Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

8 hours ago, sne said:

With Szoboszlai heading to Leipzig in January I wonder if they are letting some of their current players leave. They have a pretty big squad now but I guess they can afford it. Some interesting fringe players there in midfield and attack..

Nagalsmann rotates so much upfront it's difficult to pinpoint who's out of favour.

Against Man. United they didn't play an out and out striker and had Dani Olmo, Forsberg and Sabitzer all floating upfront. Then next game it was more out and out forwards with Poulsen and Justin Kluivert.

Sorloth isn't starting much but he wasn't great at all at Palace. Isn't Hwang there aswell.

Think Tyler Adams would be an excellent pick up if we want another energetic CM into the mix who's decent against the high press.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We should contact Chelsea and ask about Gallagher, not sure he would be on Chelsea 1st team radar and could pick him up

was going to mention him too. Every time I've seen him play he looks very good (and can't see too much into today's game when they go down to 10)

10 hours ago, sne said:

Looks like Atalanta might be getting Anel Ahmedhodzic from Malmö FF, price about £6.5-7m. We could do a lot worse when it comes to finding a new CB talent. Shame he opted for Bosnia rather than Sweden.

If Atalanta are in for him you can guarantee he's excellent.

I think we'll pick one or two positions we're weak in and try to strengthen.

If I had to guess it would be a forward and central midfielder who can fill in as a 6 or 8. Maybe a left back?

Our bench is still incredibly weak.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

We should contact Chelsea and ask about Gallagher, not sure he would be on Chelsea 1st team radar and could pick him up

It’s usually a decent bet to pick up some of the best youth players from the top 6 clubs if you have scouted them well.

We can all name dozens we could have picked up over the last decade which include some of the best players in the world.

French paper L'equipe claiming that Lyon are willing to sell Memphis Depay for as little as £5m in January (contract is up in the summer). 

Obviously he won't be coming here as he's wanted by bigger clubs but shows just how dire the financial situation might be in French football after the collapse of the TV-deal and Covid-19.

Bargains to be had there.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

French paper L'equipe claiming that Lyon are willing to sell Memphis Depay for as little as £5m in January (contract is up in the summer). 

Obviously he won't be coming here as he's wanted by bigger clubs but shows just how dire the financial situation might be in French football after the collapse of the TV-deal and Covid-19.

Bargains to be had there.

When you say “bigger” clubs are in for him, who are we talking about? 

Just now, OxfordVillan said:

Barcelona wanted him in the summer 

Just now, OxfordVillan said:

Barcelona for example. He's #1 on Koemans list apparently, but £5m is probably still too expensive for them due to their financial situation

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Nagalsmann rotates so much upfront it's difficult to pinpoint who's out of favour.

Against Man. United they didn't play an out and out striker and had Dani Olmo, Forsberg and Sabitzer all floating upfront. Then next game it was more out and out forwards with Poulsen and Justin Kluivert.

Sorloth isn't starting much but he wasn't great at all at Palace. Isn't Hwang there aswell.

Think Tyler Adams would be an excellent pick up if we want another energetic CM into the mix who's decent against the high press.

Nagelsmann is the footballing visionary that the media think Bielsa is. You can never, ever guess his tactics before a match and sometimes I see the team he's put out and think what is he on? But he always proves you wrong. Incredible coach.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Nagelsmann is the footballing visionary that the media think Bielsa is. You can never, ever guess his tactics before a match and sometimes I see the team he's put out and think what is he on? But he always proves you wrong. Incredible coach.

For all the crap the Red Bull teams get, they really do the football things the right way. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Well give us something to talk about then, you damn tease 😅

Not teasing, got nothing to tell. If you want my opinion though I think we will look to add a couple, striker being the main one.

I think there are a number of fringe players that could go like Nakamaba, Hourihane and Davis.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Not teasing, got nothing to tell. If you want my opinion though I think we will look to add a couple, striker being the main one.

I think there are a number of fringe players that could go like Nakamaba, Hourihane and Davis.

I think you're right. I really wanted Nakamba to succeed because he seems like such a likeable chap, but Luiz is 10 times the player. Hourihane is definitely not good enough and Davis... again, it'd be nice to see him kick on but he just hasn't. 

We really do need better options from the bench who can meaningfully impact the game. 

Is Lansbury still here? Maybe we could offer him to Celtic as part exchange for Edouard if we agree to cover 95% of his wages :D 

Hourihane might be a more realistic option in such a deal.

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

It’s going to be such a nice window to have, where I wouldn’t say we need to improve a single position of the starting XI, we’re not battling relegation, we’re not flirting with the playoffs, we can just objectively go in and make rational signings if they are available. Beautiful. 

For the record, I think we’re more likely to see a Lange moneyball signing or two for less than £10m each than a big statement signing. 

• Like 1