Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

26 minutes ago, tinker said:

Mmmm, Arsenal were wasteful upfront , Saka had Young on toast. 

For first 20 minutes yes. Arsenal barely had a shot second half bar a couple blocked on edge of penalty area. They were tired from Liverpool game.

We've conceded 40 goals this season. When looking at league table, same as Man. United, one more than West Ham and four more than Spurs so we're roughly in line defensively with teams going for top 4.

All the serious issues are infront of the backline. We really need to spend next two months working out some proper combinations in midfield and final third otherwise we'll start next season muddling through games regardless of who we sign.

On 19/03/2022 at 14:37, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

We really need to have the plan b option of going to a 4-2-3-1 from the start of games, even if it is an assymetrical one like with Bailey on one wing and Buendia & Coutinho as 10s.

I like the asymmetrical theory for a winger, they can just change flanks at will.....and that keeps the extra midfielder.

didn't Morley do that?

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I said it when he was hired that Gerrard would see a lot of himself in McGinn and would love him

McGinn was actually outstanding in his first couple of games under him to be fair.

McGinn is also a lose lose situation among the fanbase.

He is universally loved, and with our current squad, I have a feeling he is probably one of those, we will only miss when he's out, or gone.

I do agree though, that he shouldn't be " undroppable " but there must be behind the scenes reasons, why certain players, not just here either, seem to be universally loved by managers, but severely split opinion among fans.

Like later years Emile Heskey for example.

Another issue is that, when McGinn is in top form, he is usually our best midfielder IMO. However, when he is bad, he is REALLY bad.

1 hour ago, andym said:

It worries me a little that he sees charging around and 'putting a shift in' as number one priority, because that's how he played.

It ignores that he was a much better player than McGinn, and that for his most successful period he was freed up to play like he did by having Xabi Alonso alongside him. 

He's probably better off looking at all the national team disappointments to see that being able to control the ball, positions on the pitch, and therefore the game, is more important than distance covered and getting stuck in. 

you need both and that is the essence of it.

Check out how much Liverpool and Man City run, harry, close down and move around.........despite their class leading abilities.

Check out Saunders Philosophy 110% workrate.......still in evidence in all the best teams.

name me one top side, who are slouches.

Yeah Bailey holding the width on left or right with Coutinho cutting in off left or being central and Buendia cutting in off right or being central depending on where Baily pops up.

A 4 2 2 2 could work also if we have the right level of quality in the 2 6s - Luiz / Phillips would be a quality partnership to anchor midfield. The 4 2 2 2 could swap to a 4 2 3 1 if we have that 2nd forward who can play wide, like Bailey

I still feel your best XI is always opposition dependent, only the really world class teams can be a bit more rigid but even the very best mix it up to suit.  We can still have a way of playing/identity with slight tweaks in formation/players

For me we have.

Emi M

Cash  Konsa. Mings    Digne

McGinn  Luiz

Buendia.   Coutinho.  Ramsey

Watkins

Emi

Cash. Chambers Mings   Digne 

Luiz

Sanson. McGinn Ramsey

Coutinho

Ings

Emi

Cash Konsa  Mings. digne  

Sanson Luiz Ramsey

Buendia. Watkins  Bailey

All fairly decent and I have not included Nakamb, Traore, Chuck and a few others who could slot in.

I feel like McGinn is a useful cog in the right balanced midfield 3. 

My main issues with him are he isn't a good enough passer for a central midfielder and he is inconsistent when he should be the reliable 7/10 midfielder week in week out

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I too think McGinn has more questions than answers applied to him.

Right now......his inclusion is debatable.....he is lacking ball control at times and positional play is suspect.

I think SJM walks into the squad for all sorts of reasons. For where we want to be and his current inconsistent form I’m not so sure he should start every game. It’s probably more a reflection of the general wishy washyness of our midfield that he does.

Personally I’d keep him beyond the summer, but I think he may go as the money men will see his value in the summer as high as it’s going to get. If the reinvestment of his fee is spent well, then it would be hard to disagree with the logic.

We're 2 players short of a big step change in how we play from the back. Ball playing CB and CDM and we can play the build up from the back to the level Gerrard wants. We just need to be patient and wait for the summer signings.

I personally prefer the split strikers to the two 10s so I hope Gerrard remains flexible in that regard or at least plays with a player capable of positional rotation alongside Coutinho. I'd like that to be Bailey. 

56 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We're 2 players short of a big step change in how we play from the back. Ball playing CB and CDM and we can play the build up from the back to the level Gerrard wants. We just need to be patient and wait for the summer signings.

I personally prefer the split strikers to the two 10s so I hope Gerrard remains flexible in that regard or at least plays with a player capable of positional rotation alongside Coutinho. I'd like that to be Bailey. 

and a new striker!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We'll struggle to get a striker better than Watkins/Ings. Only Spurs outside the Big 4 has a CF that is a step above those. 

Ings maybe, but I think signing Pukki would be a improvement on Watkins at the moment.

On 20/03/2022 at 10:49, VillaParkAvenue said:

Another problem is most of our wide players prefer the right

yeah..............The right, kick up the jacksie.

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Erno Rubik.....wouldn't sort out this conundrum of a squad.

On 20/02/2022 at 05:25, Tomaszk said:

So far...so little has happened, we absolutely can.

The only games we've looked good under Gerrard were early on when we were backs to the wall and it was burst of new manager bounce.

The more he's had a chance to train the team, the worse they've got as they try to carry out this foolish system.

I'd love to see anything... anything positive to make me think he's sticking with. It's been good press conferences so far, and that's it.

No excuses says the gaffer. So he better start delivering.

Bored of lip service about simple instructions from him and the squad whenever they're interviewed.

That seems wrong. We looked good in our run against Brighton, Southampton and Leeds and that wasn’t new manager bounce. The main difference for me is we do well when things go our way from early on but are terrible at dealing with adversity. That is a feature of the squad that he inherited from Smith and he is clearly perplexed about how to change attitudes. 

I worry we have a squad full of nice guys who enjoy playing together but don’t know how to fight for points.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We'll struggle to get a striker better than Watkins/Ings. Only Spurs outside the Big 4 has a CF that is a step above those. 

I very much like Weghorst at Burnley. Much better first touch than Watkins and knows where the goal is. Not sure if Gerrard would be interested but he should be.

Edited by striker

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Out and out number 9s are harder to come by more than ever at the moment it seems.

Â