Penalties

One For The Road

In light of yesterday's appaling decision, I've got a question about the apparent lack of spot kicks awarded to us in recent times.

Considering we have a player who, "goes down easily" and "buys free kicks", how come we never seem to get penalties?

This season is seeing a record breaking amount of pens given for all sorts of misdemeanours, and yet we seem to have failed to get the memo.

Is there an actual tactical reason why we aren't getting them (such as players being told not to go to ground) or is it just coincidence?

Its not as if we don't get into the opposition box often enough and we get plenty of free kicks in other areas so what the hell is going on?

Am I missing something or is this anomaly down to something more sinister?

Bit early in the season to say. According to Transfermarkt there is still 4 clubs who've not been awarded a penalty yet and we are among the 5 clubs that's been awarded 1. Only Leicester stick out.

Not sure how updated it is thou.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/topErhalteneElfmeter/wettbewerb/GB1

# Club Penalties received Scored Missed Goal rate
1 Leicester City Leicester City 8 7 1 87.5 %
2 Manchester United Manchester United 4 3 1 75.0 %
3 FC Chelsea Chelsea FC 4 3 1 75.0 %
4 FC Liverpool Liverpool FC 4 4 0 100.0 %
5 FC Fulham Fulham FC 3 1 2 33.3 %
6 Sheffield United Sheffield United 3 2 1 66.7 %
7 Newcastle United Newcastle United 3 3 0 100.0 %
8 Manchester City Manchester City 2 1 1 50.0 %
9 Crystal Palace Crystal Palace 2 2 0 100.0 %
10 Brighton & Hove Albion Brighton & Hove Albion 2 2 0 100.0 %
11 Tottenham Hotspur Tottenham Hotspur 2 2 0 100.0 %
12 Aston Villa Aston Villa 1 1 0 100.0 %
13 Leeds United Leeds United 1 1 0 100.0 %
14 FC Arsenal Arsenal FC 1 1 0 100.0 %
15 FC Everton Everton FC 1 1 0 100.0 %
16 FC Southampton Southampton FC 1 1 0

100.0 %

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Bit early in the season to say. According to Transfermarkt there is still 4 clubs who've not been awarded a penalty yet and we are among the 5 clubs that's been awarded 1. Only Leicester stick out.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/topErhalteneElfmeter/wettbewerb/GB1

100.0 %

Interesting stats but there's more to it than meets the eye. We have a player who wins more fouls than any player in Premier League history, we break at pace (against the top clubs), and we are an attacking side that scores a decent amount of goals.

It seems to me that given all the above, we should be getting more penalties. I don't have the stats but I'd be willing to bet we are far higher on the free kicks awarded table than the penalties won table?

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Interesting stats but there's more to it than meets the eye. We have a player who wins more fouls than any player in Premier League history, we break at pace (against the top clubs), and we are an attacking side that scores a decent amount of goals.

It seems to me that given all the above, we should be getting more penalties. I don't have the stats but I'd be willing to bet we are far higher on the free kicks awarded table than the penalties won table?

Yeah stats never tell the whole story, but I'd imagine that Grealish is mainly fouled higher up the pitch and that we as a team don't spend that much time in the opposing box compared to other top half teams. Penalties are mostly bought by pace ( the handball rule obviously a massive thing as well) and we are not the fasted team around.

To be fair, other than the shout yesterday and the one given a few weeks back, I can't recall many other strong claims we might have had. And, despite the comments of many supporters from other clubs (e.g., have a look at the comment section on the BBC write-up from our game yesterday), we aren't a dirty team. If we (hypothetically only!!) had a Bamford or a Bruno or a Maupay and still weren't getting any pens, then maybe there would be something there. And no, you don't need to remind me about Bruno stamping on Konsa to win a penalty...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

That table saying Fulham scored 1. I make it they missed all 3

They've definitely scored one. Mitro got one in the first or second game (he was in my FPL team so I remember!)

I think they've scored 1 and missed 3. My guess is that table is a week out of date

We are a bit unlucky with the reviews imo. Not just Saturday which could've gone either way. I can also remember El Ghazi being taken down v Sheffield united and that didn't go to a check and then was overshadowed by the "goal" 10 minutes later.

Also v Spurs home game I can remember again AEG getting a cross in and Sanchez from 5-6 yards away sticking his hand out and blocking the cross but again nothing was given and then Spurs got their penalty from VAR check later on in that half.

We probably would've got double the penalties in seasons when Young and Gabby were running at defenders with VAR in play so Barry would've been scoring 15 a season for us.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I recon Hourihane would be quite good at pens.

His shooting is pretty accurate. Then again he barely ever plays

Have to agree when he's on he should take them should have took the one against West ham but was subbed right then so obviously not the designated penalty taker

On 22/11/2020 at 07:59, sne said:

100.0 %

How've Leicester been awarded that bloody many, Officials having back handers by any chance lol

16 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

How've Leicester been awarded that bloody many, Officials having back handers by any chance lol

It's really the only reason they're so high up in the table. They create the least chances in the league if you can believe that.

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's really the only reason they're so high up in the table. They create the least chances in the league if you can believe that.

the shield wrestling GIF by WWE

12 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I think the main reason is because Man City pressed the self destruct button when they played them.

Vardy, Barnes etc running onto balls played into the penalty area, we don’t do that. Defenders also know not to tackle Grealish for obvious reasons, they just try to block his shot/lay off instead.

Â