Formula One - 2021

BOF

Just now, Zatman said:

Surely next season will be a bigger financial blockbuster after this as more people will be interested 

thats all well and good, but if or when a sport can arbitrarily start not adhering to its own rules, thats a rather slippy slop to people going off a sport.

Although tbh, i doubt it would make a difference, the money will keep rolling and the "officiating" will keep being ropey, i mean look at football....didnt stop that did it lol.

I dunno, im shocked and not shocked at the incompetence and/or corruption of some decisions, its shocking that it can happen in a highly regulated sport (although tbh, again, it isnt if im honest).

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Surely next season will be a bigger financial blockbuster after this as more people will be interested 

Do things like this increase interest though? There’s a reason that sports have rules and any sport that just decides it’s going to make rules up as it goes along isn’t that attractive to me as a sports fan in general.

If we were 3-0 up against United in the FA Cup in January and then they just decided the next goal was worth 4 I’d lose my interest in football.

Edited by tom_avfc
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Do things like this increase interest though? There’s a reason that sports have rules and any sport that just decides it’s going to make rules up as it goes along isn’t that attractive to me as a sports fan in general.

If we were 3-0 up against United in the FA Cup in January and then they just decided the next goal was worth 4 I’d lose my interest in football.

Not for the loyal fan the organisations dont care about them but to a casual fan thats what they are aiming for really 

Just now, Zatman said:

Not for the loyal fan the organisations dont care about them but to a casual fan thats what they are aiming for really 

I can say I've not watched a full race all season, but I'm spamming F5 tonight :D 

Just now, Zatman said:

It depends who the casual fan is though. If a fan of any other sport had tuned in to that as their first f1 race they’d have recognised the farcical ending and I’m not sure you’re attracting many of them for next season.

Manufacturing drama by completely changing rules isn’t a great look for a sport and neither is finishing a season with discussions between officials and lawyers.

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

It depends who the casual fan is though. If a fan of any other sport had tuned in to that as their first f1 race they’d have recognised the farcical ending and I’m not sure you’re attracting many of them for next season.

Manufacturing drama by completely changing rules isn’t a great look for a sport and neither is finishing a season with discussions between officials and lawyers.

Here is what I cannot understand. Masi must have know Max was on new softs and Lewis was on old hards so what he tried to do was bound to end as it has.

Why do it? Just let the race end under the safety car and no one would have complained.

• Like 3

Just now, mykeyb said:

Here is what I cannot understand. Masi must have know Max was on new softs and Lewis was on old hards so what he tried to do was bound to end as it has.

Why do it? Just let the race end under the safety car and no one would have complained.

Yeah this is what I was trying to say earlier. It’s hardly much more of a spectacle to get them “racing” for a lap where Verstappen was always going to pass him and win with ease. It’s just the weirdest bit of officiating I’ve seen in any sport for a long time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I think the most exciting ending was to restart with all the cars in the way. At least then Max would have had a lap to carve through half the field to get to Lewis and look like a hero.

Would have been better than just ending under the safety car (although still likely to end in a Hamilton victory).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

End on a safety car then would be criticised by others as a farce and ruined the Championship as a tv spectacle.Race director was in a no win situation 

This week was probably the most mainstream attention Formula One has received in 10/15 years