Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/11/20 at 23:59

Thought it was a definite penalty in my view but our defending for the two goals was abysmal. Schoolboy defending for the first, 10 yards into their half and acres of space behind to knock any sort of ball into  and the second was our old fatal trick of not defending the D line area. People call them wonder goals, but in fact they are free shot's at goal which we deal out far to easily. We need a defensive brain in there to organise these players and cut out our problems in defence. 

• Like 2

For the amount of chances we had that game could of easily been a 6 to 9-4 bashing, we just couldn't put them away. We played them off the park really and Brighton did have some chances around half of what we had.. Then theres the corners, we had an awful amount of Corners that we should be having a better success rate than that.

While I think were dangerous I still think our players are still growing into there roles and have not fully settled yet.

20201122_111549.jpg

• Like 1

I’m actually strangely encouraged after yesterday.

I thought we would play worse, as it was we were largely the dominant team and it was like the Alamo for the last 15 minutes. We should have scored two or three, defensive lapses were worrying but I think we can all see by now this season will be up and down, whereas last season was largely down so for me there is clear progress.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Also, what's the rules on throw ins? Not excusing the awful defending but Brighton took up a lot of additional ground from where the ball initially went out of play.

How can the ref miss that. why doesn't var check it, it checks everything else. 

We performed OK, on balance I would say comfortably the better. Any of our chances could have gone in on another day. We were not over run in midfield and posed a more serious threat all game which is the notable difference to last season - we are developing and no newbie mugs any longer.

The dissapointment is the bad luck and the fact that we could have gone second with a win or consolidated a decent start in the upper regions of the table, but we are finding our true position as the season unfolds, we could still see ourselves in the top 5 by the end of December if we tighten up and stay injury free. I feel we are going to get better, we are a work in progress, and Barkley does add that X-factor to our attacking third, lets hope he is back quickly.

Really warming to Watkins, he has a lovely touch and works his socks off, but as a unit our forwards are just not quite clicking like they should, we have been like that all the time we have been back in the PL. 

I thought Luiz was a little innefective and dont fear that MC will trigger his buy back, I just dont think we gets much game time there, and wouldnt be surprised if Guardiola left.

We are in a good place, especially with the January window not far away, which will help but beds in someone for next season when I think we will kick on meaningfully..

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

Should have taken something from the game as there was enough chances to do so but poor finishing and defensive laspes meant that Brighton took all the points.

Still feel Villa are a little lightweight in the middle of the park with teams playing through Villa too easily. The balance isn’t right with both Luiz and McGinn playing. Villa should be looking to spend most of their budget in January on a more physical combative midfielder to play alongside one of Luiz or McGinn.

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

It was never a bad performance, we just weren’t great as I say.  We seemed too desperate in our approach, especially in the second half.  Far too reliant on Grealish again, which highlighted the need for Barkley to be on the pitch.

As an aside, I did think the pitch cut up quickly and didn’t look in the best of condition, especially when you think it’s had so little use. Perhaps I’m being harsh here though. 

grass looked a bit long to me 

26 minutes ago, thunderball said:

We performed OK, on balance I would say comfortably the better. Any of our chances could have gone in on another day. We were not over run in midfield and posed a more serious threat all game which is the notable difference to last season - we are developing and no newbie mugs any longer.

The dissapointment is the bad luck and the fact that we could have gone second with a win or consolidated a decent start in the upper regions of the table, but we are finding our true position as the season unfolds, we could still see ourselves in the top 5 by the end of December if we tighten up and stay injury free. I feel we are going to get better, we are a work in progress, and Barkley does add that X-factor to our attacking third, lets hope he is back quickly.

Really warming to Watkins, he has a lovely touch and works his socks off, but as a unit our forwards are just not quite clicking like they should, we have been like that all the time we have been back in the PL. 

I thought Luiz was a little innefective and dont fear that MC will trigger his buy back, I just dont think we gets much game time there, and wouldnt be surprised if Guardiola left.

We are in a good place, especially with the January window not far away, which will help but beds in someone for next season when I think we will kick on meaningfully..

Agreed that Luiz wasn't his usual self but I think he can be forgiven coming back from a busy international break in South America. I think McGinn also was half a yard off the pace and wasn't really able to take hold of the game. That meant one of Mings or Konsa had to come out from the back line to win the ball, which left so much space in behind us that Welbeck had the pace to exploit.

I do feel tactically Graham Potter had our number and, while results have been really good against better teams, it seems we only have one way of playing. Obviously a counter attacking style worked wonders against high-pressing teams like Liverpool, but for counter-attacking sides like Brighton it didn't quite suit the game.

It's something to learn from again just like the past 2 home games but I don't think it's a cause for concern. Certainly at the stage we are at in our progression to an established PL side again, it is still early days and like you say we are going to get better. I'm sure we will definitely make progress from last year and that is a good step in the right direction, even if we do lose games like yesterday in a disappointing manner.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, samjp26 said:

If Trez didn't dive like a fish he would have got the pen IMO. The dive following the foul worked against him because he made it look so much worse than it was, even though it WAS a foul. Regardless it should have been given, but the theatrics worked in their favour not ours.

that is a fair comment......but the other side of the coin is, if you take it like a man, the ref ignores it.....The technology has to be removed from out field play, and go back to the refs initial decision is final.

The intention of using technology to get better decisions, is not working....or is as nebulous as it was before.

goal line technology and thats it for me.

Edited by TRO

22 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

It pains me to say it but this is how I viewed it as well. But I could be wrong. Always assumed ball contact negated any form of foul.

I think many of us did.....but there have been umpteen decisions where that has not been the case.....many have been outside the box, where the decision has lacked importance, those are easy to give and have less impact on the final result.

but you can't have a rule outside the box and when a crucial impact is on the line change the interpretation, inside the box.

There have been so many cards given out for players touching the ball first, but clattering the player and its deemed as violent play......the recent incident with KDB and Declan Rice is a case in hand....declan touched the ball first, but still conceded the free kick.

What is more violent than kicking a players shin, its not even close to the ankle that represents a challenge, the ball is not half way up your leg.......and to attempt to be judge and jury on the amount of pressure from the foul, is ludicrous.....how the hell do we know how much that kick hurt him.

The interpretation of the rules are being applied differently depending on factors that relate to the consequence of the decsision.....that has to stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Voted for Doug by mistake, poor show today. VAR or not we didn't deserve to get anything. Ross is going to be a big loss, what a difference he has made   

I said before the game....Luiz and McGinn was crucial to us having a favourable result.

22 hours ago, richp999 said:

I didn't think 'getting the ball' was a thing anymore. It was a foul. 

If it was in our box, you can guarantee it would have been a Penalty. 

nailed on.

• Like 1

M

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

What is more violent than kicking a players shin, its not even close to the ankle that represents a challenge, the ball is not half way up your leg.......and to attempt to be judge and jury on the amount of pressure from the foul, is ludicrous.....how the hell do we know how much that kick hurt him

Yep. Smith said they the contact in the stadium. People are using a slow motion replay to say he was hardly touched. Its absurd. 

22 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Not bothered about the penalty.

We didn't deserve anything for that performance.  Never looked up for it until it was too late.

Smith really struggles to motivate the team against lower league teams for some reason.

Very frustrating.

Its clear to me ..teams that fancy their chances of going toe to toe give you space.

Teams that don't fancy their chances close you down , get first to every ball, block our attempts to play, throw their bodies at shots in the box and get their foot in much earlier than us......In short they work much physically harder.

We in contrast stand off, waiting for the roy of the rovers pass.....In short, we lose control of the game.

I wish I could say it was a one off, but its not.....sure the Internationals may have contributed and the energy tank was on empty, with many of our players.....but I have seen it all before.

WE should have come out as a tight unit and MADE them play in front of us.....and then caught them on the counter.

We have not got the players to dominate possession, despite our encouraging start, we need to understand, what we are and play accordingly......this is just naive drivel.

• Thanks 1

They had the advantage of being fresh but despite that their first goal should never had stood and March will never score a goal like that with his wrong foot ever again. I know they had other chances but so did we and I believe the once given the pen should have stood and I;d have been happy with 2-2.  I thought we were too slow and ponderous in our build up play. The balls didnt come into the box quick enough to give watkins a chance. This only seemed to happen when El Ghazi came on. 

23 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Had a feeling we wouldn't get a result when I saw traore was playing.

Apparently he is rapid and works hard for the team ?

Seems smith had enough of his rapid pace and team work and took him off ?

Played ok, broke down several times due to slow movement or no movement from traore and that pushed watkins out of position.

Should not be a starter or 5 minute sub at this stage looks unfit and needs to step up 1 or 2 levels before being considered for anything more than 10 to 15 minutes at the end of the game.

Would have preferred the energy of Jordan Ramsey would would have kept pressing and stuck his foot in.

3 points dropped today by poor substitute.

I felt the game plan was wrong and the attitude towards the opposition was wrong.....many of the players were off colour too, maybe victim of our own success, playing internationals.

i still think we need to look at this broader, when we come to make additional signings in Jan.

I don't think losing Barkley was as significant as some think.

I said before the game Luiz and McGinn will be crucial and I have no reason to have changed my mind.

• Like 1

Â