Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/11/20 at 23:59

23 hours ago, MCU said:

Go and beat Arsenal as comfortable as we did then lose to Brighton who really aren't anything special. The whole season is going to be like this.

I think you are right.....unless we bring in players, who have other ideas.

23 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Trezeguet was **** shite, I can't believe he's winning the MotM vote. There'd be a player there if he wore his boots on the right feet. His atrocious finishing cost us the game. 

and our atrocious defending made a major contribution.

We missed some howlers granted......but it could have been another Southampton score at half time, thanks to Emi's sweeper brain, it wasn't.

On 21/11/2020 at 17:10, AVTuco said:

We learned today how important Barkley is to us.

We also got confirmation Mings and Konsa are not a good CB duo. 

With Jack's terrible play and attitude today, things don't look so bright all of a sudden.

I don't believe that to be true, in the sense of the main factor.....he is important to us, but I still think we would have lost.....i.e Leeds and Southampton, where he played, didn't make much difference.....its a team thing, too many off colour and too open from the off.

I have seen these traits before  in us.....it was a team malfunction rather than individuals.

any chances we had they just threw bodies in the way to block, we never really opened them up.....our work was hurried and rushed, by virtue of the way they played, we have seen this before, its nothing new.

.....and we will see it again, from teams who want to play us like that......we seem to have no answer, to teams that go after us.

The game plan was wrong.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, The_Steve said:

It's amazing how many journos and pundits are arguing it wasn't a pen. They know nothing. It's embarassing.

because the rules and their interpretations are so ambiguous......as an analogy "in an effort to get to the truth, we have created more lies"

we need to go back to the status quo, with goal line tech as the only aid......and that is not fool proof as we can testify.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I had to log off. The stupidity is astounding. March knows he **** up also!! It's crazy.

of course he did....his hands up was a natural reaction to a **** up.

23 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Funny how VAR looked at every angle until they found one they liked... And coincidentally was the only angle that they let the referee have a look at before he changed his mind. 

Wonder what the outcome would have been if this happened to Liverpool? Official investigation perhaps, leading to a referee change for their next game?

welcome to the new game of 3 referee's.

you have to get 2 out of 3 to like you now.

Edited by TRO
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Do you really think what the Brighton player did was at all comparable to these situations?

No one's saying that getting the ball doesn't mean it can't be a foul(or if they are, they're dumb). The problem is whether its considered careless or reckless enough. Can you look me straight in the eye and tell me what the Brighton player did was anywhere near as careless or reckless like the two footed, studs up, out of control lunges and american football tackle you've given above?

thats one extreme to the other......so are we to say we now, we sit in judgement to declare how violent a kick on the shin is v how slight it was, this is getting extremely subjective.

I can for sure say that if we had got away with that, we would consider ourselves very lucky......I don't think for one minute, we would get away with that in our box....it wasn't even a tackle, he kicked his shin.

19 hours ago, MaVilla said:

that first goal brighton scored tho, our closest defensive player (to our goal), was 10ft inside THEIR half.......shocking tbh.

probably much more significant to ponder, than the penalty......very disappointing that.

19 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Not really sure how 38% can think Trezeguet was MOTM? He missed so many cast iron chances it was an embarrassment.

I think it depends what folk look for Briny......I think his overall work rate, probably influenced them....and his ability on the day to come out of flying boots and chopping down, with the ball.

we had some great chances but they threw the kitchen sink and their blocks too, that can unnerve players and put them off their game.....not making excuses for lack of composure, but it sometimes works, for them it did.

20 hours ago, briny_ear said:

P‘raps just confirms this xG thing is a bit of an irrelevance?

I don't know, we created easily twice as many chances as them from what I saw. Defensive mistake and a wonder hit off the lad's swinger and they got 2 goals, us only getting 1 from everything we created was crazy. Did enough to win it, even wasting all the chances we did we got robbed of a point. We'll play worse than that and win this season I reckon.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Yeah, looked it when i slowed it down. Why no Official hawkeye images were relayed back to the viewer ill never know. Everything seemed to go against us again yesterday. Frustrating afternoon. Keep your 3pm saturday kick offs

Yeah it's very annoying why in earth do they check decisions against us for everything yet when we need it there is nothing.

Almost as if theres something fishy going on.

8 hours ago, The_Steve said:

F*** the media.

Compare and contrast

What is the real farce is there is a foul committed on our player yet the ref stops play to award the penalty, he then goes to check it again and takes the penalty away and awards Brighton with a free kick.

WHAT- award a free kick to opposition for getting took down are you having a **** laugh there referee. Trezegeut did nothing wrong but try to go round a player in the box, was brought down and the final outcome is to give the opposition a free kick, how does that make bloody sense.

Yeah I'm still pissed at this.

Then we have a perfectly good goal not even looked at and screwed there.

Barkley taken out and gone off injured, hopefully not to bad but a card should of been give over that.

Maupay as much as I wanted him at villa last season has pissed me off because he wound Luiz up something rotten and should of been give a card for that.

There players were walking tight ropes all night and the officiating was so lousy that the referee only decided to do something at the end.

Footballs becoming a big joke because of all this rubbish, they need to sort it because I can't stand much more of it as it's not even fun when it's like this.

The bad refereeing, officiating and awfull Hawkeye, var has made the game more political and debatable than I ever thought and imagined it would ever get and I can't stand it I'm afraid.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't believe that to be true, in the sense of the main factor.....he is important to us, but I still think we would have lost.....i.e Leeds and Southampton, where he played.

I have seen these traits before  in us.....it was a team malfunction rather than individuals.

any chances we had they just threw bodies in the way to block, we never really opened them up.....our work was hurried and rushed, by virtue of the way they played, we have seen this before, its nothing new.

.....and we will see it again, from teams who want to play us like that......we seem to have no answer, to teams that go after us.

The game plan was wrong.

I think Jack had his poorest game, which was not a surprise, taking into account his interbational duties. He really needed Ross to cover for him and make things happen. Ross wasn't there, so it was Trez who stood up.

Without Ross, we're back to a one man team.

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I think Jack had his poorest game, which was not a surprise, taking into account his interbational duties. He really needed Ross to cover for him and make things happen. Ross wasn't there, so it was Trez who stood up.

Without Ross, we're back to a one man team.

I don't disagree......but the team were too passive, they lacked aggression, particularly in midfield.

The first Brighton goal, was unbelieveable in terms of organisation, quite remarkable......and its not the first time..what do we learn?

our lack of consistency is an issue....home form is a real problem.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

I don't know, we created easily twice as many chances as them from what I saw. Defensive mistake and a wonder hit off the lad's swinger and they got 2 goals, us only getting 1 from everything we created was crazy. Did enough to win it, even wasting all the chances we did we got robbed of a point. We'll play worse than that and win this season I reckon.

But we seem to have many teams create worldies against us, there is a pattern, its a trend.....it happens more if you give teams space and fail to close down or disrupt, by getting closer to your man....too many ball watching off the ball.

I have just heard Parker describe Fulham doing the same thing.....we have yo recognise our shortfalls in order to address them.

We are a fine side at times, but when we are not "at it" we can look very sloppy.

we have some way to go, in terms of getting more consistency, at present its peak and trough football....win one lose one.

The things we have missing at times like yesterday, is basic organisation.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 21/11/2020 at 20:02, eholm said:

Result aside.....we are being punished with some fantastic finishes from opposition players in our defeats; again, March’s today was superb.  

It was.....but when you don't close down the space better than we do......these type of finishes are more likely.....

when you watch other teams games, where they close down and disrupt, by getting physically closer to their man, they block shots far better....these type of goals are so much harder to come by, if you pick the players up.

in certain games, we are far too easy to play against....the first goal by welbeck was a joke.

• Like 2

On 21/11/2020 at 20:08, HKP90 said:

Lamptey is quality, regardless of the card(s).

Another player like jack harrison given the freedom of Villa park.....he is good player, but we have to get tighter on these wide players.

Former PL ref Mark Halsey just on talksport going mad saying it was 100% a penalty. VAR shouldnt have even got involved, and even after it had it is still a penalty. Feels as soon as they refer it to the referee it puts doubt and pressure on them to reverse their decision before they even look at the images. I thought Michael Oliver was supposed to be one of our better officials but he absolutely bottled it. Who was in the VAR for our game do we know?

• Like 2

Â