UK local elections 2021

mjmooney

I've only just found out that, due to covid precautions, you have to take your own pen or pencil to the polling station. This may seem trivial, but it doesn't seem to have been publicised very widely, and I can see a lot of people rocking up without one. Potential for disenfranchisement and a lot of arguments. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Gov have said Voters are encouraged to bring their own pen or pencil but  fresh clean pencils will still be available for all.

Stopped at Gov said and deemed information untrustworthy

I expect that around about Friday it’ll emerge Johnson paid Dyson to invent a new pen, but in the end they just bought 340 million Hancock Family Felt Tips.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Gov have said Voters are encouraged to bring their own pen or pencil but  fresh clean pencils will still be available for all.

Not poking at you Tony, but 'a clean pencil for all' suggests as a country, we might be quite a long way from getting over pointless hygiene theatre.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am presiding officer at a village hall a few miles from home. Its normally a pleasant job.  Let's see what it's like with COVID restrictions in place.  

Probably the only reason I'll vote today is the opportunity it presents take the piss out of our presiding officer, for some unknown reason we are blessed with the head of the taxi licensing unit as PO and he's an arse. It'll be him and the two women who live in the first two houses in the close opposite our house. I'll walk in, the idiot will try to take the piss out of me, I'll retort, make the two women laugh, he'll then go red and shut up, I'll vote and leave.

It just wouldn't be polling day if it didn't happen

2 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

1 hour, 6 voters and 2 packets of biscuits as presents.  If this average keeps up I shall have diabetes by the time polls close. 

A Labour candidate for mayor did not break election rules by handing out brownies while campaigning, police have said.

West Yorkshire Police had been looking into the allegations against Batley and Spen MP Tracy Brabin.

Labour said the treats were only given to party members after canvassing - which is not against the rules.

Former actor Ms Brabin is one of seven candidates in the West Yorkshire mayoral election on 6 May.

A force spokesman said: "West Yorkshire Police can confirm that after an investigation following the circulation of social media posts and a direct complaint re electoral matters that no offences have been recorded."

BBC

What it doesn't say is that she wasn't handing out her home-made cakes to punters, but to her own party workers. Ludicrous. 

She's the ex-Corrie actor who took over from Jo Cox, and she'll be getting my vote for West Yorkshire Mayor. 

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

'a clean pencil for all' suggests as a country, we might be quite a long way from getting over pointless hygiene theatre.

Lead astray.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

She's the ex-Corrie actor who took over from Jo Cox, and she'll be getting my vote for West Yorkshire Mayor. 

She's definitely the 'best' (or maybe 'least worst') of Labour's tepid mayoral candidates.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

She's definitely the 'best' (or maybe 'least worst') of Labour's tepid mayoral candidates.

A major feature of her manifesto is returning public transport to public ownership. That alone gets my vote. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I expect that around about Friday it’ll emerge Johnson paid Dyson to invent a new pen, but in the end they just bought 340 million Hancock Family Felt Tips.

For £8 billion

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

A major feature of her manifesto is returning public transport to public ownership. That alone gets my vote. 

They'll soon crush this commie, she's lucky she was allowed to get this far.

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think that’s pretty much in every Labour Mayoral candidate’s manifesto apart from Burnham as he’s already pushing it through which was announced a few weeks back.

If it isn’t, it should be. I know Rotherham isn’t far off setting the wheels in motion

• Like 1

popped in and done first thing. Took one of the clean pencils on offer. All fine barring the amazing lack of awareness by the two people having a big long old chatter whilst we were waiting to be given the voting paper. After bod 1 checks us in, bod 2 gives out the paper, but bod 3, who I think is the person going round ensuring all the volunteers know what they're doing was just having a big long chat with bod 2, leaving us waiting for about 5 minutes. No acknowledgement, and there was no-one behind us either, would have taken no time at all to just let us grab out paper and crack on with their chinwag, but heyho. Must be bloody freezing for those of you sitting in there all day

I voted this morning. There were two women with hand sanitiser either side of the entrance door. In my awkwardness, I put out a hand to each of them and ended up with a big squirt in each hand (cue kenneth).

I don't know how I didn't spoil my ballot, I could barely hold the pen.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Haha 1

Â