Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

33 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Why do people keep referencing Arteta when saying Gerrard needs time? Arteta had a plan and the plan was obvious, all the players knew/know their role. There were times when they messed it up but when they got the ball in the same situation, they tried the same thing again. Maybe the f-ed it up the second time as well, but they tried it the third time and the fourth time and so on until it worked. It resulted in some shocking defeats and runs of embarrassing results but there was always a plan. With us at the moment there is no discernible plan or structure, apart from, wing backs get forward. Build-up patterns are non-existent. Movement of the players is just random. There’s just no plan. Gerrard and Arteta played at the same time and were both midfielders. That’s where the similarities end.

People didn't.....I did.

What is this plan, they had, but didn't work, for 3 initial games in, when the pitchforks came  out?.....but subsequently is working now, so all is hunky dory.

What is this notion, that we haven't got a plan.....it might not be working, but to suggest a world class player, with 20 odd years of top level football to his credit, hasn't got a plan is preposterous.....maybe you just can't see it, I can and I am not convinced with it, but that is a different point to the one your making.

Arteta lost 3 opening games and had behind the scenes problems with a senior player.....Many fans were calling for Him to go.....but his board, stuck by him.

my comparison ends there.

If you don't see a similar circumstance, to ours ( villa), fine.

4 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Fair enough. The “there is no plan” line was a bit much. I also said whatever the plan is, it’s not discernible and whatever it is, is bloody awful, and is in no way obvious. There are no build-up patterns, no movement patterns. Even a defensive structure is nowhere to be seen apart from ‘Bouba will look after that’. 

Maybe that is the plan? To not be too predictable? To vary the patttern or something :lol:

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

This results in a real dilemma for some posters who have consistently said that they don’t like our tactics and that we play too narrow etc. However is the narrative of negativity now moving to no plan rather than a poor plan? Too many choices lead to confusion. I think I recall Sainsbury’s deciding that 240 different types of yoghurt was too many and reduced it to a mere 130 yogurts to choose  from. 

I haven’t consistently said I don’t like the tactics though. I’ve given the tactics a chance. However, after a period of watching and considering the pros and cons, I’ve decided either they don’t work or Gerrard can’t convey his ideas. We make the pitch too narrow going forward, and our defensive structure is essentially non-existent. 

• Like 1

Just now, sparrow1988 said:

I haven’t consistently said I don’t like the tactics though. I’ve given the tactics a chance. However, after a period of watching and considering the pros and cons, I’ve decided either they don’t work or Gerrard can’t convey his ideas. We make the pitch too narrow going forward, and our defensive structure is essentially non-existent. 

I think the tactic would work with the right players, its the insistence of keeping it with players you dont have

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

Usually if teams are too narrow, the middle of the pitch is quite congested.  We have somehow managed to play narrow but have no one in midfield. Quite an achievement.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Fair enough. The “there is no plan” line was a bit much. I also said whatever the plan is, it’s not discernible and whatever it is, is bloody awful, and is in no way obvious. There are no build-up patterns, no movement patterns. Even a defensive structure is nowhere to be seen apart from ‘Bouba will look after that’. 

sorry for poking my nose in....but all that is fair comment.

"No Plan" maybe shot from the hip, but is denegrates the view, that it might be that SG has some disappointing ( for us) issues to resolve....and if so, this is where he earns his corn.

I get this feeling from some quarters, that everything a player does or does not do, is at the bequest of the Manager, sometimes it is, but sometimes it isn't, thats for us to decide, the managers faces tells me different, and why players get dropped......In theory, it should be like that, but watch Peps face they clearly do stuff, he is not commensurate with, but its about degrees's of disobedience....I see Pep spitting feathers and Klopp, when he is not in deep depression over somethings.

I remember Dean picking up a Journo and fuming, "do you think I asked him to do that"......

SG I would suspect is having a hard time of it.......if he can't get through this barrier, then the inevitable will happen, he will have failed, but that call card is too soon imo.....but believe me, if the issue won't go way, the next man with face the same challenge.

I suspect, these players have had it too easy for too long....Now the pressure is on, they don't like it.

I have nothing but " gut feel " or Intuition to support that......No evidence to claim.

11 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Maybe that is the plan? To not be too predictable? To vary the patttern or something :lol:

The best tactics are the simple ones. City’s goals, for example, are nearly all identical. Same movements all the time but with little adjustments. It’s easy say that of course when it’s city, they’ve fantastic players, but West Ham score West Ham type goals. 

18 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Usually if teams are too narrow, the middle of the pitch is quite congested.  We have somehow managed to play narrow but have no one in midfield. Quite an achievement.

It's weird because in the first few games, I remember we were very solid in the middle, but totally open on the wings ( which I expressed worry about ).

Basically no one could get through the middle.

Now it just seems we are exposed everywhere 🤣

I’m really intrigued to see how lining up with Bailey at CF, supported by Buendia and Coutinho, with Luiz, McGinn (only because he’s an nailed on starter and been made captain, I prefer JJ) and Kamara in midfield would work.

Mings and Carlos partnership too.

But it’s unlikely…

We'll have had our own people who would've undoubtedly picked this up. Be interesting to see how we line up against Everton and the shape of the team. Gerrard has to show that he can learn from stuff like this.

• Like 1

I know we have discussed team shape and formation to death on this forum, but if we aren't going to play 4231 we really should try 3 at the back again. 

Kamara was practically playing in a back three versus Bournemouth anyway.  It would make more sense and provide better cover for the full backs if we switched to a 3421.

------------------------------Martinez---------------------------------
----------Carlos----------Kamara------------Mings------------
Cash--------------Luiz----------------Tim-----------------Digne
---------------Buendia--------------Coutinho---------------------
-------------------------------Watkins----------------------------------

Tim and Luiz being more defensive minded would work better and plug the gaping hole in midfield we saw v Bournemouth.  McGinn and Ramsey would be better suited to the more advance attacking midfield roles in this setup.  

But, we're never gonna see it.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

We'll have had our own people who would've undoubtedly picked this up. Be interesting to see how we line up against Everton and the shape of the team. Gerrard has to show that he can learn from stuff like this.

Mcginn has done this all through Gerrards reign. He doesn't get on the ball. He hides. We've all seen it. Yet he's captain. It's utterly baffling.

Â