Formula One - 2021

BOF

To be fair there has always been a fair bit of corruption in F1, back to the days of Prost and Senna, anyone seen the film Senna. Also Schumacher always got way with murder, Max Moseley was a bit dodge and everyone knows Bernie Ecclestone has his own way of running the sport. 

Nothing to see here...................

6 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

If they wanted to ignore the rules in the name of entertainment they should have red flagged a few laps earlier and then we'd have had a straight shoot out on new softs.

I think it would have been the fairest way given the circumstances, championship on the line etc.

Strictly speaking though he should have got all the lapped cars out of the way at the very least.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That being said, it’s a real shame the championship ended like that. For all the moaning Max fans do about the stewards being against Max, the stewards have absolutely gifted him the title at the end there. It made no sense to me at the time and the more I’ve seen afterwards just makes it more and more baffling. 

I don't think for one second Masi wanted to gift it to Max but probably panicked and tried to get the race finished not under the safety car and made a real dumb decision. If Masi stays in post I would be worked on the Red Bull team as he is bound to try and even it up at some point.

• Like 3

Feels like cutting my nose off to spite my face, but I'm done with F1. I've spent many hours watching every quali and race, £100s going to Silverstone only to see it all wasted by that disgrace.

Considering the highly questionable morals of the sport (in every regard), it is no surprise to see the result contrived. Highly disappointing, no more time wasted on this.

If people find a post offensive, should they...

a) report the post to the moderators or

b) keep quoting it, repeating what offended you and causing even more work for the people you should have reported it to in the first place?

Clue: the answer isn't b)

16 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I don't think for one second Masi wanted to gift it to Max but probably panicked and tried to get the race finished not under the safety car and made a real dumb decision. If Masi stays in post I would be worked on the Red Bull team as he is bound to try and even it up at some point.

Oh I don’t think he did it to deliberately give Max the title. 

But his actions effectively did hand him the title. He basically did everything possible to hand it to Max short of black flagging Lewis 

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Dodgy that Horner asked/told Masi over the radio they need 1 more lap, an got it.

Trump called the Secretaty of State for Georgia. "What I want to do is this. I just want to find 11,780 votes, which is one more than [the 11,779 vote margin of defeat] we have, because we won the state". Striking similarities with Horner & Masi. 

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Dodgy that Horner asked/told Masi over the radio they need 1 more lap, an got it.

Toto called earlier in the race and asked him not to bring out the safety car and Masi didn't..........don't think either affected Masi's decision.

If Masi gets his action together he tells all the cars to unlap themselves, the race restarts, Max goes past Lewis and that’s that.

I imagine thats the way the FIA will argue it, it was a mess, but the result would have been the same if he’d have called for all unlapped cars to unlap themselves. 

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Surely Mercedes won't give this up, they haven't followed the rules and have literally gifted the championship to Max. 

They have already lodged an appeal. I cannot see it getting further than the one today.

I hope they put all their efforts into it to be honest, the more time they spend on this the less effort they can put in to prep for next season.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

If Masi gets his action together he tells all the cars to unlap themselves, the race restarts, Max goes past Lewis and that’s that.

I imagine thats the way the FIA will argue it, it was a mess, but the result would have been the same if he’d have called for all unlapped cars to unlap themselves. 

Would have took another lap for all the cars to unlap themselves. The last lap.

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

They have already lodged an appeal. I cannot see it getting further than the one today.

I hope they put all their efforts into it to be honest, the more time they spend on this the less effort they can put in to prep for next season.

I can't imagine the legal team has much of a role to play in preparing for the new season tbh

• Like 3

Just now, Davkaus said:

I can't imagine the legal team has much of a role to play in preparing for the new season tbh

Oh I think Toto will have his hands all over this, don't you?

It's more of a joke as they hand out the awards on Thursday so would imagine it will be resolved by then, unless Red Bull feel they need to appeal themselves.

16 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Would have took another lap for all the cars to unlap themselves. The last lap.

Fair enough. I was listening on the radio, I couldn’t see the state of the track but I’d have thought if he really wanted to they could have released the lapped cars earlier and got them through the damage  area under double yellow flags or something. 

Edit: weren’t the cars all in a long snake by that point? Wouldn’t it have just taken a few seconds for the cars further back to pull out of the queue and speed past the safety car?

Edited by Genie

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

Fair enough. I was listening on the radio, I couldn’t see the state of the track but I’d have thought if he really wanted to they could have released the lapped cars earlier and got them through the damage  area under double yellow flags or something. 

Edit: weren’t the cars all in a long snake by that point? Wouldn’t it have just taken a few seconds for the cars further back to pull out of the queue and speed past the safety car?

The safety car would have had to do another lap and the race would have finished , as it has historically.