The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

Spurs are out of form, we've just shown that we can beat Everton, we're capable of beating a Palace with nothing to play for, Chelsea we can beat, they might not have anything to play foro on the final day. Only fixture I doubt is the Man Utd one, but I wouldn't put it past us to beat them, even if we don't and just win the other four that wll do.

It's funny isn't it, just a couple of weeks ago, a number of posters expected us to finish 14th. And how disappointed they would be with that after the start.

Id be amazed if we finish below 11th now. I said after Liverpool we were starting to look better. Culminating in last night. Hope for it to continue. 

• Like 1

8th place doesn’t get European football under any circumstances 🤦‍♂️

We’ve got an outside chance of 7th though! Will have to beat Everton again and Spurs for sure, but we’re in the fight.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

Will need a ESL teams ban if we are to get into Europe. A top 10 finish would be a really good season thou. Even if it's fully understandably has been a bit too up and down.

56 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Will be the best PL season we've had since the ONeill days. 

I think we got 9th and 49 pts under Houllier but that season we were rubbish until the last dozen games or so after we signed Darrent Bent. I think we beat Liverpool and Arsenal in our last 2 games.  I remember going to West Spam away and Gabby (i think?) got  a last minute winner and they more or less kept us from relegation worries but that was fairly late in the season. All a  bit hazy. Also it was about a 15 points drop from the season before. Much more consistent this season even with our comparatively poor form since January.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

We’ve got an outside chance of 7th though! Will have to beat Everton again and Spurs for sure, but we’re in the fight.

It’s a slim chance, for some reason the pundits last night had us out of the picture completely, after the other teams play today we are back to having 2 games in hand on most teams 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Top half and breaking 50 pts is a tremendous season and improvement once again. 

I agree. No issue whatsoever with the manager if he delivers that and indeed he should get huge amount of praise.

The issue is we were looking like finishing the season on 46-47 points which could've been about 12th.

Hopefully last night is the confidence booster we need to get another two wins, I'm very confident we'll beat Palace if we play anything close to last night as we'll certainly get plenty of the ball v them and I reckon we'll beat Chelsea last day given they will be resting players if they make CL final and are already in top 4 and 10k should be back in VP which will be huge boost. And Jack may be back.

55 points should be target now, feels very achievable again and should get us 10th at least.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It’s a slim chance, for some reason the pundits last night had us out of the picture completely, after the other teams play today we are back to having 2 games in hand on most teams 

Annoying thing is Spurs and Everton both have Sheffield United at home left so really that's a walking 3 points for any team that can be bothered, we massively messsed up losing that game.

Would be good to get a point from the Spurs game just for future seasons as we have a massive mental block v them in recent times, our record v Man. United in last few years is marginally better which says it all.

• Like 1

I think if Chelsea finish 5th-7th and win the champions league, that sends 5 teams to the champions league, 2 to the europa and 1 (in 8th) to the conference. (8TH GETS CONFERENCE)

If Chelsea win the champions league and finish 5th to 7th and Arsenal win the Europa League and finish outside the top 8 , Arsenal and Chelsea get champions league with the top 3. 2 teams go to europa (the non chelsea teams between 4,5,6), and 7th goes to the euro conference (NOTHING FOR 8TH)

If Chelsea win the champions league and finish 5th to 7th, and Arsenal win the Europa League and finish in the top 8 (let's say 7th), Arsenal and Chelsea get champions league with the top 3. 2 teams go to europa (the non chelsea teams between 4,5,6), and *th goes to the euro conference. (8TH GETS CONFERENCE) (If Arsenal finish 8th, they get champions league, 7th gets Conference).

If Chelsea/Man City win the champions league and finish top 4, the top 4 go to champions league, next 2 to europa, and then 7th to euro conference (NOTHING FOR 8TH)

If Chelsea/Man City win the champions league and finish top 4, and Arsenal win the europa league and finish outside the top 8, Arsenal get into the champions league, with the top 4, 5th and 6th go to Europa, and 7th gets Euro Conference (NOTHING FOR 8TH)

If Chelsea/Man City win the champions league and finish top 4, and Arsenal(/Man Utd) win the europa league and finish inside the top 8 (let's say 7th), Arsenal get champions league with the top 4, 5th and 6th go to Europa, and 7th get Euro Conference (NOTHING FOR 8TH)

Man Utd I think it's fair to assume will get Top 4. If Man Utd win the Europa League, they get into the champions league for next season, with the rest of the top 4, 5th and 6th get Europa, and 7th gets Euro Conference (NOTHING FOR 8TH)

TLDR: I think that's all the outcomes of consequence. So for 8th to be a euro conference slot, Chelsea need to win the champions league, but finish 5th to 7th, and Arsenal need to either not win the europa league, or win it and finish in the top 8. 

I think that's right

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, YLN said:

I think if Chelsea finish 5th-7th and win the champions league, that sends 5 teams to the champions league, 2 to the europa and 1 (in 8th) to the conference. (8TH GETS CONFERENCE)

If Chelsea win the champions league and finish 5th to 7th and Arsenal win the Europa League and finish outside the top 8 , Arsenal and Chelsea get champions league with the top 3. 2 teams go to europa (the non chelsea teams between 4,5,6), and 7th goes to the euro conference (NOTHING FOR 8TH)

If Chelsea win the champions league and finish 5th to 7th, and Arsenal win the Europa League and finish in the top 8 (let's say 7th), Arsenal and Chelsea get champions league with the top 3. 2 teams go to europa (the non chelsea teams between 4,5,6), and *th goes to the euro conference. (8TH GETS CONFERENCE) (If Arsenal finish 8th, they get champions league, 7th gets Conference).

If Chelsea/Man City win the champions league and finish top 4, the top 4 go to champions league, next 2 to europa, and then 7th to euro conference (NOTHING FOR 8TH)

If Chelsea/Man City win the champions league and finish top 4, and Arsenal win the europa league and finish outside the top 8, Arsenal get into the champions league, with the top 4, 5th and 6th go to Europa, and 7th gets Euro Conference (NOTHING FOR 8TH)

If Chelsea/Man City win the champions league and finish top 4, and Arsenal(/Man Utd) win the europa league and finish inside the top 8 (let's say 7th), Arsenal get champions league with the top 4, 5th and 6th go to Europa, and 7th get Euro Conference (NOTHING FOR 8TH)

Man Utd I think it's fair to assume will get Top 4. If Man Utd win the Europa League, they get into the champions league for next season, with the rest of the top 4, 5th and 6th get Europa, and 7th gets Euro Conference (NOTHING FOR 8TH)

TLDR: I think that's all the outcomes of consequence. So for 8th to be a euro conference slot, Chelsea need to win the champions league, but finish 5th to 7th, and Arsenal need to either not win the europa league, or win it and finish in the top 8. 

I think that's right

Nope.

Again, under no circumstances can 8th place get into Europe based on PL position. None. It’s impossible.

I must post this at least once a week these days:

The maximum number of English teams in UEFA competitions is seven

Edit: That statement is very assertive, however the last paragraph on that page and one that I think has been added recently seems to contradict that completely. It actually reads as though up to 9 teams could qualify European competitions (1st-3rd in PL plus CL & EL winners to CL, 4th-5th in PL and FA Cup winners to EL, League Cup winners to ECL). I give up.

This UEFA Europa League group stage place will be in addition to the one for the club finishing fifth and to the places in the UEFA Europa League and UEFA Europa Conference League for the FA Cup and EFL Cup winners (or for the highest-ranked clubs not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League if the FA Cup and EFL Cup winners have already qualified for UEFA competitions through their league position).

Edited by fightoffyour

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

If we manage to turn over United I might not even care what happens after that. lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Nope.

Again, under no circumstances can 8th place get into Europe based on PL position. None. It’s impossible.

Edit: That statement is very assertive, however the last paragraph on that page and one that I think has been added recently seems to contradict that completely. It actually reads as though up to 9 teams could qualify European competitions (1st-3rd in PL plus CL & EL winners to CL, 4th-5th in PL and FA Cup winners to EL, League Cup winners to ECL). I give up.

Im sure Ian Darke said last night that there was a possibility 8th could qualify 

18 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Im sure Ian Darke said last night that there was a possibility 8th could qualify 

Fair enough. I don’t know where to find a better source of information than direct from the PL website’s page about this exact topic, but since that now seems to contain contradictions I just give up like I said.

Well, almost. I’ll play along with that last paragraph and assume that Chelsea win the CL but finish 6th, Arsenal win the EL but finish 9th - this means West Ham in 4th, Liverpool in 5th, and 7th place (instead of FA Cup winners, Man City) get into EL and 8th place goes to ECL (instead of League Cup winners, Chelsea or Leicester). It’s not clear (like everything else) if Chelsea finish 5th instead and Liverpool 6th whether that 6th place would still get into EL rather than the specially designated 5th place. But there seems to be a bizarre quirk only if the CL and EL winners are English teams not finishing in the top 4 in the PL that the number of teams in Europe jumps from 7 to 9. 

Edited by fightoffyour

39 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Nope.

I spent an hour going through an athletic article and a bbc article and the PL website and wikipedia trying to figure out these permutations and that was the closest to a consensus I could find, or at least something that made sense i could find. 

I would probably stop posting that quote once a week if i were you, because it doesn't seem to be accurate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Annoying thing is Spurs and Everton both have Sheffield United at home left so really that's a walking 3 points for any team that can be bothered, we massively messsed up losing that game.

Would be good to get a point from the Spurs game just for future seasons as we have a massive mental block v them in recent times, our record v Man. United in last few years is marginally better which says it all.

Nah Sheffield United have nothing to lose anymore, basically the shackles are off and they won’t fear these teams so I can see them causing a few upsets before the season is out.

1 hour ago, YLN said:

I think that's right

The conference would be a brilliant competition to blood some youngsters in.

• Like 2