Formula One - 2021

BOF

32 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

On this, the Race Director has said the stewards didn't have access to the onboard and the rightholders need to release it before they can view it

I've been watching f1 since 1996, I've never known the stewards not having access to any camera view, sky broadcast so many camera options, yet they didn't have any way of viewing that onboard camera, I find that hard to believe, even now 24 hours after the race it still hasn't been shown

Cam only presume they are downloading it off the car via a 56k modem 

I thought the FIA owned all the camera footage and sell it around the world?

I’m not having that excuse at all. At the time the race director said they’ve had a proper look and no investigation needed.

The plot thickens.

39 minutes ago, Genie said:

I thought the FIA owned all the camera footage and sell it around the world?

I’m not having that excuse at all. At the time the race director said they’ve had a proper look and no investigation needed.

The plot thickens.

I don't get it myself, the stewards, who you would think have every camera available to make decisions didn't have access to this camera

I'm not demanding max gers thrown out, a time penalty or any punishment, I just find it perplexing, like I said, in 25 years of watching f1, I've never known footage being unavailable to the stewards at all

You would think if they can't have all the footage live all of the time from every car, they would make damn sure that one of the cars they did have live was the current championship and race leader in a very tight and raucous championship would be one they have on at all times. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

On this, the Race Director has said the stewards didn't have access to the onboard and the rightholders need to release it before they can view it

I've been watching f1 since 1996, I've never known the stewards not having access to any camera view, sky broadcast so many camera options, yet they didn't have any way of viewing that onboard camera, I find that hard to believe, even now 24 hours after the race it still hasn't been shown

Cam only presume they are downloading it off the car via a 56k modem 

Yeah I always presumed there was a constant feed of every camera that people could access (not people as in you and me, people as in pit crews, officials, broadcasters etc).

Whenever they speak to "Anthony Davidson (or whoever) in Race Control" they always seem to be listening in to radio feeds and watching footage that isn't on the live broadcast. Similarly if you go on YouTube after races there are loads of clips of onboard footage and audio that you odn't see in the race that people have got from somewhere (uncensored as well)

So I assumed it was all available all the time.

Edited by Stevo985

19 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Why would you think that. What would the FIA gain? Lewis won. You would be looking at a 5 second time penalty for that so wouldn't affect the result one little bit.

It would, Bottas was within 5 seconds of Verstappen. Fewer points for Verstappen is huge in the driver standings.

The elephant in the room is that the officials saw Max open his steering towards Lewis and realised that if it became public they’d have to give him a very hefty punishment and it would all but end the title race.

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

It would, Bottas was within 5 seconds of Verstappen. Fewer points for Verstappen is huge in the driver standings.

And the constructors which is more important for the teams and £££'s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

The elephant in the room is that the officials saw Max open his steering towards Lewis and realised that if it became public they’d have to give him a very hefty punishment and it would all but end the title race.

But it wouldn't end the title race. He went into Brazil with a 19pt lead and made it 21pts after the sprint. Absolute worst case scenario is Hamilton still gets 25pts (Perez keeps his fastest lap) and Max gets zero instead of 18 (which would never have been zero but we'll play that scenario out) and he goes into Qatar 4pts behind Lewis. Even that's not the title race over. Say Max finishes 3rd with a realistic penalty. He still goes into Qatar 11pts clear in the championship.

But the continued absence of footage that is definitely out there and of huge interest to everyone, certainly does seem to hint that they did see him straighten his wheel. Until we see the footage this one is on Michael Masi for me, and not for the f**king first time. The guy is useless.

• Like 3

And close on the heels of Oscar Piastri announcing he will be Alpine's reserve driver next year, the inevitable news that Guanyu Zhou has secured the final race seat at Alfa Romeo for 2022. Fairwell Italian Jesus. Must say I'm very meh about Zhou. He's certainly ready, given he's been in F2 for what seems like an age.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

But it wouldn't end the title race. He went into Brazil with a 19pt lead and made it 21pts after the sprint. Absolute worst case scenario is Hamilton still gets 25pts (Perez keeps his fastest lap) and Max gets zero instead of 18 (which would never have been zero but we'll play that scenario out) and he goes into Qatar 4pts behind Lewis. Even that's not the title race over. Say Max finishes 3rd with a realistic penalty. He still goes into Qatar 11pts clear in the championship.

But the continued absence of footage that is definitely out there and of huge interest to everyone, certainly does seem to hint that they did see him straighten his wheel. Until we see the footage this one is on Michael Masi for me, and not for the f**king first time. The guy is useless.

Correct, title race over was the wrong term by me. Major shift towards Lewis winning it again.

Surely they have to release it at some point. Even the Tories would have caved by now when trying to ignore something that makes them look bad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

And close on the heels of Oscar Piastri announcing he will be Alpine's reserve driver next year, the inevitable news that Guanyu Zhou has secured the final race seat at Alfa Romeo for 2022. Fairwell Italian Jesus. Must say I'm very meh about Zhou. He's certainly ready, given he's been in F2 for what seems like an age.

Zhou definitely seems to be one of the better racers in F2 this season so makes sense

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah this is what Sky Race Control reported during the race.

I mean it would suggest it was a coincidence, given it happened live. They couldn't have known what would happen. 

But you'd still think both feeds would be available

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Zhou definitely seems to be one of the better racers in F2 this season so makes sense

I think he lacks outright pace. He's a steady Eddie. That's why he's kinda been there or thereabouts for 3 seasons and not done a whole lot. He also seems to benefit quite a bit from reverse grid points. But he has cash and he's at least more deserving than Mazepin so no complaints per se, just that I don't expect much from him.  The next class of graduates from F2 promise to be much more talented. Piastri included.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think he lacks outright pace. He's a steady Eddie. That's why he's kinda been there or thereabouts for 3 seasons and not done a whole lot. He also seems to benefit quite a bit from reverse grid points. But he has cash and he's at least more deserving than Mazepin so no complaints per se, just that I don't expect much from him.  The next class of graduates from F2 promise to be much more talented. Piastri included.

Yeah I was gonna say, even though he's 2nd in the championship, I can't recall many, if any, races this season where I've thought "Bloody hell he looks good!". Whereas I have thought that about PIastri, Shwartzman, Ticktum... even the Indian Jason Derulo at times

29 minutes ago, BOF said:

Tough gig that as well. Seems like Bottas with no pressure on him in the other Alfa is going to be fast as ****. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

Well I am sure Martin Brundle said he would still be second so infront of Bottas. Sorry I understand everyone loves a conspiracy theory but again I dont get what the FIA would get out of not punishing a drivers mistake if they thought he was at fault. Even if you summise he would have been behind Bottas I am pretty sure the Red Bull would have had the beating of him.