Please tell me when to stop laughing at SHA

rjw63

12 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Why would you want to be knocked out by a 90th minute Deeney goal?

We wouldnt be. We’d destroy them. We even beat them the year we went down with that shocking side. What they had one flukey cup win against us in about the last 15-20 meetings? I want the derby atmosphere at Villa Park in a cup game

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I know you weren’t asking me but….

I don’t know you so don’t know where you are from, your age or if you go to games and I think all these things are relevant on this.

If you are local as opposed to from further afield then the games are unquestionably different. When I lived in Brum and had to work with noses, the prospect of a defeat to them and at times the reality of one was always far worse than a win was pleasurable. They are no win games for us really.

If you haven’t been a local and felt what it is to lose one then it is hard to explain how bad it is.

Then there is the games themselves, horrible, violent, hate filled, nasty experiences where people get hurt. It isn’t what football should be about.

Personally I’d be perfectly happy if we never play them again.

The point I was kind of making on the Brentford thread re the Toney ‘jesture’ on Saturday. Somethings are better off left very much in the past

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t know you so don’t know where you are from, your age or if you go to games and I think all these things are relevant on this.

If you are local as opposed to from further afield then the games are unquestionably different. When I lived in Brum and had to work with noses, the prospect of a defeat to them and at times the reality of one was always far worse than a win was pleasurable. They are no win games for us really.

If you haven’t been a local and felt what it is to lose one then it is hard to explain how bad it is.

Then there is the games themselves, horrible, violent, hate filled, nasty experiences where people get hurt. It isn’t what football should be about.

the prospect of a defeat to them and at times the reality of one was always far worse than a win was pleasurable

This is it.  

The defeats will be talked about for years.  It will be weeks of having your face rubbed in it and they will be trotter out for years.  Happy Enkleman day anyone? 

The victories are just pure relief we've avoided all that and after the initial euphoria of beating them forgotten about. 

But the weeks of nervousness leading up to it are unbearable. Like I said, we just can't win this game. 

18 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Definitely this. I don’t live in Brum, never have and never will, but I have been to St. Andrews. We won, but it really was a horrible experience. Just complete and reckless mayhem. It just isn’t safe. I wouldn’t do it again, and would outright forbid my son from going there should he ever want to. It felt safer at VP, but probably just because we got away easier. I have also seen, completely unrelated to a game, a Blues fan kick the shit out of a guy for wearing Villa colours in a hotel bar in Brum city centre. In the middle of the day. Nasty, terrible stuff.

That, and we can’t win. We really can’t. Nope, don’t want to ever play them again. Which is a shame, really. Derbies should be fun. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

the prospect of a defeat to them and at times the reality of one was always far worse than a win was pleasurable

This is it.  

The defeats will be talked about for years.  It will be weeks of having your face rubbed in it and they will be trotter out for years.  Happy Enkleman day anyone? 

The victories are just pure relief we've avoided all that and after the initial euphoria of beating them forgotten about. 

But the weeks of nervousness leading up to it are unbearable. Like I said, we just can't win this game. 

Funnily enough I saw this in action earlier today on Reddit. A guy was talking about how he didn't want to play them in the cup because of what happened last time, referring to the LC in 2011, but he'd completely forgotten that we beat them in the same Cup in 2015 during one of our worst seasons ever.

Somehow the earlier loss was more memorable, mainly because we never hear the end of it, yet surely managing to beat them in one of our worst seasons ever deserves some form gloating right?

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Funnily enough I saw this in action earlier today on Reddit. A guy was talking about how he didn't want to play them in the cup because of what happened last time, referring to the LC in 2011

01/12/2010

I was in a nightclub in Bangkok and watching the game. Remember trying to explain to an American guy I was chatting to why I hated them so much! 

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Villa vs small heath must be the most hate filled derby game in the country? 

Has to be, even with the Brummie-specs taken off. So many incidents on and off the pitch in those games since they were promoted into the PL in 200...2?

Manchester derby isnt the same now that City are loaded up on oil money, as it's basically a pissing contest to see who has more plastic fans. (Although Uniteds "proper" fans are better). Also, two top 4 clubs dont want to lose to each other, so the derby spice has gone - back in the day, City fans were desperate to get one over on the bigger club down the road. Now they just play out dull draws.

Merseyside seems like a nice friendly rivalry. Newcastle-Sunderland is similar to ours, but you dont see their fans wanting to tear it up, and it rarely kicks off on the pitch, and London derbies are all full of foppish ponces who wave £50 notes at one another from opposing executive suites.

Edit: rumours Deeney may be off to Rangers, not SHA

Edited by StewieGriffin

5 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Has to be, even with the Brummie-specs taken off. So many incidents on and off the pitch in those games since they were promoted into the PL in 200...2?

Manchester derby isnt the same now that City are loaded up on oil money, as it's basically a pissing contest to see who has more plastic fans. (Although Uniteds "proper" fans are better). Also, two top 4 clubs dont want to lose to each other, so the derby spice has gone - back in the day, City fans were desperate to get one over on the bigger club down the road. Now they just play out dull draws.

Merseyside seems like a nice friendly rivalry. Newcastle-Sunderland is similar to ours, but you dont see their fans wanting to tear it up, and it rarely kicks off on the pitch, and London derbies are all full of foppish ponces who wave £50 notes at one another from opposing executive suites.

Edit: rumours Deeney may be off to Rangers, not SHA

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1869482.stm

On 18 March 2000, Sunderland Association Football Club were playing at home to Middlesbrough.

As usual, for safety, Newcastle United had been scheduled to play away.

very similar hatred  to ours

03rd March 2003. I was travelling around Australia with my girlfriend. Stayed up to silly o'clock to watch the Villa v Blues derby in a bar in Melbourne. 

We lost 2-0. On the way back to the hostel I was attacked from behind and mugged by a guy in a Birmingam City shirt. In Melbourne. I'd be happy if we never played them again.

Melbourne city centre though, so I should have seen it coming, mate.

Edited by Don_Simon
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 2

Worst holiday I’ve been on had Villa versus Small Heath on the first night, it was the game of the throw in to Enkleman.

We went away with the father in law who is possibly the biggest prick on the planet. We’ve not seen or spoken to him for over 10 years. My wife was really poorly the entire week. 
Couldn’t wait to get home. 

Â