Formula One - 2021

BOF

14 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

No doubt it should have been penalised. Hamilton was as good as past Max, Max didn't even attempt to lock the steering over, which he needed to, but probably would have spun out.  I wouldn't be happy if I was Toto either, the fact they listened to Horner, then called off the investigation, although they know what's going on. 

I'm not defending Max as I do think he did it on purpose (but agree with those saying you can't prove it from what we've seen), but you can't just "lock the steering" on an F1 car. You can if you've slowed down enough, but if Max was braking hard then locking the steering would just spin the car.

I think he could have done more to make the corner, but just ramming it into full lock under heavy braking is not the way to do it

Edited by Stevo985

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Apparently it is being investigated and the FIA will make a decision before the end of the day whether Max deserves a penalty. 

Yeah Merc asked for it to be re-opened, as is their right. In light of the on-board footage becoming available.

It would be interesting if they compared his speed to other laps, if it’s the same or lower then they can ask why he struggled to stay on the track.

All this business does add an extra layer of excitement for the title run in. 

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't get it.

Might be just me that gets driven **** nuts by Crofty shoehorning in the contractually required mention of Sky Glass every 5 laps even in the middle of an overtake or someone rejoining from the pits.

He says the exact words from Sky Q onwards 20 times a race I think.

Edited by YouUnastanFren

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not defending Max as I do think he did it on purpose (but agree with those saying you can't prove it from what we've seen), but you can't just "lock the steering" on an F1 car. You can if you've slowed down enough, but if Max was braking hard then locking the steering would just spin the car.

I think he could have done more to make the corner, but just ramming it into full lock under heavy braking is not the way to do it

I think the stewards should interfere less and allow them to race. Those that finish more races will get more points and those that keeo crashing into the other cars will find they finish less races and dont win championships. 

29 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I think the stewards should interfere less and allow them to race. Those that finish more races will get more points and those that keeo crashing into the other cars will find they finish less races and dont win championships. 

A great idea right up until the point Toto tells Bottas to "race competitively with Max" and runs him off the track 3 races running.  Horner would do the same too.  If you give these guys an inch they will take the mile.  The stewards need to interfere to stop the teams being the enemy of good racing.  Let's face it, both team heads would be 100% comfy with a procession every race, so long as they are at the front.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If your referring to the incident, forcing another driver off the tracking is not racing. You would get a red flag for this even in karting.

My interest in F1 is only fleeting and I have no interest in motorsport beyond F1. Probably end up watching 5 races a year or so depending on what else there is to do.

I get that this season is really close and that there is excitement about who'll win but all this bickering and petty protests and bitching is really turning me off about the whole thing. Both Max and Hamilton comes off as complete bell ends and same with the team bosses.

13 minutes ago, sne said:

My interest in F1 is only fleeting and I have no interest in motorsport beyond F1. Probably end up watching 5 races a year or so depending on what else there is to do.

I get that this season is really close and that there is excitement about who'll win but all this bickering and petty protests and bitching is really turning me off about the whole thing. Both Max and Hamilton comes off as complete bell ends and same with the team bosses.

It's the exact same thing as every single football manager saying they were robbed by the refs and VAR every week. Same thing happens in combat sports about every single judges decision and even half of the stoppages. Competitive people try and bend the rules and influence the officials in their own favour.

3 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

It's the exact same thing as every single football manager saying they were robbed by the refs and VAR every week. Same thing happens in combat sports about every single judges decision and even half of the stoppages. Competitive people try and bend the rules and influence the officials in their own favour.

Yeah and it's annoying and boring. One of the reasons I stopped watching combat sports a decade or so ago.

Edited by sne

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah and it's annoying and boring. One of the reasons I stopped watching combat sports a decade or so ago.

There's always gonna be arguments when there's so much at stake. Ain't you ever refused to get the round in because it wasn't your turn. I bet you didn't just buy them again and be done with it.😂

19 minutes ago, sne said:

But it doesn't take away anything from the actual event itself though does it? If you don't like the talking heads you can just ignore them. I can't stand Eddie Hearn but I still watch cards he promotes, just not his press conferences or interviews.

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

But it doesn't take away anything from the actual event itself though does it? If you don't like the talking heads you can just ignore them. I can't stand Eddie Hearn but I still watch cards he promotes, just not his press conferences or interviews.

I still watch football, although no where close to as much as I used to thankfully. The pugilistic arts and motorsports I'm not interested enough about so every little bit that helps ruin it makes me less and less interested.

The main reason I stopped watching fight sports is their lax attitude towards doping. If you cheat at cycling or athletics it's bad but you are not putting anyone in danger apart from yourself. In boxing or MMA you risk killing someone or maiming them for life. Should be banned for life anytime and every time you use illegal substances and prosecuted as well.

As for F1 it's mainly the more and more convoluted rules that loses me.  DRS, they tyre rules, engine rules, this stuff about the wings and so on and so on. Having the two best drivers acting like prime Jordi Alba and Pepe just adds to it and then the team bosses making Klopp and Roy Keane seem like adults.

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

If your referring to the incident, forcing another driver off the tracking is not racing. You would get a red flag for this even in karting.

Nope, F1 in general. Blue flags should go as well as pit stops under safety car.

22 hours ago, Genie said:

It would be interesting if they compared his speed to other laps, if it’s the same or lower then they can ask why he struggled to stay on the track.

All this business does add an extra layer of excitement for the title run in. 

He had a much tighter point of entry. He could have been as fast, or even slightly slower, than previous laps and still legitimately not made the corner. 

If he braked slightly later (accidentally or not) then even more so.

There are far more variables than just speed

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

He had a much tighter point of entry. He could have been as fast, or even slightly slower, than previous laps and still legitimately not made the corner. 

If he braked slightly later (accidentally or not) then even more so.

There are far more variables than just speed

True, nowhere near enough to think about punishing Max.

My personal view is he did run Lewis off the road, but did it cleverly enough to make it not appear deliberate. 
They call it clever play in football don’t they, when a player “earns” a free kick or penalty.

Mercedes right to review denied outright so no decision even needs to be made and all the data and analysis is irrelevant.

Probably the best option they could have gone for really, other than admitting fault and then saying this will usually be a penalty but not this time because they **** up.

If they'd have given a punishment it would've had far more effect than if they'd just given it at the time which is unfair on RB and VER.

If they'd have reviewed it and decided that it was okay we'd have seen every overtake on the outside countered by just running them off the road without penalty.