Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I'd try for Llyod Kelly. We've gone down the more athlete route with our signings this summer ( obviously married with decent footballing ability ) He's a big unit, can defend and get forward. Lot of development in him also. Targett is playing well but he's probably maxed out in terms of how good he is going to get. Don't think there's huge improvement in him. I don't buy into the theory that Bournemouth wouldn't sell because they are challenging for promotion. I think they'd sell at any time if a club met their valuation of a player. Kelly would be a sound investment for Villa.

I can't say I've seen him play, I think any player in the Championship is for sale personally.

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

That's true. Bottom of the barrel stuff.

Same with Hogan, Failed professionals who have once shown a bit of form which they have never recreated for any period of time. You can insert football team instead of professionals in the above quote regarding them as well

Edited by Follyfoot

Difficult to put names out there now in terms of who or what we need to help us out. Part of me thinks we go with what we have, see where we end up and then go big again in the summer. 

I think the recent signing for the ladies team is a great addition - almost seems like a great commercial acquisition rather than a purely footballing one... maybe we will do something similar for the men’s team, but there will have to be a footballing focus as well, obviously. 

Edited by Tayls

39 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

So... we've a bit of time until the next game, so time to turn to Jan window.... 

I think we need the following;

GK - Its  a tradition ;)

LB - Young up and coming to replace Taylor, will be hard to improve on Targett in this window

RW - Another option on the right

Striker - We need a better option than Davis

I'd absolutely love us to try and bring Albrighton home, I'd love to see him on our right in front of Cash.

I'm also serious re Arsenal, I'd test the water for some of their good young players because they need cash for a rebuild. They've some good young players like Saka, Nelson and Maitland-Niles they might be tempted to sell.

Isn't Albrighton transitioning to a defensive role. Same way Elmohamady did when he got close to 30. He would be great as a back up to Cash, really doubt he has the pace to play in an attacking role at a Prem level anymore. 

The only starting position which could do with an upgrade is probably forward right position. Trez isn’t quite good enough but then again Bertrand may grow into that position too. So it’s one which probably isn’t urgent. 

Think another no8/6 to give McGinn competition would be useful. 

Ultimately we will need a creative player. Maybe someone who is developing as if for any reason Jack was to leave in the next two windows it would probably drop our teams position in the league several places

9 minutes ago, villa_shere said:

The only starting position which could do with an upgrade is probably forward right position. Trez isn’t quite good enough but then again Bertrand may grow into that position too. So it’s one which probably isn’t urgent. 

Think another no8/6 to give McGinn competition would be useful. 

Ultimately we will need a creative player. Maybe someone who is developing as if for any reason Jack was to leave in the next two windows it would probably drop our teams position in the league several places

I think left back our weakest position, there’s not a lot behind Targett getting injuried.

I think our signings should all be now go big or go home territory. 

we have a good first XI, we should slowly upgrade now. Spend £30m on a left back and leave it there. 

39 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I'd try for Llyod Kelly. We've gone down the more athlete route with our signings this summer ( obviously married with decent footballing ability ) He's a big unit, can defend and get forward. Lot of development in him also. Targett is playing well but he's probably maxed out in terms of how good he is going to get. Don't think there's huge improvement in him. I don't buy into the theory that Bournemouth wouldn't sell because they are challenging for promotion. I think they'd sell at any time if a club met their valuation of a player. Kelly would be a sound investment for Villa.

I dont think they’d sell for the same reason as Norwich. They sold Ake for £40m in the summer so financially are fine.

As for Kelly, apparently he’s been dreadful this season.....

If we’re going for anyone I’d go for Chris Mepham. Used to play under DS at Brentford, so DS will know him inside out. He’s a big unit too (6”3’) but still comfortable on the ball we know DS likes. Only downside is that he may be injury prone/dodgy knee.

9 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

I think left back our weakest position, there’s not a lot behind Targett getting injuried.

I think our signings should all be now go big or go home territory. 

we have a good first XI, we should slowly upgrade now. Spend £30m on a left back and leave it there. 

We would get Rashica or whoever for less than that. I’d say the fullback should be someone like Justin. I don’t think I’d change Targett for now. But we need competition so one for the future would be great. I’d still for Rashica or even Pepé. Arsenal are having a lot of issues and will start offloading. There are some quality there if used properly. We’ve already seen with Martinez and even Barkley. Players at the right age who are not getting proper chances. 

4 minutes ago, rayk said:

I dont think they’d sell for the same reason as Norwich. They sold Ake for £40m in the summer so financially are fine.

As for Kelly, apparently he’s been dreadful this season.....

If we’re going for anyone I’d go for Chris Mepham. Used to play under DS at Brentford, so DS will know him inside out. He’s a big unit too (6”3’) but still comfortable on the ball we know DS likes. Only downside is that he may be injury prone/dodgy knee.

I’d only get Brooks from them if I’m honest.

8 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We would get Rashica or whoever for less than that. I’d say the fullback should be someone like Justin. I don’t think I’d change Targett for now. But we need competition so one for the future would be great. I’d still for Rashica or even Pepé. Arsenal are having a lot of issues and will start offloading. There are some quality there if used properly. We’ve already seen with Martinez and even Barkley. Players at the right age who are not getting proper chances. 

I understand that approach, and goals always helps, I just want to ensure whoever we buy, the likes of Jack are seeing a player and thinking damn he’s good. 

cash one of the best right backs this year, Martinez the best keeper. We need any signings to deliver or be capable of delivering that level consistently. 

we’ve got Barrie etc for the future, we need it for the now. 

3 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

I understand that approach, and goals always helps, I just want to ensure whoever we buy, the likes of Jack are seeing a player and thinking damn he’s good. 

cash one of the best right backs this year, Martinez the best keeper. We need any signings to deliver or be capable of delivering that level consistently. 

we’ve got Barrie etc for the future, we need it for the now. 

Do you think Jack thought that Cash was a big signing? I actually think that Jack enjoys when he play with Targett. The thing is that I see Targett as a good player (I use to like him even last year when he was below average defensively). That’s why I think we just need depth and potential there. 
We could upgrade by getting a winger. Adding depth physically in the midfield or creativity (for the squad and certain tactics).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Diego Costa set to leave Atletico in Jan. Could it be a decent shout giving him a short term contract here? He’s a winner and might be a good person to have around the squad? 

Would absolutely love him here but don't think it would happen

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

So... we've a bit of time until the next game, so time to turn to Jan window.... 

I think we need the following;

GK - Its  a tradition ;)

LB - Young up and coming to replace Taylor, will be hard to improve on Targett in this window

RW - Another option on the right

Striker - We need a better option than Davis

I'd absolutely love us to try and bring Albrighton home, I'd love to see him on our right in front of Cash.

I'm also serious re Arsenal, I'd test the water for some of their good young players because they need cash for a rebuild. They've some good young players like Saka, Nelson and Maitland-Niles they might be tempted to sell.

I'd be very interested in Emile Smith Rowe as well

• Like 1