General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

I don't understand Carlos's offside ruling.

Digne was in an offside position when Watkins headed the ball. Digne's defender moved to the goal line and Digne moved to a non-offside position and then moved in front of the defender to intercept the ball. How is this offside?

6 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

I don't understand Carlos's offside ruling.

Digne was in an offside position when Watkins headed the ball. Digne's defender moved to the goal line and Digne moved to a non-offside position and then moved in front of the defender to intercept the ball. How is this offside?

Digne was the first person to touch the ball after Watkins headed it.  As you say, he was offside when the header happened.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

As bad as the cancelled advantage was for City, I couldn't stop laughing. Now sure how Haaland didn't get a yellow for being deranged though

I like it because I'm not actually sure Grealish would have scored... I'm not sure if the defender wouldn't have caught him either 

They properly believe that they got robbed of the game but I'm not sure they did 

46 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

As bad as the cancelled advantage was for City, I couldn't stop laughing. Now sure how Haaland didn't get a yellow for being deranged though

He did, didn't he?

14 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Still no consistency - how can you book Zaniolo but not give a second yellow to Semenyo for a shirt pull? It’s ridiculous. 

Especially after Zaniolo's was after Semenyo's

• Like 1

Should have been a red for Semenyo but the ref thought nah I'm not sending him off, just stick to the rules of the game man.

That's why players and fans are so pissed off, what's given one week as a foul\card isn't the next.

The officiating currently is a mess and the guy at the top was one of the worst for reffing the occasion rather than the game itself, remember the world cup final studs in the chest and no red.

The refs, VAR and pundits to a lesser degree have ruined the game through greed as they all have their nose in the trough and unfortunately nobody is willing to change the status quo.

6 minutes ago, 6065_Villa said:

Should have been a red for Semenyo but the ref thought nah I'm not sending him off, just stick to the rules of the game man.

That's why players and fans are so pissed off, what's given one week as a foul\card isn't the next.

The officiating currently is a mess and the guy at the top was one of the worst for reffing the occasion rather than the game itself, remember the world cup final studs in the chest and no red.

The refs, VAR and pundits to a lesser degree have ruined the game through greed as they all have their nose in the trough and unfortunately nobody is willing to change the status quo.

To paraphrase the Commentator yesterday, if he wasn't already in a yellow card that would be given as one 

That bullshit has to go in the bin 

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Not sure, didn't notice him getting one

haaland yellow carded in 95th minute according to Livescore

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

VAR will take all the headlines, but another disasterclass of a refereeing performance that had nothing to do with VAR. 

Both in our game and City. 

The thing with our one though kurt VAR did not even look at it. Whats the point of having this garbage if you can't use it properly?

That's mostly my point. This would be the state of officiating without VAR. The fact VAR overturns so many decisions only compounds that.

I'm not a fan of these weird rules that only certain things can be reviewed as well. Not giving a clear and obvious yellow for a pull is a failure in refereeing and VAR should intervene, but they aren't allowed to.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

To paraphrase the Commentator yesterday, if he wasn't already in a yellow card that would be given as one 

That bullshit has to go in the bin 

I think that's probably it.  It's not a 'severe enough' pull of the shirt, he's just been booked... we'll let him off.  I don't think Kluivert should've gone despite the view of many others, but obviously Semenyo should've done.

I do think the City decision is worse, mind.

• Like 2

Premier League officiating has sunk so low that they are making a case for their own replacement.

And perhaps the replacement should be some form of an artificial intelligence protocol that understands every nuance of every rule and regulation and can make instant decisions and rulings without human error, unconscious bias or corruption. 

Â