed the seating plan as having a golden circle area but these didn't show on the ticketing website. Does anyone know if these are reserved for certain ticket holders a la BST Festivals?

I got tickets but didn't notice anything about a golden circle. Think there has been some for the other shows at Villa Park but don't recall from the last time they announced (and cancelled due to Taylor's death). 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I like The War on Drugs records, but I was rather underwhelmed by their Glasto set. Granduciel comes across as a bit of a dick. 

Noted, they were sort of on an imaginary list of bands Imay be tempted to see. Will investigate the set later

40 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I like The War on Drugs records, but I was rather underwhelmed by their Glasto set. Granduciel comes across as a bit of a dick. 

Not a festival band imo. Their style, with the long layered Americana rock tunes, doesn't work with a festival unless you're someone like Springsteen who can throw in some anthemic stuff to get people singing and bouncing along with it. TWOD don't really have those kinds of songs, so you end up with pretty flat runs of 7 minute long songs that the audience appreciates rather than engages with.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Earlier today I found a download code scrunched in the bottom of the sleeve of a record I bought 8 years ago… just put the code in and it still worked!

super chuffed

I've got loads, another thing on my to do list, curently I'm only doing the bandcamp ones as I spot them but intend to do the rest as soon as I find a working hard drive to download them to

• Like 1

Pavement - now there's band I don't get. I stuck on 23 track compilation that I must have bought ages ago and yeah, Shady Lane and lots of tracks that sound pretty much like Shady Lane

They are OK, I don't hate them, I just don't get their popularity, I've seen plenty of bands third on the bill that are as good and make a similar sound

One of those that are just not for me I think

• Like 1

Â