Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

15 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Excellent piece here about how/why our current system isnt working, and possible solutions.

I agree with pretty much everything he said.

We are trying to play like Liverpool, without having the world class/high quality players to execute it, i have said this a few times.

I dont agree with his solution, although it is a fair solution to the problem, but i do defo agree with his assessment of why our system isnt working.

How Gerrard cant see the problem, i honestly, genuinely dont know.

This has been what I've been banging on about for months. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

This has been what I've been banging on about for months. 

do you not also find it mind boggling, that a "professional coach/manager" cant see this also?

Without firing at Gerrard, its a genuine honest question, is he so set in his ways that he can see it but refuses to change?, or is it that he cant see it?, or something else?

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

do you not also find it mind boggling, that a "professional coach/manager" cant see this also?

Without firing at Gerrard, its a genuine honest question, is he so set in his ways that he can see it but refuses to change?, or is it that he cant see it?, or something else?

The problem is, if the manager abandons his beliefs the players will lose faith in him. Think he doesn't know what he's doing. To go to Digne and Cash and tell them everything I've asked you to do, you need to stop that and focus on being defenders. JJ and McGinn you need to focus on being attackers again, go get into the box and score goals.

I think the middle ground is 4 3 3 and full backs attacking on one side or the other, not both at the same time. Have our wide forwards provide the width and let them attack from there. We then allow one box to box 8 in the side, a CDM and a shuffler. So basically Luiz and Kamara start and one of McGinn / JJ. Unfortunately JJ is obviously the best player for this but McGinn would never be dropped.

As our box to box 8 gets forward the other 2 midfielders move across to cover the space, the same way they do when a full back gets forward. The other full back tucks into midfield to keep a 3. 

This tweak means we retain some of the attacking full back threat and we add in some threat from our box to box 8. While keeping our two best passers and defensively minded midfielders in Luiz/Kamara covering

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yes it might nullify Bailey's " cutting in from the right " however there is no reason they can't roam and interchange.

Might also help him putting crosses and passes in from the left on his natural foot.

It's kind of true, while we don't have the strongest squad, we definitely have more than enough to run teams ragged if we set up right.

Note: Brilliant squad selector tool on UTV Pod website.

squad.jpg

This has been the most obvious/called for team for months. Everybody can see it except one clearing in the woods

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ccfcman said:

How do you rate the squad over all? It's better than the points tally right?

I personally took no notice of SG @ Rangers other than, they won the league. Fair dues though. It was really only upon him signing that it became clear to me that Mick Beale was the true architect of the SG footballing style. Now it's not down to Beale alone or Gerrard, but the tactical naivety and lack of structure feels like it is growing, not reducing over time.

The "no pre-season" reasoning behind the spluttering finish to last season is now gone. The authoritative stamp of one's own transfers has come and gone. Diego Carlos' absence isn't the reason our midfield is exposed or our attackers lacking service. It's a bit of a snowball at the moment.

• If you see the game where we lost 3-1 to Arsenal last season, we was a shambles then.....no SG
  • If you see the shitshow of a cup final where we lost to Arsenal 4-0.....No SG then either.

As for Beale he still presided over12 league defeats, that is just a cop out.

It was a shitshow under the previous manager, and the one before him.

The recruitment is the main, issue for me, in many aspects....amongst the few good ones, we sign more poor ones.

This has been going on for  yonks.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • If you see the game where we lost 3-1 to Arsenal last season, we was a shambles then.....no SG
  • If you see the shitshow of a cup final where we lost to Arsenal 4-0.....No SG then either.

The recruitment is the main, issue for me, in many aspects....amongst the few good ones, we sign more poor ones.

What do you think to the fact that Champions League level Atletico Madrid want to sign our CM, who Gerrard puts below John McGinn in our pecking order?

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

What do you think to the fact that Champions League level Atletico Madrid want to sign our CM, who Gerrard puts below John McGinn in our pecking order?

Maybe, Atletico have a balanced team/midfield, where he will fit in better.

What did you think of a champions league rated player like Kamara, and Carlos was persuaded to come to us?

If a team of good individuals is not blended properly and integrated to play to each others strengths, its difficult......this should be planned,before we sign them.

Why did Benteke fail at Liverpool, but was good with us, it happens, coaches can't always do it.......signing the right players, to fit your system, is the first, lesson, then the coaches integrate/ blend them afterwards.

as an example, if we sign a short centre forward, how can a coach make him win high balls, if we just pump high balls in...

Too much is made of coaching and tactics, like nothing else matters.....Glen Hoddle was one of the best tactical minds around, but couldn't pull up trees as a manager.

It takes an awful lot of things to be a manager, mainly having the right players....of which, its their job to ensure, they have.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm interested to know who you categorise into the good ones and poor ones...

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Maybe, Atletico have a balanced team/midfield, where he will fit in better.

What did you think of a champions league rated player like Kamara, and Carlos was persuaded to come to us?

If a team of good individuals is not blended properly and integrated to play to each others strengths, its difficult......this should be planned,before we sign them.

Why did Benteke fail at Liverpool, but was good with us, it happens, coaches can't always do it.......signing the right players, to fit your system, is the first, lesson, then the coaches integrate/ blend them afterwards.

as an example, if we sign a short centre forward, how can a coach make him win high balls, if we just pump high balls in...

Too much is made of coaching and tactics, like nothing else matters.....Glen Hoddle was one of the best tactical minds around, but couldn't pull up trees as a manager.

It takes an awful lot of things to be a manager, mainly having the right players....of which, its their job to ensure, they have.

You go off on so many tangents it's hard to keep up. But if we sign a short forward, we should play to their strengths? And if our tactic was previously to get crosses in, why would we sign a short forward in the first place?

All of this is irrelevant anyway. Gerrard is tactically inflexible beyond belief, and that's a fact.

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

WTF.

We got 55 points in 2020/21. That was us on the up.

Arsenal cup final?!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

WTF.

We got 55 points in 2020/21. That was us on the up.

Arsenal cup final?!

I think he meant Man City 2020 EFL cup final....

GK 25 Norway Ørjan Nyland
RB 24 France Frédéric Guilbert
CB 22 Belgium Björn Engels
CB 40 England Tyrone Mings Yellow card 90+2'
LB 18 England Matt Targett
CM 6 Brazil Douglas Luiz
CM 11 Zimbabwe Marvelous Nakamba Yellow card 72'
RW 27 Egypt Ahmed Elmohamady Yellow card 68' downward-facing red arrow 70'
AM 10 England Jack Grealish (c)
LW 21 Netherlands Anwar El Ghazi   downward-facing red arrow 70'
CF 20 Tanzania Mbwana Samatta

That was our team 

Just now, paul514 said:

CM 6 Brazil Douglas Luiz

That was our team 

I don't think he did. He specifically said 4-0.

Just now, paul514 said:

CM 6 Brazil Douglas Luiz

That was our team 

I don't because he said

If you see the shitshow of a cup final where we lost to Arsenal 4-0.....No SG then either

A match from seven years ago. Weird.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Why did Benteke fail at Liverpool, but was good with us

This one is as simple as he never got properly fit again (or at least back to the same player) after rupturing his Achilles. Was just continually injured. Which is a tragedy as he had it all in his locker. Still my favourite Villa striker of the last 10 years I’d say. 

3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

From what I heard today, there is at least one current Villa player on the gas cannisters. I thought (hoped) that crap stopped when Grealish left. 

Probably less harmful than them having a few drinks, load of fuss over nothing

Â