Breakaway League

Jareth

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Haha the UEFA boss blasting Agnelli as a lying snake of shitcuntery. Apparently he's the godfather of Agnellis daughter. 😅

Yes, this is a Juventus-created monster, and we should never forget it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

In my opinion, this 'Super League' is exactly where UEFA were intending to take the CL. The new rules just read like a watered down version. I'm sure it was eventually coming, just in iterations to make it more palatable to the average fan. 

UEFA didn't want to move the CL to those proposals, they were a reaction to the clubs that wanted more for themselves. Having bent over backwards and taken it from those clubs, changed their rules, upset fans and smaller clubs everywhere, UEFA are rightly surprised to find that those teams have decided it's not enough and they want more.

Even in it's current state, the English league isn't actually competitive, is it. Our owners have invested £200m+ and we are years away from challenging for the league. We can hark on about the 'football pyramid' all day - but there are already glass ceilings littered throughout that you can only break by huge sums of money. Salford have flown through the divisions because they had the biggest budget in them all, what is special about that. 

I appreciate if this shake-up goes ahead it means that the big 6 will likely never change - so I get the frustration. I'm annoyed too. I'm just wondering if there is really such a big disparity between what it will become (i.e. 'it's impossible to break the top 6 fullstop') vs. what it is today (ie. 'it's possible to break the top 6 if you have £1bn quid').

Ask Leicester and Man City if it's an impossible dream - and what's more they've got there through very different methods. Of course we'd love the league to be more competitive, to move further away from what these clubs want rather than nearer to it, but even with all the restrictions there have been over the last twenty years, two of the most successful clubs in the league are still 'newcomers' even Chelsea aren't far from that label. It's been possible - it would have been possible for a Saudi Newcastle, it might be possible for us or for Everton - that's unacceptable to these twelve clubs.

What we have now is dreadful, far too biased toward maintaining a status quo and placing finance over sporting qualities, but the difference between even that and this proposal will be massive - Villa and Everton will become Championship sized clubs financially and Chelsea and Spurs will be global super brands.

13 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

It is for the fans its just that he doesn't mean fans like us who go to watch the games. These so called "legacy" fans don't matter one bit. This is for those social media fans who follow 3 big teams or for those Messi, Ronaldo or whoever fan boys who will change their team at the drop of the hat.

Like it or not there's millions and millions of people who watch football to see the big teams and the big players face off. For these people who have no actual affinity to their clubs as they live nowhere near the stadium and never intend to actually attend a game the chance to watch their beloved Manchester United against teams like Real Madrid and AC Milan every week rather than Burnley or Norwich this is the dream.

If Man United or whoever then have the option to sell this to these millions of people that would pay to watch it then the clubs will make more money of the back of these "fans" than they would from those who go to games.

Unfortunately the "fans" that they are talking about are far more numerous than the actual fans who attend games so from a purely business perspective it is better to target games at this audience. The fact that this completely destroys football as it has always been is completely irrelevant to the businessmen making this decision.

Do those fans stick around when the real fans abandon ship though? When they lose the heritage and the history and the people in the stadiums what happens to the brand when it stands for nothing?

It looks like it's happening the fixtures are out

Aug 5 Manchester United. V Barcelona

Aug 12 Barclenoa V Manchester United.

Aug 19 Manchester United v Barclenoa

Aug 26 barclenoa V Manchester United.

...and coming in September - it's the big one:-

Barclenoa V Manchester United.

Don't miss this one - get your PPV pass for September here...

• Haha 2

Just now, OutByEaster? said:
7 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Yes, this is a Juventus-created monster, and we should never forget it.

I think it's incredibly important that just stopping this proposal won't be enough - there have to be punishments for the people involved, there has to be recrimination - there has to be a change in future that weakens these clubs - it has to be killed and it has to stay dead.

What's worse? The brainfart of one madman, or the 11 apostles who sidle up to him?

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's incredibly important that just stopping this proposal won't be enough - there have to be punishments for the people involved, there has to be recrimination - there has to be a change in future that weakens these clubs - it has to be killed and it has to stay dead.

lovely thought...but it will be business as usual if/when this gets stopped

Reading the UEFA statements and having some cognitive dissonance. They've been flirting with this concept for years themselves, but now that the clubs have gone behind their back to form this league, they are suddenly full of righteous indignation. Not quite hitting the mark for me.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yes I remember the original super League was scuppered. And then almost unnoticed the European Cup format was tweaked to a mini league format .......then you didn't even have to win your domestic league to qualify......and then irony on irony ....they called it the champions League !!!!

Killing this proposal will only delay the investible. 

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks this will have fixed player budgets etc is having a laugh.

United are doing this entirely so they can fully leverage their massive overseas fan base - no way will they want a level playing field with Spurs.

And even if they did, how long for?  Lets say Spurs were really clever and manged to utilise their budget far better.   Meanwhile United and Barcelona are weighed down with a load of Djemna-Djemba signings coming bottom of the league for a few years because they're still badly run.   How long before Man U and Barcelona push for a rules tweak so they can put the super league minnows in their place?

Edited by sidcow

Â