Breakaway League

Jareth

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't think so. People started watching English football. They didn’t start watching spesific clubs.

Some fan base on other continents started watching English football cause they had players they related too. Nothing to do with the name of the club.

The idea spurs is why you get a big tv deal is hilariously wrong.

I'm sure the TV deal would get worse since you lose out of some good players at Man City and what not, but I think you underestimate the global appeal of English football. Secondly that would change with time. You adapt and overcome. The dumbest thing you can do is to pretend you're a financial slave to these clubs. Then you might as well call it a night and asphalt all stadiums in the UK.

Brilliant post. The players at the franchise clubs will be jumping ship ASAP to get back into the mainstream and international contention. They will rapidly fade, becoming monuments to hubris and greed while older, more traditional clubs replace them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't think so. People started watching English football. They didn’t start watching spesific clubs.

Some fan base on other continents started watching English football cause they had players they related too. Nothing to do with the name of the club.

The idea spurs is why you get a big tv deal is hilariously wrong. You're talking about spurs.

I'm sure the TV deal would get worse since you lose out of some good players at Man City and what not, but I think you underestimate the global appeal of English football. Secondly that would change with time. You adapt and overcome. The dumbest thing you can do is to pretend you're a financial slave to these clubs. Then you might as well call it a night and asphalt all stadiums in the UK.

They want a clash of the titans every time they step on the field. It pains me to say it - but Barcelona V Man United gives you that. Newcastle v Brighton doesn't.

I could be wrong but I thought the TV money from CL was bigger than that from the PL ?

Just now, hippo said:

They want a clash of the titans every time they step on the field. It pains me to say it - but Barcelona V Man United gives you that. Newcastle v Brighton doesn't.

I could be wrong but I thought the TV money from CL was bigger than that from the PL ?

Clash of the Titans gets boring though, was a time when was about 5 Clasicos in a month and the big games get boring after seeing it more than twice . Barcelona still need a Getafe or Levante to put 7 past on the odd occasion 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yep, I am actually warming to it.  But the PL absolutely have to kick them out.  That's essential. 

I hope they do. All clubs must realise they can't choose between what is now and something else. None of the alternatives might be what they want, but only one means slow death.

Alternative A: Being a feeder club in an uninteresting league where they only exist. Over time their income will drop due to a more second rate perception of the league meaning less TV money. And they will loose support, as nobody will sped  their money following a club that has no reak purpose except merely existing.

Alternative B: Take it on the chin. Accept that these six clubs leaving means less revenue. But it will create a more interesting league and long term other clubs can build their fanbase and replace the clubs that has left.

Man City built their brand in a decade. And I'm sure other clubs can do the same as well. Choosing a compromise isn't going to do it. They need to kick these clubs out. They simply have gone too far this time, and there is no way back. This is a decisive moment and the outcome will decide the future of football.  

The breakaway clubs have won every league tilte since 1992. Except when Leicester won. They simply can't have more money, power or influence. There is no room for further compromise. Giving them more now in a compromise means waiving a piece of paper and proclaiming peace in our time. It just can't be allowed to happen.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Love Milner, basically said

Dont like it, don’t want it to happen!

very easy for him. coming towards the end of his career, not going to be playing for england anyway. good on him for speaking out, but i don't see many of the younger players speaking against it

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

hahaha Sky just confirmed they are not involved in buying the rights for the Super League. No wonder they are going so hard against it. 

boris karloff frankenstein GIF by Maudit

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Clash of the Titans gets boring though, was a time when was about 5 Clasicos in a month and the big games get boring after seeing it more than twice . Barcelona still need a Getafe or Levante to put 7 past on the odd occasion 

Boring maybe.

But owners of these clubs don't care. There are enough not bored punters to keep the big TV audiences rolling in.

Alien as it maybe to you and I . The gigantic clubs sweeping all before them year after year is more marketable than a competition where the victories are spread around. Too many clubs winning things isn't the desired narrative.

news reporting that the scummy 6 have all the lawyers lined up and are "very confident" that they cant be thrown out of the CL or PL etc.

I hope that isnt the case......they need to be treated like pariahs.

for me the thing that is going to be extremely unfair is that the players and managers will be the ones facing the brunt of the firestorm this caused. Up until the end of the season, all of the attention and interview questions will be asked at every opportunity 

Just now, hippo said:

Boring maybe.

But owners of these clubs don't care. There are enough not bored punters to keep the big TV audiences rolling in.

Alien as it maybe to you and I . The gigantic clubs sweeping all before them year after year is more marketable than a competition where the victories are spread around. Too many clubs winning things isn't the desired narrative.

But many of those gigantic clubs will no longer be sweeping all before them. 

2 top dogs will develop quickly I think and then it's going to become Scottish football. 

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

very easy for him. coming towards the end of his career, not going to be playing for england anyway. good on him for speaking out, but i don't see many of the younger players speaking against it

I agree but Liverpool captain saying that a day after the announcement is great! 

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

news reporting that the scummy 6 have all the lawyers lined up and are "very confident" that they cant be thrown out of the CL or PL etc.

I hope that isnt the case......they need to be treated like pariahs.

They’ve been planning it for months and years.

Their lawyers will have checked every loophole and be confident of what can and can’t be done.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

But many of those gigantic clubs will no longer be sweeping all before them. 

2 top dogs will develop quickly I think and then it's going to become Scottish football. 

That doesn't really matter. A few clubs winning everything is the narrative they want to push. - that's what sells TV subscriptions, baseball caps, replica shirts , stadium tours....

Â