Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

West Ham is a game we dominated and conceded two goals from nothing.

Lapses of concentration and against the run of play overall.

It's frustrating but that's three of the four defeats!

One of those goals were from a corner. The second I'd hardly class as a counterattack. 

TBF the West Ham first was so early we were pretty much one down from kick off so of course in that situation you're not just going to sit back.

I look at how we approached it at Molineux last season, we simply made it too easy for Wolves to fly past us although we didn't have Jack that day which was a huge blow. VP game was more cat and mouse although we struggled to create many clear chances that day.

It's undoubtedly a good time to play them. They've no-one up front and they've changed their shape at the back. It's a pity Barkley misses out. We are overdue a win because we're letting our good start slip away. Yes we have games in hand but they're no good if you lose them and one of them is away to Man City. We need something from this.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

TBF the West Ham first was so early we were pretty much one down from kick off so of course in that situation you're not just going to sit back.

But we seem to create that situation. For whatever reason we seem to need a kick in the hole to get up to speed. If that kick in the hole is conceding a goal then it's our fault. We were very good against West Ham once we were motivated to wake up. He needs to find a way to get that Aston Villa on the pitch from the first whistle.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

4 -0 Villa. Maybe more. Wolves are going to be taught a lesson.

Made me think of that game under O'Leary when Angel scored a brilliant goal and we generally took the p*** as they had a poor team in those days.

One of my favourite away games was the Robbie Keane one when we were losing and he scored two fantastic goals in 10 minutes to win it for us. Think Heskey scored a late winner the previous season.

You know we're good again when we stop losing to Wolves and lesser extent West Brom as we went ages without that happening when I was growing up and we didn't even have that great season e.g. 2005/06.

Now I look and we haven't won at Molineux since 2012 and West Brom incredibly since 2008. That needs to change in 10 days time given how poor they are.

• Like 2

On 06/12/2020 at 23:04, smg said:

Maybe my bar is more realistic?

So you are honestly saying that i was being unrealistic for expecting more than 3 points from:

Leeds H, Southampton H, Arsenal A, Brighton H, West Ham A?

You are saying that you expected 3 points or less from those fixtures?

I expected a meagre 5 points from those games and you are saying that was unrealistic? That 3 points was the maximum one could "realistically" expect?

I'd be amazed if you genuinely think that tbh.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BOF said:

But we seem to create that situation. For whatever reason we seem to need a kick in the hole to get up to speed. If that kick in the hole is conceding a goal then it's our fault. We were very good against West Ham once we were motivated to wake up. He needs to find a way to get that Aston Villa on the pitch from the first whistle.

We had won and dominated every away game up until West Ham. We were on it from the first whistle in all those games. And we hadn't conceded an away goal until West Ham. So I don't quite get your point about us not being up to speed with our opponents. The Southampton game, you could say we were a bit late to the party, but to say our focus isn't there from the off, for me, is a tad unkind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

We had won and dominated every away game up until West Ham. We were on it from the first whistle in all those games. And we hadn't conceded an away goal until West Ham. So I don't quite get your point about us not being up to speed with our opponents. The Southampton game, you could say we were a bit late to the party, but to say our focus isn't there from the off, for me, is a tad unkind. 

Fair point. You're not wrong. That West Ham defeat is the single most genuinely infuriating defeat I've witnessed in donkey's years and I have probably let my hyperbole run away with myself. I hope the Wolves game can reset everything 😁

• Like 3

Back in the day we always beat this lot. I remember one game at Villa Park we went in at half- time, 2-0 down, only to put three past them in front a packed,seething Holte End in a spellbinding second half. You never forget those ones.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PaddytheVillan said:

The game is on Saturday. With the goals we are conceding I can't see past a comfortable Wolves win, desperately hope I'm wrong. 

Half the goals we've conceded in the last 5 games have been worldies. We've conceded relatively few good goalscoring chances really and the man who scores all of Wolves' goals is out indefinitely

• Like 1

I’d be more confident if Barkley was fit, but I still believe we can beat Wolves. We’ve beaten Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester which tells me it’s possible. Just need to cut out the silly mistakes and take our chances, we will create plenty of them.