I have a green idea could it work?

colhint

15 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

For what it’s worth, hypothetically, if I was ordering something and after I typed in the delivery address it came up with 

“You can receive your order in two days, however we’re scheduled to deliver other goods in or near your postcode in five days time, would you like help the environment a bit and receive them then instead?”

or words to that effect, more often than not I’d select to receive my order later. 

I’m sure there are reasons why that’s difficult and impractical but anyway, it would be a feature I’d be ok with using.

This is actually a good idea.

It also benefits from being quantifiable too.  You could say "1000 delayed their deliveries and as a result we have saved XXX" could be tonnes of CO2 or something. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

A problem: Plastic toothbrushes. Trillions and trillions of them in landfills and oceans.

A (partial) solution: Toothbrushes with replacement heads, like razors. 

I use a wooden toothbrush with recycled plastic for the bushes themselves. They aren’t adopted widely but are becoming easier to buy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

A problem: Plastic toothbrushes. Trillions and trillions of them in landfills and oceans.

You just described an electric toothbrush

• Haha 1

I'm sure at one point Amazon had a feature where you could choose to receive your delivery later and you would receive £1 back into your Amazon account.

I'm guessing they pulled this when lockdown hit and people started having daily deliveries of useless stuff.

I actually think the initial idea of this thread was good. Maybe a weekly or monthly drop, a bit like how the bin disposal works. A postcode has a day of the week that deliveries are made on to help the environment. However they still have a daily delivery for urgent items.

I know I buy items that I wouldn't mind waiting for. The problem is now that the Prime service is out there with next day delivery, the world expects it for everything.

3 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I actually think the initial idea of this thread was good. Maybe a weekly or monthly drop, a bit like how the bin disposal works. A postcode has a day of the week that deliveries are made on to help the environment. However they still have a daily delivery for urgent items.

I know I buy items that I wouldn't mind waiting for. The problem is now that the Prime service is out there with next day delivery, the world expects it for everything.

It is but the biggest hurdle is that there are multiple courier companies. With bins, its just the one service for your area managed by the council. Online deliveries, its different couriers for each company you order from. You could have Prime, DPD, Royal Mail, Yodel, Hermes, TNT, DHL, UPS, FedEx, etc, doing deliveries. 

• 3 years later...
On 28/11/2020 at 05:13, maqroll said:

I dunno about the razors. Why not just have replacement heads made of brushes? weirdo.

We're only talking about the very last bit of the delivery here aren't we? The bit from the yard in Smethwick to your door.

I bought some trainers a little while back on Amazon, they came from the south of Spain, went to Dover, went from Dover to a big warehouse in the South, then from there to a smaller warehouse in Smethwick, then in a little van to my house. Making stuff nearer to where we live would be great for the planet - if only those pesky labour laws wouldn't make it so difficult for well meaning multinationals.

Alternatively, how about arranging sort of hubs somewhere where a lot of these goods could be collected at the same time, we could then travel to these hubs ourselves and pick up a lot of our packages in one go, that would be better for the environment than having them delivered individually - we could call it shopping.

Failing that, what @chrisp65 said - let's buy less shit..

On 26/11/2020 at 00:00, sidcow said:

I've been thinking about how my loft space is absolutely baking hot like an oven all summer long.  The heat in there ought to be easily enough to heat the house throughout the winter. 

There surely ought to be some way to capture and store all that heat, or use it to generate electricity? 

I doubt it ... the energy content of the air in your loft is about 0.5 kWh.  ... assuming your loft volume is 100 m3 and there is a 20 C differential that is attainable. The unknown is at what rate does the loft heat up? Assuming it could heat up from 20 C to 40 C every day. Half a kilowatt hour is not going to cut it. Might make sense to have a fan and a heat exchanger to preheat the cold water going into the hot water tank. But the costs are probably not worth it.

As to the original topic ...  only makes sense if the delivery van is leaving the depot partially full.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Failing that, what @chrisp65 said - let's buy less shit..

Yep. 

People seem to be addicted to buying any old tat from Amazon. 

47 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yep. 

People seem to be addicted to buying any old tat from Amazon. 

And now there's Temu. 

On 28/11/2020 at 07:34, Seat68 said:

I use a wooden toothbrush with recycled plastic for the bushes themselves. They aren’t adopted widely but are becoming easier to buy. 

I have wooden teeth 

• Like 1

Â