Breakaway League

Jareth

A couple of years back, Spurs had to enter the Europa League at an early stage - and it was reported as "the astonishing amount of games Spurs would have to play in order to win the Europa League" - that astonishing number of games was 18.

To win the Champions league this season, Man City will need to win 10 games.

The minimum amount of games for clubs in the Super League is 18. Not an "astonishing" 18, but 18 - they might play 21 additional games if they reach the final. That's 11 more games than Jurgen has had to complain about this season.

It's not being mentioned enough, but I doubt very much that these teams will be entering the League Cup and I wouldn't bet against them pulling out of the FA Cup too.

46 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I dont like this from Purslow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/56812305

Sounds like they are ready to cave in to some symbolic concessions

This statement is actually quite disappointing and I think he's kinda misread the room a bit here. 

EDIT: Reading the previous page it seems I may have misread this statement. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Okonokos said:

Guys, calm down. He's clearly talking about the Premier League and the Champions League.

Was about to sleep (01:00 in Hong Kong) and read this. Still calming myself down.

Back to reading my 60 tabs of twitter and news.

• Haha 1

I also think Purslow was talking about the Premier League and Champions League, but I am also increasingly keen to see a statement from the club in a similar vein to Everton's.

Dean was class in his press conference earlier though.

2 minutes ago, jayEm said:

I also think Purslow was talking about the Premier League and Champions League, but I am also increasingly keen to see a statement from the club in a similar vein to Everton's.

Dean was class in his press conference earlier though.

Expecting one to be released tonight.

Honestly think all 6 need to be placed in league 2 with a hefty points deduction, they need to not only be humbled, but to experience the nitty gritty of the lower leagues and work their way back up to the top.

Its obvious they eventually would, but they need to get put back in their box and respect the football pyramid and how hard it can be for the smaller clubs. 

I think alot of Legends and Old-timers along with anyone who had love for the game would gladly show there disgust at all this if they could give a voice.

I can't see many supporting this move let alone ever siding with these prats of football.

So they're not only in about doing a superleague for the men's game but the women's an all, it hasn't even got the numbers watching the men's game has gotten..

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A couple of years back, Spurs had to enter the Europa League at an early stage - and it was reported as "the astonishing amount of games Spurs would have to play in order to win the Europa League" - that astonishing number of games was 18.

To win the Champions league this season, Man City will need to win 10 games.

The minimum amount of games for clubs in the Super League is 18. Not an "astonishing" 18, but 18 - they might play 21 additional games if they reach the final. That's 11 more games than Jurgen has had to complain about this season.

It's not being mentioned enough, but I doubt very much that these teams will be entering the League Cup and I wouldn't bet against them pulling out of the FA Cup too.

That will just have the rules changed so that they can have bigger squads and be able to make more subs whenever they like.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t this whole situation somewhat reminiscent of when the Premier League came to be - minus the ‘closed-shop’ nature of no relegations, will/can they point to that as being a precedent? 

The key thing is closed shop and thats the issue.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t this whole situation somewhat reminiscent of when the Premier League came to be - minus the ‘closed-shop’ nature of no relegations, will/can they point to that as being a precedent? 

Well...that’s a fairly significant difference. 

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

A little, but the two key differences here are that teams have been selected, they aren't there on merit and they've removed the principal of promotion and relegation making this a closed and separated shop.

They've essentially removed the ability of teams that aren't in there to have dreams. The Premier League became a place you could dream of being, and 49 clubs have now had an opportunity to fulfil that dream.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Closed shop and only a few chosen are the major key differences.  The old division one to premiership in pure football terms was just a name change.  Obviously finances and that was changed.  This is very different.

Â