Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/11/20 at 23:59

20 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Even though we won this fixture last year and lost this year, we are clearly a much better team now.   We looked like a good team with several players who had off days and still lost only because of a couple of horrible errors, some poor finishing and some bad luck.   Last year we were lucky to win at the death despite struggling all game.

7 different starters from last season fixture and all considerably better

Was anyone else surprised that they didn't show any replays of the ball their keeper cleared off the line?   I thought it looked at least partway over the line.   I realize they don't review them unless the goal line technology beeps, but they usually show the overhead shot when it's halfway close.  Nobody seemed to even acknowledge that it was close.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/extended-highlights-aston-villa-1-brighton-2

Having seen the key incidents at the end, I thought Lamptey was unlucky, Trezeguet should maybe have seen red for the elbow and it's definitely a penalty.

Lamptey is quality, regardless of the card(s).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, eholm said:

Result aside.....we are being punished with some fantastic finishes from opposition players in our defeats; again, March’s today was superb.  

He could hit that ball another 100 times and not connect with it like he did.

Really frustrating. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Was anyone else surprised that they didn't show any replays of the ball their keeper cleared off the line?   I thought it looked at least partway over the line.   I realize they don't review them unless the goal line technology beeps, but they usually show the overhead shot when it's halfway close.  Nobody seemed to even acknowledge that it was close.

Or the fact that it was an absolute sitter missed by Watkins. 

Today and especially the final 30 minutes, reminded me so much of last season.  Give it to Grealish and pray he can do something.  Disappointing to see.

Barkley going off was a shame, as our midfield needed him today.  Luiz and McGinn in particular looked jaded.  It’s early days with Bert and he probably is not match fit in the slightest but I’m a little worried about how he can influence games for us?  I don’t see a real turn of pace or that trick that’ll win us games. The improvement in Trez this season gives me hope though that Bert can do the same once he gets a regular run of games in him.

The problem with today is our bench and overall squad is woefully weak.  If our first eleven aren't at it, we have very little else and it will cost us games.   

Konsa MOTM for me today.  Just hope the 8/9 days rest and work done in training will mean we’ll see a better performance at West Ham. 

PS - anyone else think the pitch seemed to cut up quickly today and didn’t look in the best of condition?  Nothing that would have affected the performance or result but just an observation. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

I get the high line today, as brighton are a team who prefer build up play and aren't likely to catch us quick break

But ffs at least mark the striker when your holding the line, and even if you dont mark him get everyone level so he will be off side

I've got too much going on the even get angry at the moment, it's just such a villa thing to do results like today

I read a stat at half time that said we have won 1 game out the last 58 home games we have gone in at half time losing, at that was the 2-1 win against watford last season

1 put of 58 after going behind before half time. That's **** dreadful 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, villa_shere said:

I think there’s more to it. we are playing more expansive than the close of last season because we had the three wins in a row at the start of the season. 

so we’ve almost gone full circle and playing like the start of last season and trying to win every game. If our patch of loses continues I’d expect us to shit up shop for a few games as we did end of last season

I agree and hope you are right about shutting up shop. I certainly think the 7-2 has gone to their heads a bit but we can’t play every game like that.

I didn’t see much evidence today of a gameplan, how we deal with Lamptey, Maupay, Welbeck, and we paid the price. We did seem to have more of a plan against Arsenal.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’ve just rewatched the pen decision and it just isn’t a pen and probably is a clear an obvious error. He does win the ball, he then barely touches trez who goes down like a sack of spuds. Just not a penalty.

Trezeguet was certainly impressive in his  going to ground - great performance! I wonder if the acrobatics had any role in reversing the decision? He certainly seemed to be exaggerating the effect of any contact. There was some contact however, I thought it was marginal, could go either way. Being Villa vs VAR of course it went both ways!

Few hours on...

It’s a pen for me. You can see why people would say otherwise with the ricochet on the ball which fits a ‘he gets the ball’ narrative BUT it’s not a clear and obvious error to give the pen initially as it’s definitely a foul - so shouldn’t have been overturned.

Brighton did well to shut us down at 2-1 after a great goal from March. Before that, I thought we’d go on to win fairly comfortably. We paid the price for too many missed chances, I’m looking at you Trez and you Ollie.

We looked very good in snatches but it didn’t fully click today up front. Frustrating but maybe a down to earth moment for some of them? Let’s come back strong after a rest next Monday. Voted Konsa MOTM marginally ahead of Trez as he took his chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I’ve just rewatched the pen decision and it just isn’t a pen and probably is a clear an obvious error. He does win the ball, he then barely touches trez who goes down like a sack of spuds. Just not a penalty.

He doesnt 'get the ball'

Trez flicks it, it hits March's shin incidentally, Trez would still have possession and then March follows through and takes him out. It's absolutely stonewall. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Are we watching the same incident? Show me where he won the ball?

The only contact with the ball that March had was when Trez flicked the ball onto him.

Â