Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

I can only see another defeat here unfortunately. Can imagine it will be similar to West Ham, we'll be the better side but switch off a couple of times at the back and let them in and then no doubt get shafted by VAR.

• Like 1

We really need to win this. Most frustrating aspect of these latest defeats is the “where we could be now” element, a long with the grinding thought in my head that we have to pick up the points in the games we dominate. Busy festive period coming up will no doubt see us pick up some injuries and suspensions and we might not maintain this level of performance we’re currently seeing. I think on the whole we’ve been brilliant and its great to see a Villa side so enjoyable to watch again who can create countless chances.

Wolves keep impressing, gone about their business quietly this season, will be a tough game but one we can get a result if we’re at our best. Hopefully Barkley will be ready. No Jimenez for them. Need to get back on track, dread to think where we’ll be in the table before this kicks off.

• Like 1

Their attack without Jimenez looks a bit blunt. On top of that, I think we'll cause them all sorts of problems after an extra weeks rest.

I'm really only worried about the problems Traore caused us in the away match last year, although 95% of it was after Targett got banged on the head and subbed off.

One positive is that a lot of the threat down that side was from Doherty last season but hopefully Semedo will be too preoccupied with Grealish to do anything similar.

• Like 1

If our defence can be on it we should do OK. In a way having Jimenez injured makes them more unpredictable because it forces them to use Traore along with Neto and Podence and they may stay 4 at the back. We have enough to win it but we need to cut out the brain fades and take our chances.

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Wolves is the one team you don't wanna go gung ho.

I actually think, if they play 4 at the back like they have the last couple of games, then it will play into our hands.

Missing Jimenez too will be massive for them. I think we have a great chance in this with everyone fully rested.

21 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Another weekend without a Villa game followed by a royal shafting at Wolves.

3-1 to them. Its all feeling rather disappointing all of a sudden isnt it?

No

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, smg said:

No

Not disappointed with 4 defeats in 5? Ok, maybe my bar was slightly higher.

Didn't expect miracles but beating Arsenal, Liverpool and Leicester, only to lose to Leeds, Southampton, West Ham and Brighton definitely ticks the "starting to feel disappointing" box for me. 

• Like 3

Tricky one.

Going on last season's two games we don't really match up against them at all well but the VP one was still relatively tight and we have more attacking quality now, hopefully Barkley is fit for this as think he'll make big difference given they play just two CMs normally.

Will go for the 1-1 we probably should've got at least at West Ham. Would say Jimenez out is a boost but Wolves played very well at Arsenal after he went off and were still solid defensively.

Point would be fine to stop the losing run then hopefully we can win two out of Burnley, West Brom and Palace to get back in top half as we'll very likely be 11th in a few hours.

7 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Not disappointed with 4 defeats in 5? Ok, maybe my bar was slightly higher.

Didn't expect miracles but beating Arsenal, Liverpool and Leicester, only to lose to Leeds, Southampton, West Ham and Brighton definitely ticks the "starting to feel disappointing" box for me. 

Totally agree.

• Like 1

Wolves without Jimenez will have an impact, we are good enough to get at least a draw if we defend properly but we keep saying this every week and they don’t defend properly again and VAR then proceeds to bite us on the rear.

If we lose I will start to get frustrated with this team because 5 defeats in 6 in what is not even a tough set of fixtures is nowhere near good enough.

I think we will probably defeat ourselves as much as anything, if this game had have come earlier in the season we would have had a chance, but now that the disaster of losing four out of five has cast it's horrible shadow over our confidence a win seems very unlikely. We need to try and get a win or two from somewhere just to get us going again.