Formula One - 2021

BOF

It'll be fascinating to see how the FIA get out of this - they've dug themselves a massive hole. 

I suspect they'll need to give Mercedes and Toto Wolff an awful lot of stuff for next season, an awful lot of promises and an awful lot of money and that they'll then claim Masi made a mistake, Mercedes have accepted it and they've sacked him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'll be fascinating to see how the FIA get out of this - they've dug themselves a massive hole. 

I suspect they'll need to give Mercedes and Toto Wolff an awful lot of stuff for next season, an awful lot of promises and an awful lot of money and that they'll then claim Masi made a mistake, Mercedes have accepted it and they've sacked him.

Worst possible outcome because it will give Red Bull and their weird fans the chance to say everything is a fix based on this season

43 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

That's what amazes me. How the gaps are lost every time a safety car comes on.

Yes, it's really not right. 

Maybe they should add the time gaps back on at the end of the race or find a way of getting the cars to spread out on e the race restarts.  It is daft that a hard earned lead over another driver should just be eroded to virtually zero through no fault of your own. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Maybe they should add the time gaps back on at the end of the race or find a way of getting the cars to spread out on e the race restarts.  It is daft that a hard earned lead over another driver should just be eroded to virtually zero through no fault of your own. 

Could be used again, you could even get your team mate to stop/ crash/ breakdown and instigate the safety car to allow the gap to close .

• Like 1

Just now, VillaJ100 said:

I absolutely didn't want Hamilton to win, but what a shit storm. I can't see how RB can be punished cos they didn't do anything wrong, but they should make the codes way more concrete and probably sack Masi. 

RB didn't do anything wrong, just like Mercedes didn't do anything wrong, but were still punished by a safety car decision caused by a driver that'll never achieve anything in his career. 

This isn't about laying blame on RB, this is about the right winner being decided after what was an entertaining season of racing. The events that transpired may not be RB's fault, but they might still affect RB unfortunately. 

The teams aren't in the wrong here. The wrongdoing has already happened and Masi will likely lose his job as a result. Now it's about setting things right, or at the very least drawing a line under the whole thing after an investigation has taken place. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I dont see anything changing though, the FIA wont rule against itself, would anyone actually expect an outcome which changes anything?, i wont be holding my breath.

I do wonder at what point some of the sponsors start getting edgy.  You've got what clearly is a highly controversial decision entirely designed to engineer not only the outcome of a race but the entire championship.  Something that smells out outright corruption.  And then refuse to do anything to rectify it. 

If I was a sponsor I would be having serious doubts about if this was an organisation I would want to have my name plastered all over. 

Edited by sidcow

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah. I'm a complete F1 noob but it just seems insane.

1 minute ago, Daweii said:

RB didn't do anything wrong, just like Mercedes didn't do anything wrong, but were still punished by a safety car decision caused by a driver that'll never achieve anything in his career. 

This isn't about laying blame on RB, this is about the right winner being decided after what was an entertaining season of racing. The events that transpired may not be RB's fault, but they might still affect RB unfortunately. 

The teams aren't in the wrong here. The wrongdoing has already happened and Masi will likely lose his job as a result. Now it's about setting things right, or at the very least drawing a line under the whole thing after an investigation has taken place. 

You say that but what was Masi's incentive to break these rules, is he on the take from RB? There's a lot more to this.

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

You say that but what was Masi's incentive to break these rules, is he on the take from RB? There's a lot more to this.

There’s really not. He didn’t want to end the championship under a safety car because it’d be a major anticlimax, so he totally screwed everything up instead.

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

I agree that something isn't right here. Hopefully we will find out his motive/incentive for breaking these rules as I'm definitely curious. 

18 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Worst possible outcome because it will give Red Bull and their weird fans the chance to say everything is a fix based on this season

Unlike now when the equally weird Mercedes fans are saying everything is fixed :D 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I don’t think it’s that kind of corruption. It’s incompetence.

He saw the race finishing under a safety car or not having a neck and neck finish as something to be avoided and in the process made a snap decision that was against the rules of the sport, creating an almighty mess. If he’d have stuck to the rules we’d have had a boring finish, moans from red bull but ultimately it wouldn’t have become this unseemly mess.

• Like 4

Fwiw I'm pretty certain that the ones footing the bill for this spectacle dd not want the race and championship to end on a yellow flag and damp squib.

We might get to hear Masi on the phone with the team bosses but we certainly will not hear the calls he gets from the ones who runs the show.