Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

Really hope we don't fall into the trap of playing like a "big" team and going all out attack against these. They will just pick us off on the break. 

Nuno is the ultimate Mourinho disciple and is a master and getting his team to just wait for mistakes from the opposition. I fear we may fall into the trap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

That's the spirit. They did lose 4 nil last weekend you know.

They played very well first half, Adama and Neto were causing Liverpool all sorts of problems, just couldn't find the right cross and the young Irish kid in goal made some good saves.

I get the feeling we'll start our own Traore so Doug  and SJM going to have to cover loads of ground as think Wolves will play 3 central midfielders so could overload us in that position as Traore dosen't seen an obvious player who can drop back into midfield and press like Barkley can when we don't have the ball.

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

That's the spirit. They did lose 4 nil last weekend you know.

It's just that Wolves is a team who really counters Smith's style of play.

We have to go away from our ways in this particular game or we'll lose. I guarantee you.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's just that Wolves is a team who really counters Smith's style of play.

We have to go away from our ways in this particular game or we'll lose. I guarantee you.

Probably need to approach this game like we did against Leicester.  Grind them down and then gradually get on top.  Similar quality sides for me.  Both pacey up top and expect to see the other side (certainly if playing a top half side) have majority possession.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

In the games we've lost the pattern has developed where Villa have much of the ball and get caught on the break.

If we do not learn from this it will be a rather frustrating season.

I can really only remember Welbeck's goal and Bamford's first goal fitting this description.

Our normal away setup is what we need to do for this game, and it will see us stand the best chance of winning. Let them have the ball, but play tight and on the counter attack. If we try to dominate the game and press forward at every opportunity,  with a high line like we do at home we'd be in trouble. Would expect Dean to do our usual away style and feeling good that it will work. Losing Jiminez is a big boost for us, worse for them than us losing Barkley is I think,  just. Predicting a flukey 2-1 win for us.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2020 at 00:38, Kingman said:

If Barkley is out then I would switch Trez to the left to help support Target with the lively Adama, Put Jack behind Olli and Traore on the right. 

I'd go that too but I fear Smith won't and he'll play Hourihane again. We need someone to track back to help Targett against Traore and that won't suit Jack. Play him in the middle slightly ahead of McGinn and Luiz but slotting into a 3 with them when we don't have the ball. 

My team:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz

Traore Grealish Trez

Watkins

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I can really only remember Welbeck's goal and Bamford's first goal fitting this description.

West Ham is a game we dominated and conceded two goals from nothing.

Lapses of concentration and against the run of play overall.

It's frustrating but that's three of the four defeats!

On 07/12/2020 at 19:33, TRO said:

Norwich played some good stuff last season too, until the burden of losing took its toll and by all accounts back to playing well again .....wonder if they will learn anything coming up?

losing football usually has a habit of eventually drifting in to dreadful football, its a trap door that invites you in.

we have to stop losing, even a draw, is something, away from home particularly.....The irony is its the Home form is the achilles heel.

We're 9th in the league. We've beaten Liverpool, Arsenal, Leicester, Fulham and Sheffield Utd. 

This thread is absolute madness.

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I'd go that too but I fear Smith won't and he'll play Hourihane again. We need someone to track back to help Targett against Traore and that won't suit Jack. Play him in the middle slightly ahead of McGinn and Luiz but slotting into a 3 with them when we don't have the ball. 

My team:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz

Traore Grealish Trez

Watkins

I don't like Traore on the wing. He is too one footed.

If we're gonna play Traore play him in the Barkley role

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

West Ham is a game we dominated and conceded two goals from nothing.

Lapses of concentration and against the run of play overall.

It's frustrating but that's three of the four defeats!

Doesn't matter how well you play if you don't defend properly.

If we are telling Mings to mark Ogbonna on the corner it probably isn't a goal.

And the second goal is just a simple cross that our centre backs should be able to deal with. Inexcusable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

We're 9th in the league. We've beaten Liverpool, Arsenal, Leicester, Fulham and Sheffield Utd. 

I think you will find, that originally the debate surrounded, why so many goals have been conceded in contrast to the early exchanges, which was a brilliant start....Those wins were very noble, so whats changed, is the point....its hardly madness to ask a question....is it?

Interpretations of comment being what they are then decended in to a barrage of responses, that alluded to,( to my fault , i tried to answer them all)  I was attempting to "Piss on their chips", which wasn't the intention at all, I was looking for their opinion on why , we have started leaking goals again, like pre lockdown.....Instead, I got comments on why I was wrong to make the observations, I had....that is not debate....debate is offering a stronger opposing point to the contrary, I don't think I got one.

My earlier posts, I was waxing lyrical on the fabulous stuff, we was producing, but that, doesn't fit the narrative, with some.

I find it sad, If we can't have an open debate on why we have gone from conceding 2 goals in 4 games  to 11 goals in 5......Its not a sinister debate, or a negative debate, its just an attempt to get folks views, but some see it as an affront on the whole season, so far.

Its opinions,I guess and we are all entitled to them.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

We've also lost to Brighton, West Ham, Leeds and Southampton, 75% of them at home - 3 of those sides finished bottom half last season and one was promoted. 

Not madness at all. We all want the team to find consistency that's all.