Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

Say it most weeks but first goal in this will be huge. Wolves have an incredible record at winning games they're leading in with about 20 minutes left since coming up in 2018. Ironically Bruceball earlier this season stole a point from 1 down but they very rarely even draw in that situation.

Can remember the VP game being tight and then they scored and we didn't look like forcing an equaliser. However we are stronger in final third since that day and I think they're a fair bit weaker so should balance it.

Interesting what team they put out v us. When they lost Raul they did like for like and put on Fabio Silva but I can see Nuno putting out front 3 of Podence-Adama-Neto to get our back 4 moving around and also midfield three of Neves-Moutinho-Dendoncker. Thoughts @Andy81?

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 10:41, One For The Road said:

Not disappointed with 4 defeats in 5? Ok, maybe my bar was slightly higher.

Didn't expect miracles but beating Arsenal, Liverpool and Leicester, only to lose to Leeds, Southampton, West Ham and Brighton definitely ticks the "starting to feel disappointing" box for me. 

Maybe my bar is more realistic?

Have to approach this like Leicester imo, do that and we should get draw at worst which won't be bad result.

Just flooding forward all the time is asking for trouble. I actually thought Wolves were very decent tonight first half with loads of dangerous breaks....but they lost heart at 2-0 and couldn't get anyone to hold it up upfront at that  point.

Hopefully Barkley is fit as that would be big boost.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Have to approach this like Leicester imo, do that and we should get draw at worst which won't be bad result.

Just flooding forward all the time is asking for trouble. I actually thought Wolves were very decent tonight first half with loads of dangerous breaks....but they lost heart at 2-0 and couldn't get anyone to hold it up upfront at that  point.

Hopefully Barkley is fit as that would be big boost.

Yeah, we need to get back to Leicester type performances, not getting sucked in and pushing too many men forward like we have done recently. I also felt Martinez performance against Spam was below par and he needs to command his area better in this game. Barkley being fit would help an awful lot, when him and Jack are both at it we are a very good side and will cause them endless problems. 

Wolves are best on the counter attack and won't come flooding forward at us even if they are at home, we have to do similar and not go looking too hard for the win or we'll get sucker punched. A point is a decent result even if they don't have Jimenez, we are also capable of winning at our best but I don't want us being overconfident because Wolves are exactly the sort of team to exploit that. 

• Like 1

Just now, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

No Barkley ffs

Big loss. He brings more than just himself to the team.

Still, we've played really well in all the games we've lost and we absolutely pummelled West Ham. We're just conceding worldies and freak goals at the moment.

They've got Jimenez out too. We should still be too strong.

7 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Big loss. He brings more than just himself to the team.

Still, we've played really well in all the games we've lost and we absolutely pummelled West Ham. We're just conceding worldies and freak goals at the moment.

They've got Jimenez out too. We should still be too strong.

I dont know about “too strong” . Wolves are still a very decent side, Podence and Neto have been impressive this season, they also have that kid they dropped £40m on to come in up top. We need another Grealish masterclass to win this I feel. 

• Like 1

Disappointed to have lost Barkley.  I just hope we don't try the same as usual ... Hourihane in to partner Dougie L and push McGinn forward.  I want to see Ramsey get on as a straight replacement for Barkley.  He can't be any less effectual than the above change or Traore in to ACM.

We need the Villa team that beat Liverpool, Leicester and Arsenal to pitch up and not the team that lost to Leeds, Brighton etc..  We need McGinn to be on it - his energy and dynamism will be key against a largely flat and one paced Wolves CM, unless they stick with the 4-3-3 and have three in CM.

I feel, if we get the right Villa, we can beat these comfortably.  If we get the wrong Villa it could be a frustrating game again!

• Like 3

On 06/12/2020 at 08:43, Don_Simon said:

Blimey. What a depressing thread this is so far. 

If we'd lost four out of five playing dreadful football, deservedly losing, with refereeing decision going the right way, I'd understand the doom and gloom. 

However, that's not the case. So we'll go and compete strongly with a very good team. 

Norwich played some good stuff last season too, until the burden of losing took its toll and by all accounts back to playing well again .....wonder if they will learn anything coming up?

losing football usually has a habit of eventually drifting in to dreadful football, its a trap door that invites you in.

we have to stop losing, even a draw, is something, away from home particularly.....The irony is its the Home form is the achilles heel.

Barkley being out is a pain in the arse. If Hourihane plays he’d better do something from a set piece as he doesn’t do anything in game - hopefully Traore, Ramsey or even Nakamba get considered for this one for extra mobility.

Still think we need a result from this to get back on track. Whoever plays instead of Barkley needs to step up and produce for the team.