Formula One - 2021

BOF

4 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I'm still a bit perplexed as to why we can't see the onboard footage from Max's car when Lewis first went to overtake him.

Me too. Not a great look. If you were prone to conspiracy you might suggest they don't want us seeing Max straighten his wheel.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I'm still a bit perplexed as to why we can't see the onboard footage from Max's car when Lewis first went to overtake him.

I was convinced I somehow missed it, I’m sure in the very first replay it appeared like Max briefly flicked the steering to the right but then no confirmation. 

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was convinced I somehow missed it, I’m sure in the very first replay it appeared like Max briefly flicked the steering to the right but then no confirmation. 

One of the angles he clearly stops turning. That can happen when they lock up but it certainly didn’t look like a lock up to me. 

For me it was standard max. Either I keep you behind me or I’ll crash into you

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

One of the angles he clearly stops turning. That can happen when they lock up but it certainly didn’t look like a lock up to me. 

For me it was standard max. Either I keep you behind me or I’ll crash into you

Yeah, a little bit of opposite lock if he felt the back was about to step out, but it was nowhere near that.

I’m really intrigued why no steering angle data, or camera footage has been released.

Also, why no investigation? Doesn’t mean he’s guilty of something. Just formally check it.

Edited by Genie

7 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Still no footage of verstappen v Hamilton on board

But close up of hamilton undoing a buckle to get a flag to celebrate the win

Nothing dodgy at all 

They don't want Hamilton to win it,  (F1 / Sponsors) IMO.

I watched it with Dutch commentary yesterday.  Utterly outrageous in the bias but the penny dropped yesterday,  the Dutch were 100% sure he was going to walk it yesterday.  It doesn't matter who wins the title but Hamilton vs Verstappen in same car,  Hamilton wins every time,  wheel to wheel,  Verstappen can't live with Hamilton and he knows it.  

Hamilton is the best driver of a car I have ever seen,  better than all before him.

• Like 2

Nah, while Hamilton is undoubtedly the greatest of the current grid over his whole career by a mile, and along with Max is the current class of the field, I don't agree that he would currently beat Max in the same car 'every time'. I think the 2 would be neck and neck and I'm not sure Max wouldn't even have the edge right now. The Merc was the class of the field this weekend and yet Max gave them a damn good go.

And as for the whole goat discussion. That's one for opinions as it always is in any sport, but most ex-racers and a lot of fans disagree with you there too.

• Like 1

He's an ATG for sure but to call him the greatest ever is subjective. It's difficult to compare eras.  Sure he is statistically in absolute numbers, but if Fangio was doing 25 grand prix a season he'd have shit loads more wins etc. Same with Senna with poles. 

Also let's not pretend that the Merc since 2014 hasn't been just a cheat code. He's never won in a noticeably worse car, like say Alonso came super close to in 2012. Even this season it is still ridiculously fast and Red Bull generally only have an advantage on specific tracks/atmospheric conditions. You could argue Mexico was the only race in the whole second half where Red Bull had an outright pace advantage.

The thing that annoys me more than anything is the pettiness/dirty tricks from both sides. Toto, Lewis, Max and Horner are all bellends lets face it. 

I think Lewis's strength is that he has very few weaknesses.  Max's weakness is his attitude - he's incapable of seeing a bigger picture and reckless in the extreme.

Interesting to see a couple of things from the race, firstly that the FIA said there was no intention to cheat by Mercedes in the issue with their wing, and that punishments for that have in general been limited to the team in question being able to change the damaged part (rather than a twenty place grid penalty) and secondly that the race directors never did get to see the onboard footage from the Red Bull in the first overtake incident - they say they are reliant on the pictures released by the host broadcaster and that they were still waiting on that footage after the race.

There's a very difficult atmosphere around the paddock I think right now and I'm not sure how the FIA will police it - I'm pretty sure it would be possible to find a millimetre of doubt on any formula one car at any given moment and right now we have two teams on an absolute mission to ensure that the other is punished. 

It'd be nice if this championship is settled on the track.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Still no footage of verstappen v Hamilton on board

But close up of hamilton undoing a buckle to get a flag to celebrate the win

Nothing dodgy at all 

Why would you think that. What would the FIA gain? Lewis won. You would be looking at a 5 second time penalty for that so wouldn't affect the result one little bit.

4 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Why would you think that. What would the FIA gain? Lewis won. You would be looking at a 5 second time penalty for that so wouldn't affect the result one little bit.

It's still remarkable that there is no footage from inside Max's car at the most controversial part of the race. No matter what side of the fence you're on, it's quite amazing that they've not shown footage of Verstappen's steering wheel going into that corner.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's still remarkable that there is no footage from inside Max's car at the most controversial part of the race. No matter what side of the fence you're on, it's quite amazing that they've not shown footage of Verstappen's steering wheel going into that corner.

Yeah it's weird. I thought the on board footage was available all the time from every driver.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah it's weird. I thought the on board footage was available all the time from every driver.

Iirc only a certain number are fed back live at any one time from all the cameras on all the cars for use in the live broadcasts. I think it's about 30 total. But all the cameras are recording the entire time so they all get downloaded and FOM/FIA will have the onboard footage we want to see now.

If it doesn't come out before next race it'll pretty darn suspicious.

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Lewis wasn’t winning at the time. The whole weekend seemed to be stacked against Lewis. Could be coincidence of course. 

4 hours ago, BOF said:

On this, the Race Director has said the stewards didn't have access to the onboard and the rightholders need to release it before they can view it

I've been watching f1 since 1996, I've never known the stewards not having access to any camera view, sky broadcast so many camera options, yet they didn't have any way of viewing that onboard camera, I find that hard to believe, even now 24 hours after the race it still hasn't been shown

Cam only presume they are downloading it off the car via a 56k modem 

• Like 2