General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Tamworth had a goal disallowed for the striker being in an offside position, seems harsh compared to some of the things that go on but if that the rule then fine.

Skip to 2m 32secs

The keeper can come and claim the ball if that "offside player" doesn't pretend to go and get the ball. He backs off as the striker that's offside will get there first. 

its a blatant offside, that probably only gets given in the PL if it doesn't harm United. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

George Graham football would return. No thanks.

I'm not sure if that's the case, even at the time that boring boring Arsenal were winning the league, other sides were playing good football - and even though it wasn't particularly good to watch, there's something to be admired in how organised that Arsenal side was. I'd also add that in the modern game teams are less likely to be banging long balls up to the front man like they were back then.

The current rule is so absurdly confused about phases, eye-lines, active and inactive and interfering with play that there's no truth in it any more; offside seems to have become a matter of opinion - for me that's no way to operate a rule.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The keeper can come and claim the ball if that "offside player" doesn't pretend to go and get the ball. He backs off as the striker that's offside will get there first. 

its a blatant offside, that probably only gets given in the PL if it doesn't harm United. 

Offside player dummies it. How the lines(wo)men didn't flag it is outrageous.

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Offside should be offside - the way to fix the rule is to simply get rid of the whole interpretative idea of whether a player is active - declare every player as active, all the time, and offside becomes very simple.

I’m not sure I’d want a 25 yard screamer in to the top corner being called offside because of a player being off out by the corner flag. 

But broadly speaking, I agree, if you’re close to the ball, you’re active. 

This used to work just fine with very little cunfusion. What an absolute mess we’ve made of this game. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I’m not sure I’d want a 25 yard screamer in to the top corner being called offside because of a player being off out by the corner flag. 

But broadly speaking, I agree, if you’re close to the ball, you’re active. 

This used to work just fine with very little cunfusion. What an absolute mess we’ve made of this game. 

The problem is the rule makers and enforcers clearly can't be trusted to make sensible subjective decisions, so the slim possibility of a 25 yard screamer being called offside because of a player being off out by the corner flag is the sacrifice that has to be made in order to resolve many, many more times instances of controversial goals being given or disallowed.

Faroe Islands going for what I’m guessing would be one of the best results in their history against Poland are then given a more than debatable penalty for handball.

Even if this is handball, how does the punishment even remotely fit the crime?

Meanwhile, they’re trying to increase the chances of a penalty being converted from that lowly 0.8xG by preventing goalkeepers from moving. But what about the kicker?

Lewandowski basically stutter stops twice n the run up and nothing looked at.

Edited by fightoffyour

58 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Andy Madley bringing his brand of officiating to international football now

Checks who Korea are playing... Makes sense

Son is a diving clearing in the woods anyway so maybe some justice

9 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

"Yeah, it looks like a clear trip. Just wind that back. Yes defender has taken out Son, doesn't get near the ball, I'm probably going to recommend a penalty."

*pause*

"So what happens is Son is tripped but, yes because the defender makes an attempt to play the ball, no penalty."

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

VAR: Yeah looks very much like a pen, but if we call the ref over to the monitor the Saudi coach is gonna go mental and I don’t want him to have to deal with that. No pen.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

VAR: Yeah looks very much like a pen, but if we call the ref over to the monitor the Saudi coach is gonna go mental and I don’t want him to have to deal with that. No pen.

Think Saudi coach is the least of his Saudi issues😜

Our penalty was why I didn't want VAR, tough one with no real right answer no matter how many times you watch it, I obviously think he got the man first but I'd be fuming if I was a Palace fan

Also said in the match thread the offside is offside but it feels to me like the offside rule now is something no one wants, they can correctly spot someone an inch offside after stopping the game and watching it 5 times but they can't spot who is interfering with play or that the whole phases thing is complete nonsense

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Our penalty was why I didn't want VAR, tough one with no real right answer no matter how many times you watch it, I obviously think he got the man first but I'd be fuming if I was a Palace fan

Also said in the match thread the offside is offside but it feels to me like the offside rule now is something no one wants, they can correctly spot someone an inch offside after stopping the game and watching it 5 times but they can't spot who is interfering with play or that the whole phases thing is complete nonsense

In real time, I thought it was an absolutely fantastic tackle.

With slow motion replays, you see he touches Ollie's shin before he gets the ball. Enough to be a penalty? I'm not certain, but I am certain that if it wasn't given on the pitch, it wouldn't have been changed by VAR,

What I don’t like is when the ref goes over to the monitor and he is still talking to VAR as he looks at the incident. Let the ref make his own decision once he is called over, he is the match official after all. 

Just now, WHY said:

What I don’t like is when the ref goes over to the monitor and he is still talking to VAR as he looks at the incident. Let the ref make his own decision once he is called over, he is the match official after all. 

Nah I don't mind that, good to bounce off someone else for your own sanity, I'd expect the conversation to be along the lines of "I see this" vs "I see this" with then ultimately the pitch ref having the final say

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Nah I don't mind that, good to bounce off someone else for your own sanity, I'd expect the conversation to be along the lines of "I see this" vs "I see this" with then ultimately the pitch ref having the final say

Don’t see the point though. If the VAR official think he’s made a clear and obvious error he can’t really be subjective at this point, hence why the on field decision gets tuned over 99% of the time.

Â