UK local elections 2021

mjmooney

I'll be voting for our conservative guy because on the radio he said "We must stop the Labour police station closures" and I agree wholeheartedly.  

I mean, you can argue all you want that the Conservatives have been in central power for 10 years now and enforce budget cuts to local councils etc.. But whatever, that requires too much thinking. 

31 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'll be voting for our conservative guy because on the radio he said "We must stop the Labour police station closures" and I agree wholeheartedly.  

I mean, you can argue all you want that the Conservatives have been in central power for 10 years now and enforce budget cuts to local councils etc.. But whatever, that requires too much thinking. 

Has anyone pointed out to the Mayor that he should be standing for Police and Crime Commissioner if that's what he wants to do?

14 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

First disgruntled voter of the day.  I woke briefly and leapt into action.  He believed he had the right to vote here despite not living in the area.   It gave me 10 minutes release from tedium. 

First tenner I've had to pay out to my stooges

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well that was a disappointment. Mr Head of Licensing was rather subdued and we had a half sensible conversation and I'm pretty much convinced he's seriuosly ill.

WTF he's still doing as the presiding officer in a church hall polling station at the age of 74 I have no idea. He gets a day off work in lieu as recompense. I also have no idea why he still has the day job at that age either.

I didn't have the heart to wind him up

The two other ladies who live opposite though were very keen to gossip about our new neighbours, they didn't get the answers they wanted because the new neighbours are quite nice and our old neighbours (the arseholes) now live next to you (yes they moved across the road and into the close)

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Someone should hang a monkey as a spy just in case (I know its highly unlikely to have happened)

Just stop it. You'll be trying to claim Santa isn't real next. 

29 minutes ago, Swerbs said:

Voted for Liam Byrne first choice and Andy Street second, make sense of that if you can.

Trying to follow the logic . . . I guess it makes sense if you think Byrne has a chance of failing to make the final 2? Otherwise, yeah, I can't make sense of it (though it's a dumb voting system, I don't like it).

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Trying to follow the logic . . . I guess it makes sense if you think Byrne has a chance of failing to make the final 2? Otherwise, yeah, I can't make sense of it (though it's a dumb voting system, I don't like it).

Not as dumb as FPTP, I'd take it further and go full STV for elections. Limiting it to first and second pref only is just wilfully limiting, though currently in this country going past second prefs is unlikely, its the principal of it.

Having two columns is also dumb, I'm sure the electorate can be trusted to write 1 2 3 4 etc in one column. If they can't do that correctly it'll only rule out Tory votes anyway :trollface:

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Not as dumb as FPTP, I'd take it further and go full STV for elections. Limiting it to first and second pref only is just wilfully limiting, though currently in this country going past second prefs is unlikely, its the principal of it.

Do you mean STV, or ranked choice/instant runoff?

I agree that ranked choice would be better, as you say there's no need to limit people to two preferences, and in practice doing so is just a gift to Labour and the Tories as it allows them to field inept candidates that barely scrape a plurality, knowing they will gather all the second preferences.

Supplementary vote seems to exist in this weird gap halfway between first past the post and ranked choice, without the benefit of either but being 'simpler' (I don't actually agree that it's simpler than ranked choice, but people seem to feel it is).

Â