Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

Playing golf tomorrow and will miss the game. Not bothered one bit. VAR has zapped all enjoyment of the sport away from me, not prepared to have it ruin another day when I could be doing something I enjoy. Praying they scrap it soon. Toys are well and truly out of the pram.

Hoping for a Villa 2-0 win though of course.

UTV.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andy81 said:

The game at Villa Park last season probably should have ended 0-0, although Jota probably missed the best chance when your keeper made a mistake.  I was at the game at Molinuex (remember thouse days?) and 2-1 flattered Villa from what I remember.

I'll be honest, I'm worried about tomorrow, I think Villa will win.  We're going through something of a transition period having lost our three leading goalscorers from last season (possibly the last two seasons actually), we have had a relatively big personnel change, as well as a system change, which when it works, looks very promising, however, we have made quite a few mistakes at the back recently that you may have picked up on.

With regards to your expected lineup, I agree, that will be it I imagine.  Rui, Marcal, Boly, Coady, Semedo, Neves, Dendonker, Moutinho, Podence, Neto, Adama.

Villa have impressed me this season, even without that freak Liverpool result, which I enjoyed immensely, you've been very easy on the eye and look dangerous in most games.  You were due to get a striker signing right after what feels like about ten duds, and Barkley fit in right away.  I thought you were so unlucky against West Ham, a draw would have flattered them.

As an aside, you'll probably be rilled up on Twitter etc this weekend, as will we I expect, I just wanted to say, I think you lot are all right! :) 

Excellent post. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John said:

We will start tomorrow afternoon's local derby in the bottom half of the table. Having won our first four league games of the season, we have now lost four of our next five, so we really do need to get a positive result at the Molineux. We are currently two points behind our Black Country hosts, albeit having played two games less than them. A win would take us above them and into the top half of the league again. It would also bring to an end their current run of three home wins against us. Wolves fans have considered their team the best in the West Midlands over the last couple of years and have not been slow in claiming that or in referring to the gap between us, which is currently wafer thin. Let's hope that gap and their winning home run against us, are both things of the past after this game!   

Overall, we have won 46 and have drawn 26, of the 110 league games that there have been between the two clubs. It has now been 8 years since we last won at the Molineux, but Wolves had not beaten us at home since 1978, before they did so in 2017. During that particular gap, there was no doubt which of us were the superior team!  

Wolves have won two of their five home games this season, we have won all but one of our four away games. They lost their last game 0-4 at Anfield, to the team that we beat 7-2 at Villa Park in October. Both teams will be going into the game looking for a win, but possibly both would not find a draw to be totally unacceptable. I would not say no to a point either, but a win would be so much nicer. Just win it for us Villa!     

Both teams are capable of winning this.....both have fire power.

Its the team who defends the better will come out on top.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I think wolves was one of the worst games in the league for us, Nuno's style beats smiths and to be fair to wolves Nuno's style is incredibly well drilled in to that team

They played with the 5 at the back, pushed Jonny and Doherty up with the wide players and overloaded our full backs, neves and moutinho can spread it about quickly and we couldn't get near them, Nuno has smiths number 

I'm convinced that Bielsa set his Leeds team up based on what he saw wolves do to us

So I'm sat here thinking tomorrow will be a hard afternoon... But them changing to a back 4 could change all of that, Leeds still managed to overwhelm us with a back 4 so the wide threat is still there

Its a test for Smith imo not because of our poor form but because we've changed our pressing and we're a better attacking threat but I'd still like to see some isolated game management from Smith and a better performance vs them than what we saw last year 

Think we'll lose 2-0

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think wolves was one of the worst games in the league for us, Nuno's style beats smiths and to be fair to wolves Nuno's style is incredibly well drilled in to that team

They played with the 5 at the back, pushed Jonny and Doherty up with the wide players and overloaded our full backs, neves and moutinho can spread it about quickly and we couldn't get near them, Nuno has smiths number 

I'm convinced that Bielsa set his Leeds team up based on what he saw wolves do to us

So I'm sat here thinking tomorrow will be a hard afternoon... But them changing to a back 4 could change all of that, Leeds still managed to overwhelm us with a back 4 so the wide threat is still there

Its a test for Smith imo not because of our poor form but because we've changed our pressing and we're a better attacking threat but I'd still like to see some isolated game management from Smith and a better performance vs them than what we saw last year 

Think we'll lose 2-0

I too think it will be tough....I still think midfield is where we will win or lose the game.

I am not such a tactics man as some( that doesn't mean i dismiss tactics)....I believe in players playing well and doing their job well, if we have everyone on their game....we can beat anyone.

too many off their game ( that includes concentration and individual errors) and we struggle as we have been doing lately, results wise.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 04/12/2020 at 10:24, wedge said:

I can only see another defeat here unfortunately. Can imagine it will be similar to West Ham, we'll be the better side but switch off a couple of times at the back and let them in and then no doubt get shafted by VAR.

lightning never strikes twice in the same spot.🤥🤥🤥

Why are so many wanting Ramsey to play, don't get me wrong I like the guy and think he could have a bright future with us, but the guy is 19 and barely played at this level, throwing him in against Neves and Moutinho is asking a lot from him. Such a risk playing him and I very much doubt Smith will either.

I think it'll most likely be Traore or Hourihane, I hope Traore, at least he has some pace and skill to cause them problems, whereas Hourihane is only really a threat from set pieces. Nakamba is another option to free up Luiz but not played much football so doubtful.

24 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Why are so many wanting Ramsey to play, don't get me wrong I like the guy and think he could have a bright future with us, but the guy is 19 and barely played at this level, throwing him in against Neves and Moutinho is asking a lot from him. Such a risk playing him and I very much doubt Smith will either.

I think it'll most likely be Traore or Hourihane, I hope Traore, at least he has some pace and skill to cause them problems, whereas Hourihane is only really a threat from set pieces. Nakamba is another option to free up Luiz but not played much football so doubtful.

Does he?

So far i've not seen it

Please, please, please do not play Hourihane.

At this level he is a one trick pony....reliant upon us getting a free kick around the penalty area and that's about all the contribution you'll get from him.

He's had his chance and blown it.

It has to be either Traore or Nakamba.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Because the alternative is Hourihane.

I don't know why Hourihane and Traore are taking so much flak. They haven't been great, but we should have won those games against Brighton and West Ham, and it wasn't their fault we didn't.

Our problem is a couple of defensive / finishing mistakes, and some bad luck. That's all. People are overthinking it.

I think this is going to be a very even game. We might benefit from some extra rest and Wolves having bigger injury problems than us. Or we might watch Traore tear Targett a new one again. Hard to say. Should be a decent game.