General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66612570

Former Premier League referee Mike Dean failed to correct a mistake in a match to save his friend and fellow official Anthony Taylor from extra "grief".

"I said to Anthony afterwards: 'I just didn't want to send you to the screen after what has gone on in the game'.

"I didn't want to send him up because he is a mate as well as a referee and I think I didn't want to send him up because I didn't want any more grief than he already had."

3 hours ago, villan95 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66612570

Former Premier League referee Mike Dean failed to correct a mistake in a match to save his friend and fellow official Anthony Taylor from extra "grief".

"I said to Anthony afterwards: 'I just didn't want to send you to the screen after what has gone on in the game'.

"I didn't want to send him up because he is a mate as well as a referee and I think I didn't want to send him up because I didn't want any more grief than he already had."

Confirms what everyone has suspected for ages.

Refs protecting fellow refs.

VAR needs to be independent and supervised. 

• Like 3

This is the major problem with the VAR system, the referees just don't want to be seen to be wrong, even when they are. Friends shouldn't come into it. Watch the DRS system in cricket, the evidence is presented and the umpire corrects their decision if necessary, no egos, it is just about getting the correct decision (admittedly cricket decisions are less subjective than football ones on the whole). Until the people in charge accept that their rules need to be abided by, the VAR system is doomed to be a cancer on the premier league.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He is retired, doubt anything can be done

Not necessarily against Dean - more of an official investigation into refereeing that can result in implementing changes to improve accountability.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

It's just brutal honesty, emphasising that referees are human and VAR is just as prone to human error.

But nobody comes out of that looking good.

It’s not human error, though, it’s not doing your job because another person “might feel bad”.

It IS Mike Dean though, so who knows whether that’s true or whether he’s getting a talking point in the public domain for an upcoming book or something. 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

It’s not human error, though, it’s not doing your job because another person “might feel bad”.

It IS Mike Dean though, so who knows whether that’s true or whether he’s getting a talking point in the public domain for an upcoming book or something. 

He made a bad decision, that is an error, he is a human.

There seems to be a trend of refs wanting to go public talking about theur career after retiring (see clattenburg as another example) but they don’t seem to realise that “confessions” such as these are a completely different nature to any other ex pro talking about controversies. They genuinely bring the game and it’s officiating into disrepute 

8 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

He made a bad decision, that is an error, he is a human.

An error is making a mistake, he knew at the time it was the wrong decision, but still continued with it. That is intentionally manipulating the situation for his own purposes. He's just admitted he's a cheat. I have no sympathy with him, if he disagreed with the process, he should have resigned.

• Like 2

It’s utterly bizarre. They’ve completely gone away with punishing any dives or cheating, so why would rashford not dive there if the risk/reward is penalty or literally nothing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Dodgy red card and penalty because United are losing at OT. 

What’s new and what will ever change?

1) No way the contact brought him down

2) No way he goes down if it’s not in the box

3) No way he goes down if the foul results in an indirect free kick.

Â