Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda

HKP90

Nilis for the injury

Falcao for the one that got away (I didn't know about Roberto Carlos at the time) 

The moores as the ones that didn't live up to expectation, the fonz comes close

With the next gen / peace cup team, then the quality of who we bought when we went down we've made a right mess of more than a few players 

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

For me, it was o'neills team that were fighting for top 4. We signed heskey in jan snd the rest is history. If we had signed an actual goalscorer who knows where we could have gone

Don't think it was just the goalscorer, it's that we signed a big target man when we had arguably the best big target man in the league in Carew, we needed a smaller, quicker striker to buzz around him, someone to offer something different and we went and bought exactly the same player albeit it worse and then tried to shoe horn him in

If we'd have found a Benteke + Weimann combo for big John we'd have got 4th 

Well, as well as arsenal not being able to sign world class Russians 6 days after everyone else was stopped from buying players... 

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

For me, it was o'neills team that were fighting for top 4. We signed heskey in jan snd the rest is history. If we had signed an actual goalscorer who knows where we could have gone

Darren Bent or someone of that ilk signing a year or two earlier is what we needed to do back then, we were linked with Defoe most windows around that time.

Guy whittingham....a prolific goal scorer with Portsmouth a goal every 1.8 games.

came to us and flopped to a goal every 5 games.

We bought the wrong one again.....should have had his partner, Paul Walsh.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Don't think it was just the goalscorer, it's that we signed a big target man when we had arguably the best big target man in the league in Carew, we needed a smaller, quicker striker to buzz around him, someone to offer something different and we went and bought exactly the same player albeit it worse and then tried to shoe horn him in

If we'd have found a Benteke + Weimann combo for big John we'd have got 4th 

Well, as well as arsenal not being able to sign world class Russians 6 days after everyone else was stopped from buying players... 

Not how I remember it, carew had been injured for quite some time and gabby was forced to play as a lone striker. We needed another target man to allow us to play a front 2.

The Heskey signing was not the problem, he was a good backup target man. MON likes to keep a small team, was very loyal to them and we had a difficult year with the amount of fixtures we had to play. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Watching Vassell come through the reserves back in the day, he had the most unbelievable talent, lightning quick, brilliant feet, a really good finisher,  he was exceptional. His fault was that he was too nice, you have to be aggressive to succeed in this league up top, a bit of an arsehole, I always felt he played slightly within himself because he was afraid of the fame. 

100%

Bamford has got 8 goals through having 0 talent but being a 100% arsehole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Neale Cooper.

I was looking forward to him kicking the shit out of the opposition (between suspensions) but was always injured and played about ten games.

Edited by rjw63

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Didnt Fenton win Man of the Match in the cup final? pretty sure thats not a flop for a youth prospect

He did. There's a pic somewhere of Paul Ince on the deck, looking up at Fenton as if to say "who is this kid that's just clattered me ?!". Fenton is standing over him, staring him out.

Shades of Birchy and Mattheus 

For me Hitz and Berson.

Former I guess you can argue made it, but I feel he wasn't 100% here.

Latter I didn’t quite understand. He looked v good to me then just disappeared. I will admit it's possible having any player willing to pass the ball on the pitch instead of hoofing was refreshing at that point in time. Maybe it colours my impression a tad.

During my time supporting Villa, since the early/mid 90s (and  will exclude the championship years (and the year prior to that), as the list would expand ten fold........)

Djemba Djemba, there was a lot of fan hype when he joined.......ouch.

N'Zogbia, came with some actual pedigree.......ouchy.

Crouch, even to this day i still think he was good enough for us, but never showed it, i think the issue was we played long balls to him (his weakness), and didnt play to his feet (his strength considering his size).

Sasa Curcic, came as the "missing piece of the jigsaw".....turned out he was all round pegs in square holes.

Collymore, such talent, such wasted talent.

Edited by MaVilla

3 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Gana, Veretout, Adama, Amavi... part of that horror relegation season squad which was masking their class as the club was mired in poor management and ownership. Oh for them to be arriving now!

This makes fascinating reading now.

Gana is playing for PSG.

Veretout is playing for Roma (and has 8 goals in 126 appearances this season, with them sitting third in the table)

Amavi has been at Marseilles ever since leaving us. Finished 2nd in the table last season.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This makes fascinating reading now.

Gana is playing for PSG.

Veretout is playing for Roma (and has 8 goals in 126 appearances this season, with them sitting third in the table)

Amavi has been at Marseilles ever since leaving us. Finished 2nd in the table last season.

Crikey, have Roma had a game every day this season then?  :trollface:

• Haha 1

Â