UK local elections 2021

mjmooney

At least we can all applaud the fact that in the London Mayor election Count Binface (24,775) got more votes than either Piers Corbyn (20,604) and Peter Gammons of UKIP (14,393) :D 

Greens are now 3rd biggest party in the London Assembly (albeit by 1), 4th in Scotland and have gained 80 councillors so far in England. Not a bad night for them it would seem.

• Like 4

A slightly different view in that I think  Covid played a big part in the results but not in the vaccine or anything like that,  I think in a situation like this people are sub consciously anyway,  a little more risk averse and / or would go for stability or at least vote for something that is relatively stable wherever they are considering the Pandemic etc.  This is a once in a lifetime thing and people know it.

So England,  Wales and Scotland went for what was there already on the most part (Mayors didn't change around much either ?) ?  In a way it gets Starmer of the hook slightly,  I don't think anything he did or said could have changed the result +/-5% anyway.  It was always going to happen maybe ?

• Like 1

This appars to have gone unnoticed

Election results: Tories' majority would be cut if local voting was translated nationally - Sky News analysis

The Conservatives would have a reduced majority at Westminster if voting patterns in the local elections were replicated nationally, Sky News analysis suggests.

Just over 2,000 council wards have been scrutinised - and more than six-and-a-half million votes.

The projection finds that Boris Johnson's party would have a parliamentary majority of 48 seats - down from the 80 achieved in the December 2019 general election.

The Tories would be on 349 seats - down 16.

SKy News

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:
16 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

It really is stange hiw the south is becoming labour and the north conservative these days.

Its bizarre

Mainly a function of education polarisation. It's increasingly true that the higher the level of a person's highest qualification, the more likely they are to vote left, and vice versa. This pattern seems to be true in the US too. 

I don't think it's quite that, tbh.

It seems like there are or were 2 kind of constituencies of Labour voters - people (northern folk mainly) who voted Labour because they were the ones who protected jobs, stood up for their rights and livelihoods and stuff like that. Then there were the other lot - people who (and they may well be better educated) care about ideologies and theories and concepts. Often younger and idealistic. These people care about Trans rights, the environment, racial equality and so on much more than they are about "protect my job" - they (being younger and better educated) are probably able more often to find another job in the South. But they struggle with rent and property affordability -so they are the ones Corbyn Labour and even Starmer Labour attract voters from (as do the Greens).

So I don't think it's just educational qual's - it's regional circumstances, too just as much. Places, mostly cities, with loads of students like Manchester also come into that equation. Many of the students will have come from the northern places that have moved Tory, and a mix of (former) family history of voting Labour and the new kind of social media activism stuff is why they vote Labour or Green now, perhaps. They might have voted Lib Dem, but there was that pledge about tuition fees which poisoned their chances totally.

And completely unrelated, that bloke in Blackburn with the weird playground twitter video romped home.

Grifters like Abolish or Reform will have had their shady donors to see them alright.

But the LibDems losing £33,000 you have to wonder how much money they have for carrying on.

image.thumb.jpeg.99443963b8d7a50957f57749c571ed49.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit too long to quote all of, but this is a good thread on the mayoral elections, and makes a good case as to why the forthcoming switch to first-past-the-post may well make them much worse and less meaningful. Also looks at some of the shift in voting patterns happening under the hood:

Â