The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I agree. No issue whatsoever with the manager if he delivers that and indeed he should get huge amount of praise.

The issue is we were looking like finishing the season on 46-47 points which could've been about 12th.

Hopefully last night is the confidence booster we need to get another two wins, I'm very confident we'll beat Palace if we play anything close to last night as we'll certainly get plenty of the ball v them and I reckon we'll beat Chelsea last day given they will be resting players if they make CL final and are already in top 4 and 10k should be back in VP which will be huge boost. And Jack may be back.

55 points should be target now, feels very achievable again and should get us 10th at least.

9th versus 12th doesn’t really matter though. We’re well outside the bottom six, well outside the top four.

Smith has moved us from Championship to bottom 6 to midtable. That’s the big picture. Don’t sweat the 9th versus 12th stuff imho.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, YLN said:

I spent an hour going through an athletic article and a bbc article and the PL website and wikipedia trying to figure out these permutations and that was the closest to a consensus I could find, or at least something that made sense i could find. 

I would probably stop posting that quote once a week if i were you, because it doesn't seem to be accurate

Fair enough, as I said no wonder there’s confusion if the headline statement on the PL’s own website is inaccurate 

4 hours ago, Enda said:

9th versus 12th doesn’t really matter though.

That’s an extra £10 million prize money, or to put it another way an extra £10 million transfer kitty by finishing 9th rather than 12th.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Nah Sheffield United have nothing to lose anymore, basically the shackles are off and they won’t fear these teams so I can see them causing a few upsets before the season is out.

Wouldn't hold your breath on that one mate!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

That’s an extra £10 million prize money, or to put it another way an extra £10 million transfer kitty by finishing 9th rather than 12th.

Not ITK but my understanding is a good chunk of that would go in player bonuses.

15 hours ago, Enda said:

Not ITK but my understanding is a good chunk of that would go in player bonuses.

No, definitely not.  

Edit - turns out Villa are paying bonuses for places.

Edited by ender4

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

No, definitely not.  

From The Times, “Each year clubs draw up bonus schedules for their team, which act as incentives for performance. Villa’s scheme is expected to be one of incremental bonuses with payments rising with each position they achieve above 17th in the table.”

10 hours ago, Enda said:

From The Times, “Each year clubs draw up bonus schedules for their team, which act as incentives for performance. Villa’s scheme is expected to be one of incremental bonuses with payments rising with each position they achieve above 17th in the table.”

Oh I stand corrected. I’ve never heard of any team doing this before, usually it’s for Euro qualifying, staying up etc... but not for every place!

Even then, they aren’t going to use £10m extra on bonuses for going up 3 places.

22 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

The conference would be a brilliant competition to blood some youngsters in.

couldnt agree with this more, look at arsenal, pretty much the only good thing about them is the youngsters and every one of those came through and benefited from the EL, the conference would be an even lower level too, im sure chelsea and man utd would be similar 

EL league or conference for us in the next 2/3 years with these youngsters coming through could be absolutely huge in their development 

• Like 2

I had a thought that 9th might go to Europe. If Chelsea won the CL while not retaining 4th, which would make 5 teams in the CL, 3 at Europa (up till 8th). Possibly 9th for the conference (if Spurs were a top 7-8). 
I my assumption right? I still haven’t read how they’ll pick the English team as Spurs are the runners up and they’re so far a EL team.

On 03/05/2021 at 13:38, ender4 said:

Oh I stand corrected. I’ve never heard of any team doing this before, usually it’s for Euro qualifying, staying up etc... but not for every place!

Even then, they aren’t going to use £10m extra on bonuses for going up 3 places.

"No, definitely not" Part II? Or perhaps a little more open minded?

On 02/05/2021 at 20:36, Vive_La_Villa said:

Finishing above Wolves and Arsenal, 2 top 7 teams over the last 2 seasons would be very satisfying.

If anything to put that terrible “Mind the gap” rubbish to bed. I have no issue with Wolves, but their obsession with how we are doing is irritating 

Anyone know if anyone has ever finished bottom half with 55 points as it's not impossible we could get another 7 points this season yet it's only good enough for 11th.

Just had a look at first 3 seasons of prem when it was 42 games and team finishing 12th didn't even get to 55 points.

Points hauls in last 5 seasons for teams finishing 10th;

15/16- Chelsea- 50 points

16/17 West Brom 45 points

17/18 Newcastle 44 points

18/19 West Ham 52 points

19/20 Burnley 54 points

So abnormal high points total needed to finish just 10th this season as we could be getting 10 more points than some of those teams in past seasons. Or relying on West Brom to take points off Arsenal and Leeds in the run in but won't be holding my breath on that one!

47 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Anyone know if anyone has ever finished bottom half with 55 points as it's not impossible we could get another 7 points this season yet it's only good enough for 11th.

Just had a look at first 3 seasons of prem when it was 42 games and team finishing 12th didn't even get to 55 points.

18/19 West Ham 52 points

19/20 Burnley 54 points

So abnormal high points total needed to finish just 10th this season as we could be getting 10 more points than some of those teams in past seasons. Or relying on West Brom to take points off Arsenal and Leeds in the run in but won't be holding my breath on that one!

That's why I think just breaking the 50 pts barrier deserves a lot of credit. Great season. 

• Like 2

Just watching Sheff U. How on earth did we lose to them? They are awful. Results like that since Christmas have really halted our chances. 
Also, if Sander Berge is the answer then goodness knows what the question is! No thanks!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

18/19 West Ham 52 points

19/20 Burnley 54 points

It’s not only us, Leeds and Arsenal too. If Everton lost to West Ham and then to us then they’re in trouble in getting out of top 10. 
For me, we should target 8th (even though we have the hardest fixtures). Nothing to lose now, let’s play every game as a cup final. 
If we managed 9 points we could by a miracle get above Spurs and might actually have a chance for EL. So in the longer term, Leeds win today could be the best result for us. Although less than a draw against Utd would be dangerous. So our mini league is Arsenal, Leeds, Everton. We could drag Spurs in it. I doubt Liverpool would get dragged but if they start losing the could be too. 

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Just watching Sheff U. How on earth did we lose to them? They are awful. Results like that since Christmas have really halted our chances. 
Also, if Sander Berge is the answer then goodness knows what the question is! No thanks!

Agreed, I don't know what people are seeing in him?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree.

I've seen his name suggested on here many times lately and I am not sure why.

I can only guess people are listening to the 'hype' around him when he signed for SU. I've watched alot of Premier League this season as I guess most have, and every time I see Berge play he has been average at best, definitely not what we need.

Back on topic, 5 more wins and there's still a chance 😉