UK local elections 2021

mjmooney

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Do you mean STV, or ranked choice/instant runoff?

There's no real difference in single winner elections, it is essentially the same. 

I just prefer the term STV because if we ever had multiple winner elections, that would be my preferred method

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

There's no real difference in single winner elections, it is essentially the same. 

I just prefer the term STV because if we ever had multiple winner elections, that would be my preferred method

Gotcha.

------------------------------------------

On a separate note, I cannot explain how devastated I am to realise I voted exactly the same way as Femi FFS lol 🤦‍♂️

(https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1390341120320843794)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Gotcha.

On a separate note, I cannot explain how devastated I am to realise I voted exactly the same way as Femi FFS lol 🤦‍♂️

You and me both (well mayor anyway, don’t have locals in Birmingham this year). Did postal vote a week ago though. The choices though are so underwhelming.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Gotcha.

What sort of piss poor list of choices is that!

Here were my choices this evening:

Abolish

Communist

Conservative

Freedom Alliance

Gwlad

Independent

No More Lockdowns

Plaid Cymru

Propel

Reform UK

UKIP

Green Party

Labour

Liberal Democrats

TUSC

I have just deposited the ballot box at the count.  Today consisted of 60 minutes of basic admin and 3 minutes of exerting authority packed into a 17 hour day.  All to produce a result which hasn't changed significantly in living memory. 

Our democracy is wonderful but its ridiculously expensive.  

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Isn't he breaking the law?

Unlikely.    Its discouraged and I would advise against it.  If you disclose how another votes or publicise the reference numbers on the ballot you could be in trouble.  

I have a glass of whisky in my hand and have no intention of reopening the handbook to look up the official answer.  But I would advise against any photography inside the polling station.  You might inadvertently commit an offence and not realise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Unlikely.    Its discouraged and I would advise against it.  If you disclose how another votes or publicise the reference numbers on the ballot you could be in trouble.  

I have a glass of whisky in my hand and have no intention of reopening the handbook to look up the official answer.  But I would advise against any photography inside the polling station.  You might inadvertently commit an offence and not realise. 

That pretty much is the official answer. You can't reveal how someone else voted nor can you reveal the ballot paper number

Why Femi has scrubbed out the candidates addresses when they are public information released by consent of the candidate is beyond me though

The ballot paper numbers are on the back and its surprising easy to take a photo of someone carrying a folded ballot with the number visible.  One thing I know from experience is that the Police react quickly if called to a Polling Station complaint.  Today they attended my sleepy, backwater location twice without even being called. 

Result not declared but Labour conceded in Hartlepool according to the BBC. 

BBC

Counting is still continuing in Hartlepool. The declaration time now unclear -could be 06.15. 

We know Labour has lost - the party’s conceded - but we await the final tally and scale of the defeat.

An inflatable Boris Johnson has been erected outside Mill House Leisure Centre in the town where the votes are being counted. Perfectly normal.

Edited by Seat68

Labour have taken a beating in Hartlepool

Jill Mortimer (Con): 15,529

Paul Williams (Lab): 8,589

Mortimer has won with a majority of 6,940

Edited by Seat68

23 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Labour have taken a beating in Hartlepool

Jill Mortimer (Con): 15,529

Paul Williams (Lab): 8,589

Mortimer has won with a majority of 6,940

Impressive that the independent Sam Lee came in 3rd though (albeit with 2904 votes) who at quick glance ran on anti-Westminster/career politician stance by the looks of it. Was just reading that some justification for voting Tory was so the local council gets more money which is just utterly ludicrous but probably true.

Edited by cyrusr

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I give up on this **** ing country. How anyone - let alone a northern working class community - can vote for the Tories after the shitshow of the last 18 months is utterly beyond me. 

Morons. 

The problem. Is mj we can say all day how stupid people are etc but its just showing the state of the labour party that people prefer boris johnsons shit government. 

Labour need to disband and form a new party that can take on the tories. We need political reform

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My first election of voting Green. Will it make a jot of difference in this tory stronghold, will it ****. I have followed my conscience this time regardless of the outcome. 

Same. Voted Green for first time ever. Felt strangely nice if somewhat wasted but hopefully more people have done so and they gain some traction. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Same. Voted Green for first time ever. Felt strangely nice if somewhat wasted but hopefully more people have done so and they gain some traction. 

If more people followed then we might see some kind of change.

• Like 1

Â