Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

9 minutes ago, striker said:

I very much like Weghorst at Burnley. Much better first touch than Watkins and knows where the goal is. Not sure if Gerrard would be interested but he should be.

Weghorst was the player we should have signed before Wesley and was calling out for it 

• Like 1

Lack of width is a lhuge problem, i like Young in the team as he is a better option than Digne but he needs a winger in front if him 

Gerrard seems to hate wide players as a punishment for Rafa correctly playing him out wide

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

That seems wrong. We looked good in our run against Brighton, Southampton and Leeds and that wasn’t new manager bounce. The main difference for me is we do well when things go our way from early on but are terrible at dealing with adversity. That is a feature of the squad that he inherited from Smith and he is clearly perplexed about how to change attitudes. 

I worry we have a squad full of nice guys who enjoy playing together but don’t know how to fight for points.

You seem to have quoted a post from 32 days ago?

Yes, finally changing away from the formation he seems insistent on playing did yield results and performances. I enjoyed them greatly.

Against Arsenal he went back to it, and again, we looked awful and lost. Poor, and puzzling management.

Smith got 55 points last season, without Grealish for a third of it. Would love Gerrard to approach that this or next season. It's the minimum he should be getting really if the plan is to buy £50m players in any position he wants. We have better footballers than Arsenal and looked like relegation candidates against them.

6 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Why?

Because of a lack of goals with the two 10s and it allows opposition to pack midfield as with only one CF and no wide players there are no direct options into the channels meaning we have to play through teams.

With the split forwards and one 10 we have more direct options from back to front and that also stretches the opposing team leaving more space in midfield too. 

We have lost 1-0 in the last three games we've played with two 10s. Arsenal stopped us with quality pressing and Newcastle and Watford by packing midfield

8 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Totally different level than us, but Barcelona's revival under Xavi and Aubameyang's resurgence from an outcast at Arsenal goes to show it's not just about buying new players.  Team, shape, tactics and personnel make a difference 😝

Xavi has his full backs tuck into midfield and his 8s get forward and he played with wide forwards creating the width and a lone 9 who can drop deep to get the ball. He was getting his wide forwards into one on one situations with opposing fullbacks and backing them to beat the fullback. Like Arsenal did with Saka to us. 

We did this last season with Jack and Bert wanting to get them to take on the full backs. We just didn't have good enough double pivot last season with McGinn and Luiz. Gerrards Christmas tree formation is defensively sound as it packs midfield, but also stops us getting forward through that midfield without the level of intricate quick passing a side like ours doesn't possess

Edited by CVByrne
typo
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He was getting his wife forwards into one on one situations with opposing fullbacks

How did she fare against them? Is she any good to take on a man and beat him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

You seem to have quoted a post from 32 days ago?

Yes, finally changing away from the formation he seems insistent on playing did yield results and performances. I enjoyed them greatly.

Against Arsenal he went back to it, and again, we looked awful and lost. Poor, and puzzling management.

Smith got 55 points last season, without Grealish for a third of it. Would love Gerrard to approach that this or next season. It's the minimum he should be getting really if the plan is to buy £50m players in any position he wants. We have better footballers than Arsenal and looked like relegation candidates against them.

Isn’t that just deluded?

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

How you know that for sure I have no idea, but yeah, wouldn't surprise me.

the "for sure" bit I cant be but after looking at a couple of sites over the weekend the general consensus seemed to be that they're about 4th or 5th in the league with £100m a year and we're around 11th with £50m a year

• Like 1

Will never happen, but i would like to see something like:

Martinez

Cash - Chambers - Mings - Digne

Luiz - Ramsey

Buendia - Coutinho - Bailey

Ings

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

It is a little. Arsenal have a much better squad than us hence why they're comfortably in the top 4.

They didn't look that great last season and we have spent more over the summer and Xmas breaks, yet we have regressed and they have improved. 

Arteta looked doomed and they stuck with him and have reaped the rewards, we have to do the same with SG.... unless it completely unravels between now and the summer transfer window opening. 

• Like 1

Better players are needed in key positions for the system that Gerrard wants to employ. Klopp had to splash the cash to do so (Van Dijk) when he first arrived at Liverpool. CB-CDM-ST all need a significant upgrade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anything11 said:

Better players are needed in key positions for the system that Gerrard wants to employ. Klopp had to splash the cash to do so (Van Dijk) when he first arrived at Liverpool. CB-CDM-ST all need a significant upgrade.

Yeah I'd agree here. I do think that full back needs to be addressed before Striker as we need someone to cover LB. I also think it'll be difficult to find a Striker that is an upgrade on Watkins / Ings this summer when funds will go on Coutinho, CDM, CB, LB 

Â