Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda

HKP90

Just wanted to put a question to you all to pass the time. Which villa players have been nearly-men....they had the tools and the talent to be exceptional, or to kick on, but for whatever reason...time, circumstances, injury, whatever, never saw their villa career take off. 

I’ll start you off with Luc Nilis. What a signing he could have been..could have taken us to the next level, a real marquee player. Scored an absolute worldie, then got a career ending injury. Such a tragedy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Gana, Veretout, Adama, Amavi... part of that horror relegation season squad which was masking their class as the club was mired in poor management and ownership. Oh for them to be arriving now!

Yeah, hard to see how we mucked that up so badly. Some real talent but absolutely no balance. 

• Like 1

The signing of Tony Cascarino sticks in the mind. Was meant to be the final piece of the jigsaw in what should have been a title winning season. Wasn’t to be.

Stan was a disappointing one.  Coming home and all that.  

Sasa Curcic.  Was really excited when we signed him but was a real let down.

29 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

The signing of Tony Cascarino sticks in the mind. Was meant to be the final piece of the jigsaw in what should have been a title winning season. Wasn’t to be.

Stan was a disappointing one.  Coming home and all that.  

Sasa Curcic.  Was really excited when we signed him but was a real let down.

Brought the wrong Millwall forward

• Like 2

Watching Vassell come through the reserves back in the day, he had the most unbelievable talent, lightning quick, brilliant feet, a really good finisher,  he was exceptional. His fault was that he was too nice, you have to be aggressive to succeed in this league up top, a bit of an arsehole, I always felt he played slightly within himself because he was afraid of the fame. 

• Like 1

And even further back - Stephen Cooke - twinkletoes himself, a body sway like Grealish, balance, touch and the ability to put a ball in a bucket from forty yards - if someone had been able to give that boy two inches of height and two stone of muscle he'd have been king of the world.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

And even further back  Stephen Cooke -  if someone had been able to give that boy two inches of height and two stone of muscle he'd have been king of the world.

www.retroboy.co.uk

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

For me, it was o'neills team that were fighting for top 4. We signed heskey in jan snd the rest is history. If we had signed an actual goalscorer who knows where we could have gone

O'Neill signing Heskey was extremely embarrassing when you remember that Falcao, little known at the time, was offered to us not long before that. And then you had Cavani, who was supposedly engineering a move to us as well. Maybe they wouldn't have settled here at that stage in their careers, but why would you sign Heskey instead of them? You'd have to be a sentimental stick-in-the-mud who only signs players he knows.

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Remember fenton? He was suppose to be really highly regarded but massively flopped.

I think hendrie could have been great as well but never really hit the real heights i thought he could. 

Didnt Fenton win Man of the Match in the cup final? pretty sure thats not a flop for a youth prospect

Â