Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I don’t think Smith froze Sanson out btw. He generally liked to take his time to integrate new players into the team, and Sanson kept getting injured as that was happening.

The issue with Gerrard was something personal.

What might help with Unai is he’s managed in France before, so assume he speaks a little bit of French, and is more used to handling a squad with players from all over the world. (I think this is one of the reasons foreign coaches have started to dominate the PL - it helps if you’ve travelled about a bit, managed in different leagues, and speak a couple of languages.)

Plus Sanson has a few French speakers around him now in Kamara, Digne, Guilbert,  Konsa (Congolese father), which must help him feel more settled.

Anyway, keen to see what he can do. I don’t think he’s the second coming, but he’s clearly good enough to deserve more game time this season, and he’s a nice composed midfielder with a great engine.

Sanson was hit by injuries when Smith had him. He played a part every game the season he joined until he got injured. He then mossed the pre season and when he came back in an EFL cup game he got injured again. Smith had no issues with him, he just was unlucky with injuries. 

Gerrard clearly didn't fancy him though

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I don’t think Smith froze Sanson out btw. He generally liked to take his time to integrate new players into the team, and Sanson kept getting injured as that was happening.

What might help with Unai is he’s managed in France before, so assume he speaks a little bit of French, and is more used to handling a squad with players from all over the world. (I think this is one of the reasons foreign coaches have started to dominate the PL - it helps if you’ve travelled about a bit, managed in different leagues, and speak a couple of languages.)

Plus Sanson has a few French speakers around him now in Kamara, Digne, Guilbert,  Konsa (Congolese father), which must help him feel more settled.

Anyway, keen to see what he can do. I don’t think he’s the second coming, but he’s clearly good enough to deserve more game time this season, and he’s a nice composed midfielder with a great engine.

It seems that way.  I hope he is given a fair chance under Emery, and if he's crap then so be it, we'll ship him off to Turkey for a cut price.  

I think there's still every chance Sanson isn't good enough.

He looked very composed when he came on yesterday which is encouraging, and I'm sure Emery will give him his fair chance. 

But i wouldn't be looking at a 10 minute cameo and assuming Smith and gerrard were wrong just from that

• Like 3

We will only know how good sanson is with starts. Thw cup game is a perfect opportunity to play him and kamara in cm with either mcginn or dendonker. Keep luiz on the bench for this one and have hin ready for brighton game

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Emery is from the French border so he should be quite fluent in French plus his 2 years in Paris

Near the border, and I don't think this is how it works (learning languages via proximity—if that's the case then why is my Spanish not perfect)! But yeah he has also lived in France.

EDIT:

image.thumb.png.9dc5421b86f3938393df9e50247016e6.png

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Agreed. Deano made a comment once about preferring to sign players from the Championship than abroad because it took less time for them to settle.

I think Sanson killed his chances with Gerrard with that one bad pass that led to a goal.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think there's still every chance Sanson isn't good enough.

He looked very composed when he came on yesterday which is encouraging, and I'm sure Emery will give him his fair chance. 

But i wouldn't be looking at a 10 minute cameo and assuming Smith and gerrard were wrong just from that

I don’t think you can bring Smith into the equation in all honesty as if I recall correctly wasn’t he injured for the most time.

As for Gerrard - do you really value any of his opinions ?

I believe we effectively have a new player on our hands 

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

I don’t think you can bring Smith into the equation in all honesty as if I recall correctly wasn’t he injured for the most time.

As for Gerrard - do you really value any of his opinions ?

I believe we effectively have a new player on our hands 

Well that’s basically what I was saying

He's played to a decent standard with Marseille, unless he just can't take to England he should be capable of being useful to a lower half Premier League team. Unfortunately under Smith he never really got the run of things with niggling injuries and then Gerrard clearly had a problem with him when his mistake lead to that goal and he became persona non grata. I'm sure Emery will give him some minutes and we'll get to see if he can hack the league or not.

My main worry for Sanson is how stacked midfield is. Where does he get time in there? We've got Iroegbunam coming back in summer too who will need game time too. 

Luiz, Kamara, Dendoncker and Iroegbunam for the 6s. That leaves the wide midfield where we'll have Buendia, Coutinho, Ramsey, McGinn, Sanson and Aaron Ramsey is coming back in summer too!!

I feel we are stacked in the midfield positions now and light in the forwards. Though it remains to be seen how we set up against low block teams who we have always struggled to break down. Pace in behind them won't work as there is no space behind a low block. Needs creative movement

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

My main worry for Sanson is how stacked midfield is. Where does he get time in there? We've got Iroegbunam coming back in summer too who will need game time too. 

Luiz, Kamara, Dendoncker and Iroegbunam for the 6s. That leaves the wide midfield where we'll have Buendia, Coutinho, Ramsey, McGinn, Sanson and Aaron Ramsey is coming back in summer too!!

I feel we are stacked in the midfield positions now and light in the forwards. Though it remains to be seen how we set up against low block teams who we have always struggled to break down. Pace in behind them won't work as there is no space behind a low block. Needs creative movement

I think Irroegbunam and Ramsey should go back out on loan again next season. It won’t hurt their development at all as they’re still so young. No need to rush them back here only to make the bench some game weeks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think Irroegbunam and Ramsey should go back out on loan again next season. It won’t hurt their development at all as they’re still so young. No need to rush them back here only to make the bench some game weeks. 

I agree totally - Sansom in my view and based on cameo’s does look a prospect 

23 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Sanson was hit by injuries when Smith had him. He played a part every game the season he joined until he got injured. He then mossed the pre season and when he came back in an EFL cup game he got injured again. Smith had no issues with him, he just was unlucky with injuries. 

Gerrard clearly didn't fancy him though

Not to mention it was Smith who literally gave Sanson #8. If that isn't a vote of confidence I don't know what is.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TomC said:

Agreed. Deano made a comment once about preferring to sign players from the Championship than abroad because it took less time for them to settle.

I think Sanson killed his chances with Gerrard with that one bad pass that led to a goal.

Mings has done countless worse ones than that. Sanson was annoyed with himself but to be frozen out like that was poor and terrible man management from gerrard 

• Like 2

Â