Breakaway League

Jareth

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If this really was some sort of plot to get UEFA to give them what they want, it could end up backfiring massively. Not only will the clubs involved be absolutely reviled even after they've backed down, but this will probably make fans in general more sensitive to any plans to give teams guaranteed places in the Champions League.

They already snuck that through yesterday. 
Wildcard entries into the CL based on history were approved.

I'm watching videos of clubs puling out of the ESL but something just seems off.  These clubs can hire best legal minds in the world and they have don't have a plan b?  they have had years to plan particular scenarios likes what's happening right now.  i don't think this is over by a long shot.

2 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Hopefully this might result in new rules being put in place to stop this sort of thing happening again. Doubt it though. 🙄

It will happen without question this would have scared both uefa and fifa

Edited by Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Denaldinho said:

I'm watching videos of clubs puling out of the ESL but something just seems off.  These clubs can hire best legal minds in the world and they have don't have a plan b?  they have had years to plan particular scenarios likes what's happening right now.  i don't think this is over by a long shot.

It's over. The only question now is what if any punishment they get meted out to them.

Just now, ender4 said:

They already snuck that through yesterday. 
Wildcard entries into the CL based on history were approved.

But this is very different is it not to a closed shop and all monies going to members of that closed shop? Also it was passed already - if it was the goal they did not need to launch the super league..

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s already happened. The revised Champions League, with spots for ‘elite teams who miss out on qualification’ was approved yesterday while everyone was distracted. It starts in 2023. 

Thank you.

I seen that yesterday - but was challenged to provide a link and couldn't.

So there is the first move away from qualifying directly from the performance in your domestic league.

@nick76

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s already happened. The revised Champions League, with spots for ‘elite teams who miss out on qualification’ was approved yesterday while everyone was distracted. It starts in 2023. 

It's utterly shambolic. And they pretend they work in sports. Hah.

It’s just nuts.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 minute ago, Denaldinho said:

It's actually a very good concept but not allowing proper competition is what cost them. Then there was an F1 style privilege for the biggest clubs. Between the 12 the distribution was also skewed. Arsenal and Tottenham were prepared to be at the bottom of that because the riches promised to them was greater than what they are currently getting. 

Liverscum scumchester United Barca and Real were the ones who were going to get the big bucks. The full bucks.

Just now, Jareth said:

But this is very different is it not to a closed shop and all monies going to members of that closed shop? Also it was passed already - if it was the goal they did not need to launch the super league..

They haven't launched the superleague. They released a statement with 12 clubs interested.

Just now, hippo said:

They haven't launched the superleague. They released a statement with 12 clubs interested.

They needn't have done it in whatever shape or form - even the UEFA boss said he'd agreed on the champs league format already.

The new CL format is bad but nowhere near as horrendous as the Super League.

"Qualification for the UEFA Champions League will continue to be open and earned through a team’s performance in domestic competitions.

One of the additional places will go to the club ranked third in the championship of the association in fifth position in the UEFA national association ranking. Another will be awarded to a domestic champion by extending from four to five the number of clubs qualifying via the so-called “Champions Path”.

The final two places will go to the clubs with the highest club coefficient over the last five years that have not qualified for the Champions League group stage but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase, the Europa League or the Europa Conference League."

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/0268-1213f7aa85bb-d56154ff8fe8-1000--uefa-announces-new-format-for-club-competitions-to-be-introduce/

• Thanks 1

Â